Earthquake hits Guanajuato State
09-04-2021, 02:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2021, 02:17 AM by DonJuane.)
Earthquake hits Guanajuato State
https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthqu...exico.html

One thing that has always come to my mind while peering down into the "punch bowl" of the amphitheater of GTO is, what kind of massive devastation would result from an earthquake here. If you look at the construction, most of it is from 3 to 4 stories of simply one brick cemented on top of another, no rebar, no bracing, no nothing. Can you imagine what might happen? I would imagine all the buildings around the perimeter would fold and all go rolling like a land-slide into the city center where they would crush all the buildings there. It could be the largest disaster to hit this area in centuries.

Anyway, not to panic anyone but certainly food for thought......
09-05-2021, 06:05 PM,
RE: Earthquake hits Guanajuato State
Before continuing, a brief shout-out to all the mummies of Guanajuato. Someone reported to me that the activity roster has been switched here with the mummy museum and that is why it is frozen in eternal silence. So mummies i have to say to hold tight, I will be among you soon and with that my postings will be as frequent as your own. So everyone, please stand by.

Otherwise in other top news, all the recent seismic activity is believed by scientists to signal the forming of a new volcano in the Michoacan area, which I am sure everyone is excited about ....

https://www.ngenespanol.com/ecosistemas/...exico/amp/
09-05-2021, 06:10 PM,
English mas o menos:

A SEISMIC SWARM SUGGESTS THE BIRTH OF A NEW VOLCANO IN MEXICO

FRONT VIEW OF THE PARICUTÍN, IN THE MICHOACÁN-GUANAJUATO VOLCANIC CORRIDOR PHOTO: DEAGOSTINI/GETTY IMAGES

2021 could be the year in which a new volcano is born in Michoacán, says unam.
In less than a month, 242 micro-earthquakes shook the lands of the state of Michoacán. Some of them were so subtle, that they were hardly perceived on the earth's crust. People were able to continue their lives as if nothing was happening. What they did not imagine is that, with those minimal telluric movements, the depths of the planet were auguring the birth of a new volcano in Mexico.

A colossus of stone and magma

Geologists at the Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) who have monitored the volcano's birth have described the preliminary phenomenon as a seismic swarm. Microsisms are clear indicators that the movement of magma into the Earth's interior is not only active, but promises to ignite the activity of this new geophysical formation.

Mexico's new volcano is expected to emerge in the vicinity of Uruapan, a small, rural Michoacan town. From May 1 to June 8 of this year,the Michoacán-Guanajuato volcanic corridor has recorded these minimum telluric movements, which have increased in intensity as time progresses. Some of them have already recorded a magnitude greater than 4,scientists reported.

Despite the excitement that the possible appearance of a new volcano has generated, geophysicists emphasize the need to create a safety plan for the local population. Finally, if the stone colossus will be active, it could bring with it potential risks for the locals. Among the most noteworthy are the emissions of toxic gases and hydrothermal manifestations.

We suggest: UNAM declares extinct the Ayoloco Glacier of Iztaccíhuatl and places a commemorative plaque

A new companion for the Paricutín
new volcano in Mexico
Photo: DeAgostini/Getty Images
The most emblematic volcano in Michoacan lands has always been the Paricutín. It seems that he will no longer be the most famous. Although it does not yet have a name — because it has not even emerged from the bowels of the earth proper — it is possible that in the near future, the new volcano could cause violent eruptions. Meanwhile, deformations in the landscape are already visible near Uruapan.

According to the Institute of Geophysics of the UNAM, there are more than 1,200 small volcanoes in this corridor that are not only active,but are potential dangers for the inhabitants. Beyond the expulsion of ignited material and toxic gases, the tremors that can cause this type ofgeological ormations can be powerful.

Denis Xavier Francois Legrand, a researcher at the Institute, stressed the need for careful observation of the natural phenomenon, since "it is not known how long it can last." Despite strongly advising close scientific surveillance, he said the movement of magma does not always reach the surface.
09-07-2021, 10:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2021, 10:21 AM by jesm.)
The recent shaker caused me to look for other seismic events impacting GTO.
In April, 1845 a huge earthquake rattled much of central Mexico causing widespread damages. A lack of population, little news media and accurate seismic measurement devices kept this event largely unreported to the outside world.
Using modern methodology today’s seismologists rate this 1845 quake at a minimum 8 on the Richter scale. That equals the hugely damaging 1985 Mex City event that killed 5,000 people and damaged thousands of structures.
Detailed reports of exact damages here do not exist, but Guanajuato Capital was cited as having been impacted in Mexico City newspapers describing the 1845 event.
09-07-2021, 10:23 AM,
Very interesting. It looks like you just can't let your guard down anywhere!
09-07-2021, 10:01 PM,
What's encouraging though is the preservation of the architecture in Guanajuato. Buildings dating to the 1600's remain standing, unlike Costa Rica where the towns have little historical character because of earthquake destruction. Walking around Guanajuato I see houses built directly on bedrock, a saving grace compared to houses built on lake beds like Mexico City.
09-07-2021, 10:50 PM,
Just had another one hit 30 minutes ago in Acapulco! Sounds like the apocalypse!

http://www.ssn.unam.mx/#

Even the seismographic instutute is only delivering via stupid Twitter now. Unbelievable!
09-14-2021, 12:50 PM,
DonJuane, thanks for posting the translated articles.
If you're interested in this sort of thing, it's well worth a visit to the Parícutin volcano, which is just a little bit west of Uruapan. If you want some specifics about it, send me a PM.
09-14-2021, 02:39 PM,
Yes, I brake for both lakes and volcanoes! Send info. We spend a lot of time in Patzcuaro/Uruapan area when resting up before dropping down to the beach area.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guanajuato English Speaking AL-Anon meeting Forestmoods 0 39 04-03-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Forestmoods
  English speaking Al-Anon in Guanajuato Mexico Forestmoods 0 179 11-15-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Forestmoods
  Guanajuato Symphony 2023 Izzenhood 0 573 09-06-2022, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Izzenhood
  US women welcome to come to Guanajuato for abortion pills and abortion assistance roberb7 0 668 12-22-2021, 02:00 PM
Last Post: roberb7
  Orthopedist in Guanajuato city suzyngto 0 783 08-26-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: suzyngto
  Guanajuato Municipal League baseball roberb7 3 1,473 04-23-2021, 01:36 PM
Last Post: roberb7
  Very famous people who have visited Guanajuato Izzenhood 3 1,521 02-19-2021, 12:31 AM
Last Post: mario carranza
  News Wire Mexico: Guanajuato News Glenn Wilson 3 1,691 10-15-2020, 09:47 AM
Last Post: MissMyBike
  Official website for City of Guanajuato ?? Doyle Phillips 11 3,260 04-02-2020, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jesm
  A soup in Guanajuato? Doyle Phillips 2 1,687 03-24-2020, 12:29 AM
Last Post: datgnat