Any hikers here?
12-26-2012, 05:50 PM,
RE: Any hikers here?
Robert you need a quick refresher course in Guanajuato101 - any tour brochure or gto travel site should do. The mountain the edificio is located on, Cubilete, is consdered the official if not actual geographic center of Mexico [try to figure how the decided on that] and the statue you see is not the first of its kind on the site. The original one was bombed during the Cristeros War a time in which over 90,000 were killed around here during a dispute between Church and State less than 100 years ago
02-22-2013, 04:53 PM,
INEGI
I finally got to the INEGI office. (It's conveniently in the same building as IMSS, and I'm in the midst of the paperwork to get on IMSS.)

When I went in there, the guy (who speaks English, and is helpful) told me that if I brought in a flash drive, they could just copy the maps, in both JPG and TIFF format, to the drive for you. So, the maps are on my hard disk now.
02-23-2013, 03:54 PM,
That's great news - what did you actually get for maps and what else could be available?
02-24-2013, 01:28 PM,
I've got scans (they are not in Google Earth format) of two topographic maps, about 45 x 34 inches if viewed full size. The scale is 1:50,000, and the contours are ten meters.

One of them has Marfil near the lower left, and Trancas (on route 51, about 10 km. NW of Dolores Hidalgo) at the upper right.

The other one has Marfil near the upper left, and Agua Zarca (about 15 km. N of Juventino Rosas) near the lower right.

I'm pretty sure they have maps for all of Mexico.
05-21-2013, 10:46 AM,
Cerro Sirena
Went on a hike yesterday. Went up Temezcuitate to Panoramica, then followed Plateros until it got to the foot of a decent-sized hill. Went to the top of it; took me an hour up, and an hour down. Good view of the city and the general La Bufa area.

My topographic map doesn't show a name for this one, but Google Maps says that Plateros runs into a street called Cerro de Ejido.

The topo does give a name for the next hill to the north: Cerro Sirena. This is a bigger hill, and looks interesting. I'll try it next time. There's a river, Piletas, that separates it from the hill that I went up, and the the river had some water in it; not actually flowing water, but puddles left over from the last time it rained.
07-15-2013, 05:06 PM,
Santa Rosa de Lima
Santa Rosa de Lima is on the road to Dolores Hidalgo, past Valenciana. Went there yesterday. Hiked up the "Cerro de Antenas" which provides great views, especially south toward GTO. That didn't burn up enough calories, so I went up the next hill to the west.

There's lots of possibilities in this area. If you're really ambitious, there's a back road headed south toward El Cubo, and you could use it to walk all the way back to GTO.