GTO Short Term Housing
08-26-2017, 11:27 AM,
GTO Short Term Housing
Hi Folks,
I'm new to the forum ?

I'm looking at staying in Guanajuato for November and part of December, and I'm looking for a 2-3 bedroom place (as I have friends who will be coming to visit / stay as well).

I am here right now, staying in a great home stay for 5 weeks, but for something longer term, with friends coming to visit, would prefer my own space.

I've been looking at AirBnB and The Chopper.

Three questions:
1) has anyone had experience doing short term rentals (1 or 2 months) from The Chopper?
If so, what was your experience with your deposit?
And, did you find that people were happy to do rentals of 1 or 2 months?
Or, do they expect 6month / 1 year contracts?

2) Prices on AirBnB seem to be quite a bit higher than in the chopper.
Has anyone had experience with seeing the quality of AirBnB properties vs Chopper properties?
Are the houses rented on airbnb usually much nicer? Or, is it more a matter of price gouging tourists?

3) On the same topic of AirBnB, it looks like the properties in San Miguel on AirBnB are much more luxiourious for the same, or less, money than the ones in Guanajuato. Has this been anyone else's experience? Is this simply an issue of supply and demand (there are more retired expats in San Miguel, thus, more luxury housing available, hence lower prices)? I really love Guanajuato, but as I'm planning to have some friends visit who have not been to Mexico before, I want to make sure I have a comfortable place for them to stay.

Many thanks for your thoughts and your help!
08-26-2017, 01:22 PM,
RE: GTO Short Term Housing
I'm very new here as well, and my Spanish is still pretty weak, so I wasn't ready to deal with the Chopper ads. I have lined up a place through a Craigslist ad and yes I'm probably paying quite a bit extra for it. However, I see a lot of fliers (for apartments) put up, some with photos, some with English as I walk around the University. For example, there is a notice board inside the entryway to the UG Central Library, and another one inside the entryway to "Los Alpes" restaurant (almost across the street from the UG steps). Also, there is a real estate office (Casa Solaris: http://www.realestateinguanajuato.com.mx/en) near the Compañía church & the university, with a few rentals posted in their window. One I saw the other day looked reasonably priced.

So, I don't have much information yet to properly answer your questions, but here are perhaps a couple more resources for you.
08-26-2017, 08:08 PM,
Hello!
Thanks for the info re: the real estate office. I hadn't realized they had one.

Many thanks!
08-27-2017, 10:26 AM,
Here's a resource that worked for me once: https://www.vivanuncios.com.mx/s-renta-i...98l10334p1
08-31-2017, 03:16 PM,
I went to Casa Solaris today, and they were incredibly nice and helpful.

I don't have an apartment yet, but, I have a feeling they will be a great resource!!
08-31-2017, 07:15 PM,
If anyone can find your ideal place here it will be Gerardo at Casa Solaris.
Chopper targeted rental market are student housing, smaller, cheaper.
Your SMA comparison regarding rentals here is perceptive. Limited supply here means higher costs. The larger expat population there surely contributes to more choices plus Far stricter building codes here to protect historic and cultural ambience limits new constructions of scale.
Same state, similar sizes but different worlds.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TV Broadcast Antenna Locations in GTO MissMyBike 1 402 04-09-2023, 01:04 PM
Last Post: roberb7
  GTO organization Las Libres stepping up distribution of abortion pills roberb7 0 590 07-15-2022, 03:12 PM
  GTO has a dog whisperer jesm 0 594 07-04-2022, 07:09 AM
Last Post: jesm
  Fly with dog to GTO M Webber 1 803 01-10-2022, 02:47 AM
Last Post: mr bill
  Getting to know GTO wmeleney 2 1,081 10-25-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: wmeleney
  COVID conditions and restrictions in GTO wmeleney 2 1,180 09-03-2021, 10:15 PM
Last Post: DonJuane
  COVID-19 vaccinations in GTO March 19-21 roberb7 3 1,727 03-25-2021, 09:59 PM
  Moving Household items and tools to GTO M Webber 2 1,437 02-02-2021, 09:39 PM
Last Post: mr bill
  Oxygen shortage in GTO roberb7 0 1,003 01-13-2021, 06:24 PM
  Shipping Parcels to GTO from US MissMyBike 2 1,481 11-16-2020, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Mikel1