High Speed Internet
10-07-2017, 01:40 PM,
High Speed Internet
I am moving to Guanajuato City soon! I am going to rent for a year or so and learn the area. I am curious to know if you can get Hi Speed Internet, in certain parts of town only? New Developments? I want to choose a place that has it, as well as being a nice home. IF I can have it both ways! lol. Any suggestions? Is Fiber available anywhere?

Any answers will be most appreciated! Thank you in advance!

-jer
10-08-2017, 06:56 PM,
RE: High Speed Internet
I have fiber here in Guanajuato through Megacable. I don't know if they have fiber citywide, but they do here in the La Presa area. There are other companies and options hear, but I don't know what services they provide. Maybe someone else can speak for the other providers here.
Even if we could turn back, we'd probably never end up where we started  -  Haruki Murakami
10-09-2017, 07:41 PM,
Thank you so much Blackpool for that information. I'll just get with Megacable and find out where they have fiber. Then find a nice home in the area! LOL!
10-10-2017, 08:05 AM,
Welcome.
Mexico has moved recently to significantly de-regulate telecommunication services thus opening competition and fostering new services. This has given rise to Izzy, Blue-to-Go, Blim and other alternatives that are now open in CDMX, GDL and Monterey. Some of These will be coming into our GTO market in future. This has also finally motivated Telmex to improve pricing and service quality. They are now stringing fiber in many areas of town. As mentioned Megacable arrived a year ago with total fiber network in much of city.
Bottom line, more choice so evaluate what/when as you choose a place to land.
10-10-2017, 02:21 PM,
Telmex has had fiber-optic for quite a while now. Here in the Presa area, we've had it for more than four years, and it works great. I don't know how extensive the coverage is in other parts of the city.

In choosing an internet provider, you might want to consider what else is included in the package. Our mid-priced Telmex package, at 599 pesos a month, includes free long-distance telephone service to virtually the entire world (Cuba and a couple of other countries are excepted). I don't know what Megacable offers.
10-10-2017, 04:05 PM,
Thank you all for the great information! I'll be down that way looking in January!

Thanks again!

-jer
10-13-2017, 12:28 AM,
I consistently get 50 mbps download with Megacable. And 20 on the upload. I've measured and tested it. Much better service than I had in the US.
Even if we could turn back, we'd probably never end up where we started  -  Haruki Murakami
02-02-2018, 12:34 PM,
I just upgraded my Megacable service from 10 mbps to 20. I ran speedtest.net, and am indeed getting 20 mbps download, and 6 mbps upload.
02-13-2018, 04:42 PM,
Just got a "free" (?) upgrade from Telmex DSL to the new fiber optic service. A Telmex guy knocked on the door and said this was the last house in the neighborhood that hadn't upgraded yet and I had to upgrade because DSL equipment was being taken out of the office (guess I was suspicious before that maybe upgrading would mean the fees would go up or start to "creep up" as they seem to do in the US). Anyway, the only service available here a few years ago was a DSL service which provided 9M down and 0.45M up.

After he got done I was very excited that the new fiber optic modem showed a 20M down with a 4.8M upload. I looked online and saw this was the "next level up" from the package I had subscribed to but decided not to say anything until I saw the bill go up ;-)

But alas the speed dropped down the next day to 10M down and 2.4M up, which is what they advertise online for the lowest grade of service. I'm still so excited about the upload speed that I likely won't upgrade unless I run into some kind of data need, since this basic speed supports everything well including VOIP for a US phone number service. If I ever slow down enough to begin enjoying video streaming, then I might enjoy an upgrade, until then I think this will do.

P.S. Thanks for those who took time in the past to post the service speeds so that others can see what is available decide which is best for them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Temporary suspension of internet service MissMyBike 0 289 07-21-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: MissMyBike
  Internet Service Provider MissMyBike 3 748 05-24-2022, 10:16 AM
Last Post: DonJuane
  High quality photo prints (Gallery quality) Waymond Smith 2 751 01-26-2022, 11:24 PM
Last Post: DeniseW
  tech/internet repair person Ann001 1 994 03-12-2021, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jesm
  Internet service suzyngto 9 2,688 07-14-2020, 03:01 PM
  Fooling the internet peddler665 6 3,169 03-19-2020, 12:59 AM
  Ordering internet service in English Waymond Smith 1 1,389 12-07-2018, 03:54 PM
  Internet Providers? Lee Collins 0 1,055 08-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Lee Collins
  Advice on How High One can Build in GTO WriterinExile 3 1,861 09-15-2017, 09:42 AM
  Internet provider MarionP 2 1,735 06-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Last Post: MarionP