Church Bells
11-11-2015, 10:12 AM,
RE: Church Bells
The linked article is interesting but doesn't seem to address the patterns I am picking up in el centro, particularly early in the morning.

I appreciate all the input and will add any information I might find.
11-16-2015, 11:41 PM,
There is a bell that tells time. I believe it is an electronic "bell" that is located somewhere behind the San Diego church or near it on Alonso. It is not as loud as church bells, so it is hard to hear during the day when there is so much other noise. But, it can easily be heard at night from my house a few blocks away. First is a series of "ding-dongs", one for every quarter hour, followed by a series of "bongs", one for the hour. Thus, 1:30 would be, "ding-dong, ding-dong, bong." 5:45 would be, "ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong, bong, bong, bong, bong, bong." The reason I think it is electronic is that both parts of the chime do not always work; also, occasionally it is "off" the correct time.

I know of no church bells that toll the time. They are either calls to mass or celebrating a festival or special event
11-17-2015, 09:45 AM,
I think I can hear the one that tells the time during the night. I was paying closer attention to it last night and I think I picked up the pattern you are describing.

But, as day approaches, it gets drowned out by the cacophony of other bells that just make no sense to me.

I find the one that does tell the time comforting, though. It lends some sort of order to what is otherwise rather chaotic.
11-18-2015, 09:22 PM,
The church adjacent to Instituto LaSalle on Paseo de La Presa recently reactivated their automatic bells after a two year hiatus while undergong renovation. There is a clear pattern to the chiming.
At 15 past, two bells;half-hour, four bells and at 45 past, you hear six. At the hour you get an introductory eight bells then immediately the time of the hour is counted by a series of stronger rings that peel out the hour at hand. Thus for example at 12 noon, or midnight, we hear 8 + 12, twenty total rings. On Sunday mornings only, the call to mass occurs at 11am then repeated at 11:15am, this bears no relation to the automatic time-telling and seems to be a manual, joyfull peeling of loud and succesive strikes without a fixed number of rings. What great sounds to fill our neighborhood around the clock.
11-25-2015, 07:36 PM,
I live near San Sebastian and have learned that regular ringing warns of a mass approaching. I think it is 10 & 5 minutes and then a frantic "you're LATE!"
There is another pattern though, "ding - ding - dingdingding" which indicates that someone has died. These usually go on at random times for about 24 hours.
12-01-2015, 04:27 PM,
How to "interpret" church bell gonging in GTO and other global locations.

1st, one needs to know that the CATHOLIC CHURCH has dominated MEXICO and Latin America for 5 centuries. They raped the indigenous women and children on a regular basis, stole their land and money, killed very many of the indigenous peoples, and even prevented them from studying anything other than Church DOGMA for 5 centuries, unless they were of pure Spanish blood.

In GTO there are over 20 very wealthy Catholic edifices that attest to the wealth and power of the Catholic Church here. The aerial bombs and bell-gonging are their way of telling YOU that, not only will they do here whatever they want, they enjoy the POWER that they have over the minds of the people and political players here ( and other locations worldwide), and NO ONE can tell them to stop the constant barrage of DISSONANCE they perpetrate.
12-01-2015, 04:36 PM,
To each his own, we love the bells, find them welcoming and reassuring in their regularity. Ring on!
12-01-2015, 08:20 PM,
Yes, the regularity of the Catholic Church still mind-controlling Latin America and trumpeting its' vast power over the population with aerial bombs and massive bell-gonging at pre-dawn hours is very reassuring.
12-01-2015, 09:08 PM,
Time for your medication, Shlomo.
12-11-2015, 12:25 AM,
Time for your enema Coulter.......