PO box?
08-08-2013, 01:15 PM,
PO box?
Is it possible to rent a post office box there? I'm figuring best way to handle this while I stay with a friend, before I rent a house there. Just did all the change of address on my accounts and trying to keep doing it an extra time.
Kathryn
08-08-2013, 02:35 PM,
RE: PO box?
I'm not good for any info re PO boxes but i think they are in short supply. One thing to consider is that it takes around 2 weeks on average to get 1st class mail from the States to GTO. Why not change your statements etc to electronic and get them either online or by e-mail?
08-09-2013, 08:04 AM,
It's easy to get a P.O. Box, but you need the usual stuff: passport, resident visa card, proof of Guanajuato address (utility bill, phone bill, copy of lease showing address). I got mine last April on the first attempt.

Bill is right, though, you should do all your USA financial stuff electronically.
08-09-2013, 08:09 AM,
I'm already doing finances via internet. But am in some legal proceedings for which I need an address. I'll be on a tourist visa until legal proceedings are completed. So does that mean I can't rent a PO box?
Thanks,
Kathryn
08-09-2013, 12:22 PM,
Do you really need a PO Box? You do need an address and once you know where you will be use that address for DHL [only international service w/ local office] or FedEx/UPS etc. I'd trust them a bit more than Correos de Mexico. Even though some have a low opinion of the Mexican Post Office I have had good experience with them* and have had the same postman for over 15 years - that said if its legal docs that must be dealt with in a timely manner I'll like to see some tracking info and 'overnight' from US to Mexico means 3+ days.

Finally if it is a box you want you could consider a Private Box at la Connexion or another place in SMA. dI on't use them but other members do and can give details.

* all my VA and Social Security mail comes via MexPost without fail
08-10-2013, 02:56 PM,
I wouldn't trust the Mexican postal service with important legal documents. Not because they won't eventually show up, but because the timing is so variable: 5 days to 5 months! Trust those to DHL or FedEX or UPS. DHL has a downtown office, so it is easy to arrange in-person pickup there. Expensive, yes, but worth it if the papers are important and must be received in a timely manner. Just use your house address, then arrange to pick up in person. They'll want I.D. (passport and visa), but they don't care if you are on a tourist visa or what.
08-10-2013, 05:40 PM,
There is no DHL or FedEx office in my remote town. There is a FedEx drop box. How does one get UPS or FedEx in GTO?
Thanks. Life is totally crazy here. Knowing what to expect there is very helpful.
08-10-2013, 11:06 PM,
FedEx's office is in the Hotel Real de Minas parking lot.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TAKE BOX TO TEXAS? Doyle Phillips 1 861 06-04-2019, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Angela
  Me vuelvo loco - buscando cajas de cartón I'm going crazy trying to find carboard box srmisterio 3 2,063 06-18-2015, 10:28 PM
Last Post: Izzenhood
  Sealy Posturepedic Mattress & Box Springs, Dwell Studio Bedding Juanita 0 1,903 10-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Juanita
  MEMORY LANE - Get the box of tissues out! meroberts 1 2,162 01-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Last Post: ldrews