The time of year for noise
11-25-2016, 01:35 PM,
The time of year for noise
This time of year we seem to get more noise particularly from the event halls. Like many Expats I have a low tolerance for extremely loud noise.

Many of you may not know there are actually regulations regarding volume and how late these establishments can be open. The problem is that no one is enforcing these rules and in fact some are being paid not to enforce them.

So I have penned a letter to the director of UNESCO in Mexico,, arguing that the uncontrolled noise calls into question the designation of World Heritage Site. Some may be surprised to know that the expansion of Hotel Colorado was halted by a threat from UNESCO to withhold funds because the expansion was not in keeping with the World Heritage designation. So, UNESCO and it's money trumped the city's Government with a show of power. I have suggested that UNESCO consider the Designation., " A world site for loud obnoxious drunks who care for no one but themselves".

If anyone has similar feelings and would like contact info for UNESCO or to have a look at my letter let me know.
11-25-2016, 06:18 PM,
RE: The time of year for noise
We are away from Centro so the occasional fiesta blast goes largely unnoticed, but let me wish your efforts success. Also, another potential action point should be The Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia (INAH) the Federal agency responsible for the preservation, protection and promotion of Mexico's cultural and historic heritage and the enforcement arm of applicable laws and regulations directed toward that end. They maintain an office and staff here and were the party that secured an amparo (injunction) to halt the Casa Colorado expansion. The hotel owner subsequently negotiated a reduction in size and height with INAH and construction was allowed to resume. INAH here has also been leading the effort to have outdoor tables, chairs and awnings removed from public walkways as they feel the city vistas are negatively impacted thus placing the World Heritage designation at risk.
They may consider the extreme occasional noise such a threat.
Good luck.
11-25-2016, 08:25 PM,
Jesm

I appreciate the reply and will explore the INAH option thanks so much
11-26-2016, 07:34 AM,
I lived in GTO for 19 years. After awhile I seemed to naturally become inured to the noise of roof dogs/burros/cocks/salons de fiesta/fiestas in honor of whatever saint and the drunken yahoos on the other side of the Panoramica from me. I chilled out - maybe became a bit Mexican over time. Wish I was still there. My recommendation is to relax as you wont win the noise annoyance battle regardless of how much one can convince UNESCO to pressure the local leaders by its withholding of funds.
11-26-2016, 01:19 PM,
Agree Bill. Fighting it is an exercise in futility IMO.
When traveling I always check places for bars near by as I know from experience little sleep if they are there. As far as GTO it is far better than many including PV, Zihuatanejo, Acapulco & Manzanillo.
Never had a problem sleeping at your place or Alicia's.
11-26-2016, 04:24 PM,
Wow you guys are pretty pessimistic in fact a lot of progress has already been made. There is now a noise Zar in Guanajuato and 2nd offenses result in a hefty fine. I am aware of one bar that has lost it's music license altogether and bars can no longer play music until 4 am. There has been numerous articles in the local papers as well. So from what I have seen I remain optimistic. After all there is loud and then there is loud loud which is just plain wrong. The people attending some of these events are actually getting permanent hearing loss
11-27-2016, 04:40 PM,
Good luck with your efforts, Pianoheat. Our neighborhood has had relative success limiting/containing the loud, brain-rattling rock concerts at the baseball stadium, via petitions, official complaints, publishing photos of underage drinkers, etc. These concerted efforts take weeks at a minimum, before obtaining any results, And, like any urban environment, it's Whack-A-Mole. You always need a Plan B and possibly Plan C if the current nighttime noise doesn't subside by 2 am. Foam earplugs only reduce or eliminate the high frequencies - not the amplified drums and bass guitar that are causing the walls to vibrate in the first place. My recommendation is to download a "white noise" app to your Android or IOS smartphone or tablet, set it next to your pillow, and plug in your earphones.

You can also purchase standalone white noise machines on Amazon, Mercado Libre, or eBay as well. There are start-ups on KickStarter and Indiego advertising relatively expensive ear plugs that eliminate the lower frequencies. Initial reviews are positive, but like with anything new on Kickstarter, you're taking a risk
11-28-2016, 09:15 AM,
I've been coming to G'to regularly since 2000 and have lived here full-time for 11 years and I find this post a little offensive. If a person does not like the city or neighborhood where they live, they should move to a location that pleases them. I especially appreciate #4 and #6 and #7. Doing something about yourself is preferable to trying to change your neighbors or to threaten punitive monetary events. Even though a foreigner has chosen to make this home, one is still a cultural guest. Remember that it is illegal for a foreigner to participate in any political endeavors in Mexico and that is open to many interpretations.
11-28-2016, 10:44 AM,
I personally don't have much of a problem with noise but have been trying to help out friends. Trying to solve noise pollution is a worthy endeavor in my view and there is nothing political about. My wife is a Mexican National she handles all the political stuff. I find your post petty and kind of personal at least the people who didn't agree with me did it in a nice way unlike you.
11-28-2016, 11:16 AM,
gotta agree..your reply sounds like..if you dont like it get out...not a very enlightened viewpoint

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to register for the Covid Vaccine in Mexico - Now Open for 60+ year olds Glenn Wilson 10 2,838 02-24-2021, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Glenn Wilson
  The loneliness of the part-time expat...conversation, anyone? louisarogers 5 2,360 05-06-2020, 02:14 PM
Last Post: jesm
  What time is it? James Doran 7 2,072 04-30-2020, 04:26 PM
Last Post: DonJuane
  Is it time to put this lame pony down to rest? DonJuane 8 2,295 04-30-2020, 04:12 PM
Last Post: DonJuane
  noise? pianoheat 0 688 01-27-2020, 10:30 AM
Last Post: pianoheat
  Time for us to look for a better plumber datgnat 4 1,786 09-02-2019, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Mikel1
  SunBrunch -- TIME CHANGE Kay Curtis 0 1,251 10-27-2018, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Kay Curtis
  Moving to Gto with a cat, and temporary residency—this year! junruh 7 3,123 02-23-2018, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Clay01
  Party time! Sandra Ward 0 1,117 02-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Sandra Ward
  Time Change in Mexico Kay Curtis 0 1,316 10-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Kay Curtis