Is it time to put this lame pony down to rest?
04-22-2020, 05:34 PM,
Is it time to put this lame pony down to rest?
With constant new Facebook groups popping up regarding Guanajuato every day, is it time to look at retiring the GTOLIST? The readership has been dwindling for a while now and less and less information of the time is being covered, particularly during this pandemic. Plus the old leadership and method of operating things is so set in stone, I don’t think it will be ever be able to open up to new and fresh ideas. With that I don’t anticipate that a changing of the guard would be well accepted to begin with and with everyone already trying to re-invent what this repository once stood for over on Facebook, “why bother” might be the best way of looking at it. Additionally the level of jaded responses and artistic-sarcasm added to near everyone’s comment here has grown to the point it is no longer even noticed as being out of line. Not only has it become normal behavior by the moderators at large but the very public over the years seems to have become “good with it”.

So is it time to lay this lame pony down to rest?
04-22-2020, 06:30 PM,
RE: Is it time to put this lame pony down to rest?
You seem to assume the universality of Facebook. It’s not exactly correct. Some, like me, take strong exception to the ethics and the core business model of Facebook and totally avoid their manipulation and deceptions. This forum so far works for me and ultimately the marketplace will decide what outlets thrive, or not.
04-22-2020, 08:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2020, 08:25 PM by admin.)
Don Juane, you are welcome to post whatever you like here - or not post at all. The decision is yours. Please choose the GTO market model that best suits you.

Since you are a relative newbie to gtolist let me refer you to a few posts from the forum's founding year:
https://www.gtolist.com/forum/thread-46....censorship
https://www.gtolist.com/forum/thread-293...censorship
https://www.gtolist.com/forum/thread-138...censorship

I have allowed (and underwritten) the list without a change in its mission and will continue to let the list operate as it has been designed .

Like any consumer, you are free to take your "business" wherever your needs will be best met. I'm sure this reply will generate a most lengthy and extremely verbose response from you - but I will not go further in 'defending' the existence of the list. I am too ill with Parkinson's and now type too slowly to bother getting into a pissing match with you.

Bill
04-22-2020, 10:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2020, 10:42 PM by DonJuane.)
Not directed or about you Bill, it's the "top dogs" you've left in charge here that continue to spread the ill will. Sorry for your illness and I pray for your continued well being.
04-23-2020, 01:30 AM,
Thank you for what you do, Bill. I find this site refreshing, and with far less drama than the various sites on Facebook. I've always considered this a no-nonsense informational venue. Please keep it up, and I hope for the best for your health.
Even if we could turn back, we'd probably never end up where we started  -  Haruki Murakami
04-23-2020, 09:20 AM,
I used to enjoy some of the participants here too but like I have stated before, the only reason I joined and started commenting here in the first place was because of my disdain for the two "mean grannies" who appear to run this joint and who have been historically so nasty to Doyle. I have learned something from Doyle, however and by witnessing his Christian mannerisms, whether he is a Christian or not (in contrast to no one I've met claiming to be a Christian having even come close) yet Doyle's ability to turn the other cheek over the years when the "mean grannies" here have come after him with their nasty little quips and condescending remarks is something we can all learn from and especially me.

Still it's hard for me personally for some reason to let the "mean grannies" continue with misdeeds here as defacto leaders of our community without calling them out. And I hope one can understand my definition of an "mean granny". It's someone you realize you are stuck with for life and you feel sorry for yourself when you look at other families and see a sweet loving grandma and for some reason you have to live with what you ended up with, some bitter old biddy that spreads both her gossip and ultimate misery, maybe even sitting on the porch evenings and tossing pebbles at passing kids. Or there's "Jesabellle" or "jesm" here, the other "mean granny" and sidekick of mean grannie #1. And with seldom a true direction (or at least never one seeming to be uplifting whatsoever) "mean granny" #2 always appears to be lapping after the lead dog of misery here, granny #1.

But as I said, this place is short lived. You don't create such a condescending and sarcastic environment and expect people to flock here. Someone has stated that "the market will determine" the success of this repository but I've noticed granny#1 has already jumped ship and been seen catting around CivilSMA and Lovers of Guanajuato. The zero, zero, zero, zero responses and participation here mean one of two things however, either things are as I say and no one wants to participate with these (with of course notable and not-yet mentioned stand-ins), the two "flat tires" running the show or b) I simply don't get it and the "sour milk and worm-filled cookie" mood portrayed here runs through this entire community and in reality no one cares about anyone and they only drop in from time to time to see what they can scoop up for themselves, leaving nothing and then moving on. Either way, as I say it's "short lived". At least over on Facebook we can pick up a tidbit or two among the hundreds of door pictures and panoramas over and over with the same view of the same city-scape with each appended by the word "awesome". So all is not lost.
04-28-2020, 10:35 PM,
I totally disagree with the initial post of this thread.
gtolist.com will be around five years from now. Can you say the same for Facebook?
And the fact is, Facebook is evil. Watch the film "The Great Hack".
04-29-2020, 02:49 PM,
Don:

Get some sleep. Or better, take a trip down to the San Agustinillo playa. Let the water wash through your head for awhile. That's what I'm gonna do. Nothing like a thousand kilometers.

James
04-30-2020, 04:12 PM,
James:

Please explain what a beach would do for me and why you think a beach has anything to do with the subject I brought forward here? Or are you one who I warned about who has been here so long that you have begun to accept condescending behavior witnessed against certain undeserving individuals as the accepted new norm?

Otherwise I'd advise highly against attempting to travel southward right now. There's a good chance a you might land inwhat I've heard called "a special quarantine chamber".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The loneliness of the part-time expat...conversation, anyone? louisarogers 5 900 05-06-2020, 02:14 PM
Last Post: jesm
  What time is it? James Doran 7 574 04-30-2020, 04:26 PM
Last Post: DonJuane
  Time for us to look for a better plumber datgnat 4 586 09-02-2019, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Mikel1
  SunBrunch -- TIME CHANGE Kay Curtis 0 364 10-27-2018, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Kay Curtis
  Party time! Sandra Ward 0 517 02-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Sandra Ward
  Time Change in Mexico Kay Curtis 0 679 10-27-2017, 11:40 AM
  What is the normal time to get a resident card? Blackpool 2 1,039 02-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Last Post: jesm
  The time of year for noise pianoheat 10 2,437 11-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Last Post: pianoheat
  SunBrunch - Apr 2015 &time change Kay Curtis 0 1,217 04-01-2015, 08:50 AM
  Seeking many of these 1,276 top books of all time Doyle Phillips 0 1,457 03-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Doyle Phillips