Any hikers here?
12-20-2012, 11:00 AM,
Any hikers here?
I did my first-ever hike in Mexico, up La Bufa, yesterday. I would like to do at least one more trip like this before New Year's Day, but I need some help with it. I need to get together with someone knowledgeable about good routes in this area, trailheads, etc.

Also, the Goggle Maps coverage of areas outside of GTO's city limits is not adequate. I did a Google search for a better map, and didn't come up with anything. Does anybody know where good topographic maps are available? The city engineering department, for example?
12-20-2012, 11:41 AM,
RE: Any hikers here?
[Image: logoINEGI.gif]
Try the INEGI website 1st and if they are not closed for the holidays their local office is at:
Centro de Informaci?n INEGI Guanajuato
Calle De Sope?a 1
Zona Centro C.P. 36000
Tels. (01473) 732-3892 ext. 7050 Fax (01473) 732-3892
Horario de lunes a viernes de 9:00 a 16:00 hrs.
Servicio de consulta y venta de productos y servicios institucionales
12-20-2012, 08:39 PM,
As a active 70 year old hiker I would appreciate any info about hiking in the area and/or others wanting to do some day hikes, I walk 4 to 8 miles a day depending on terrain. As a example I hiked 4 miles up in the Trinity Alps in California to Lower Falls a rise of 2,500' taking 4 hours up & 3 1/2 hours down.
I will be spending the whole month of January in Guanajuato.
12-21-2012, 02:32 PM,
Quote:Try the INEGI website 1st and if they are not closed for the holidays

They are closed until Jan. 7. However, it looks like they have what I'm looking for. Thanks for the advice!
12-21-2012, 07:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-21-2012, 07:26 PM by WRT.)
Las playas de Guanajuato area is superb, you cant find that on a map, pm me and I can tell you how to get out there. There is a small fee since the land is private but you will have a bi-lingual guide. The Trinity Alps in Califas has nothing on this paradise :D

[Image: Rigs12.jpg]
[Image: YJ.jpg]
www.MinorityRacer.com GTO es tuyo...Todo bajo Control
[Image: Forum_Sig_Pic.jpg]
12-22-2012, 12:14 AM,
RE WRT I have had the good fortune of going out into the boonies of GTO [like 5 miles from el Centro] and into very different and very beautiful landscapes. I highly recommend him as a guide to the seldom seen back country of GTO - You don't need a 4WD - you can walk it if you know where to go. A nice simple route would be from the Panoramica above Pastitas [go to the right] and then up the next dirt road [left] to the pueblo of Monte San Nicolas - you can then continue on to Santa Rosa where you can take the next Flecha back down to GTO - but all in all this is a tame route, WRT can get you really inside the hills. Another way to do this is to climb el Meco [left to a mirador on the Panoramica] and then up - no trail - as you get to the summit veer to the left and go counterclockwise to the cruz on top - then go across the llano over the other edge and down into Monte SN. It is hard to get lost - just go down and if you hit a road follow it down and eventually you'll be back in GTO
12-22-2012, 12:50 AM,
I found a map for Monte San Nicol?s: http://www.bikemap.net/route/99481
This one is 22 miles. Is there a way to cut this down a bit?
12-22-2012, 10:02 AM,
That's a nice map. From the 2nd 'a' in Guanajuatowhich is basically at the junction of Pastitas and the Panoramica then follow along the route to Monte San Nicolas and Santa Rosa de Lima where you reach the highway. A bus will come by every 15 minutes.

Once you get to the highway walk to the Right to bus stop which is 150 meters or so away. Coming down into GTO you can get off either at Dos Rios or at the Plaza de loa Ranas - you don't need to go all the way to the bus station
12-22-2012, 11:28 AM,
Extreme Hiking in Guanajuato
Great info Duck! Make sure you have good traction shoes and gloves, some of those routes are really loose and if you fall on your hands the sharp rocks can hurt:)

I used to gorilla glue on rubber tire compound to my new balance, the compound was pieces from a sticky competition rock crawling tire, it worked great when scouting new trails and marking the stages for rock crawling events on steep inclines.

Enjoy the sierra y los cerros de gto.
www.MinorityRacer.com GTO es tuyo...Todo bajo Control
[Image: Forum_Sig_Pic.jpg]
12-26-2012, 03:55 PM,
Went on another hike on Christmas day
I took a bus to Las Teresas, and the end of the bus route is conveniently at the top of a hill. I went directly west from there and picked out the mountain (or a large hill, if you're from the Pacific Northwest) that looked like the right difficulty level.

Now for a couple of questions for future hikes:

[Image: las_teresas_edificio.jpg]

This picture was taken looking southwest. What is this "edificio" at the top of the mountain, which includes a statue?

[Image: behind_la_bufa.jpg]

What is the name of the "knob" behind La Bufa?