US stimulus payments
04-16-2020, 01:45 PM,
US stimulus payments
“Several million people who filed their taxes via H&R Block, TurboTax and other popular services were unable to get their payments because the IRS did not have their direct deposit information on file, according to the Treasury, companies and experts. … IRS and Treasury officials acknowledged they are aware of these issues and are working to fix them. A Treasury spokeswoman noted that the IRS processed nearly 80 million payments in less than three weeks.” WaPo
04-16-2020, 03:37 PM,
RE: US stimulus payments
Good article, jesm. (Here's the link.) Another reason the IRS may not have one's direct-deposit information is if one hasn't received a refund in several years.

I tried the "Get My Payment" tool yesterday and again today, and got a "Payment Status Not Available" screen: "According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time." And why might that be? I hit the FAQ link to find out, and the only reason listed that made any sense was "if you recently filed your return." I filed mine on March 27? Is that "recently"? Beats me. Guess I'll just keep trying.

The great advantage of direct deposit, assuming it works, is that one avoids getting a check bearing Trump's signature.
04-16-2020, 04:11 PM,
Same here, amigo. Error messages, then more. Never got thru.
Incompetence seems the norm in DC.
Stay home, stay well.
04-16-2020, 07:41 PM,
For some exPats this may cause a snag: (from the Get My Payment FAQ page)
Eligibility and General Information

Who is eligible?

U.S. residents
will receive the Economic Impact Payment of $1,200 for individual or head of household filers
04-16-2020, 08:10 PM,
I think the person who wrote that screwed up, Mr. Admin. Although some initial reporting used the word "residents," later reports used words like "taxpayers" or "citizens" or just "Americans." And so does the IRS itself, most of the time. See here, for example. It now appears that citizens and permanent residents are eligible, regardless of where they actually live.

All of this is happening relatively fast (for government), so the occasional snafu shouldn't be too surprising.
04-17-2020, 12:09 AM,
Don, you make a valid point that the rules and regs are a moving target and can change with absoluteness from moment to moment. One catch-all could be the fact that US citizens. regardless of where they reside are obligated to file a rerurn unless exempt for some reason..
04-17-2020, 04:11 PM,
Since I had owed the IRS money in both 2018 and 2019, the IRS did not have my direct deposit information. I was able to update that information on their Get My Payment web site a couple of days ago. To demonstrate my identity I needed to provide the AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) amounts on my 2018 and 2019 returns. Hopefully I'll get my Stimulus payment in a week or less.
The alternative is receiving a check at the address on my 2019 return, which happened to be my San Miguel mail forwarder's address in Laredo. I imagine this "Plan B" would eventually succeed as well. But, the operative word is "eventually".
04-17-2020, 08:03 PM,
We always use H&R Block Expat services. They have our direct deposit info on file since we always request that any refunds we may receive, to be directly deposited into our bank account. We received our stimulus payment a couple of days ago with no problems.
Even if we could turn back, we'd probably never end up where we started  -  Haruki Murakami

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Predial Payments MissMyBike 2 512 01-12-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: mario carranza
  Online payments Mikel1 5 3,035 07-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Mikel1