Church Bells
11-10-2015, 09:55 AM,
Church Bells
Is there a source (preferably internet based) where I can learn how to interpret the church bells in Guanajuato?
11-10-2015, 10:08 AM,
RE: Church Bells
I know of no Internet source, though perhaps one exists. Twenty-one years ago, when I first came here, I had the same curiosity. I asked perhaps ten different people about the bells and got ten different answers. My conclusions: First, no one knows. Second, people here don't like to say, "No sé."

Don
11-10-2015, 10:30 AM,
Why not go to a church that rings its bells and ask the curate?
11-10-2015, 10:46 AM,
On my first trip to Mexico in 1986 I went to Puerto Vallarta where the main Cathedral there would toll at least 50 times a day.
Maybe 10 times in an hour or at 3:00 AM. Nobody had a explanation.
Eventually over the next several years it became less frequent but still no rhyme or reason to the pattern.
11-10-2015, 02:09 PM,
Sounds like I am going to have to visit some churches and talk to some bell ringers!

I thought there might be some kind of pattern that would allow me to figure out what time it was, but sounds like that is just not the case.

Thanks for your responses.
11-10-2015, 11:02 PM,
It's probably just because they want to.... That is how a lot of things occur here and as stated before if people don't know they will just make something up. Not part of the Mexican culture to say that you don't know the answer to something (although I do feel this is changing)
11-10-2015, 11:08 PM,
Here's an explanation: http://www.mexico-insights.com/judysblog...urch+bells

However, the Templo de la Compañia doesn't follow this. (This was the church that rang their bells for 20 minutes non-stop at 9 PM Sunday. Grrr!) I haven't been able to decipher any pattern for it.
11-10-2015, 11:22 PM,
I've tried counting them before here and other places in Mexico and sometimes they go on for soooo long it surely can't be a number then other times just once or twice even though it's like 6 am. Then they seem to do the cannons at random times too... I have been told they are for festivals which there seems to be one every weekend, so I feel it will continue to be a mystery but I would love to know if there is any reasons here :)
11-11-2015, 12:24 AM,
I heard that they do the "cannons" when there's a funeral for a child.
11-11-2015, 08:19 AM,
The Compania was celebrating its 250th birthday this past weekend which is the reason for the excessive bell ringing on Sunday.