Hummingbird Feeders
02-24-2011, 03:31 PM,
Hummingbird Feeders
Does anyone know where I could purchase a hummingbird feeder in Guanajuato or Le?n or San Miguel de Allende?
02-24-2011, 04:52 PM,
RE: Hummingbird Feeders
Last December, someone in San Miguel posted that feeders were available at Camino Silvestre, located at Zacateros #46. They're supposedly the Parasol or Par-A-Sol brand (you can Google it) and fairly expensive.

Don
02-24-2011, 05:37 PM,
(02-24-2011, 03:31 PM)laconstance Wrote: Does anyone know where I could purchase a hummingbird feeder in Guanajuato or Le?n or San Miguel de Allende?

There is a store in the Mega mall that sells a large variety of feeders. I bought one for 82 pesos, but they have more expensive and elaborate ones.
02-24-2011, 07:03 PM,
Connie,

We bought ours at the pet shop in Plaza Mayor in Le?n but it occurs to me that Wal-Mart as well as the pet shop on Alh?ndiga next to the Vets? office may carry them too.

(02-24-2011, 05:37 PM)dianagoodz Wrote:
(02-24-2011, 03:31 PM)laconstance Wrote: Does anyone know where I could purchase a hummingbird feeder in Guanajuato or Le?n or San Miguel de Allende?

There is a store in the Mega mall that sells a large variety of feeders. I bought one for 82 pesos, but they have more expensive and elaborate ones.
02-24-2011, 08:26 PM,
I don't think I can add much to the responses you have received. I have, rarely, seen feeders at Home Depot stores.

I do wish you luck as I understand the pleasure of watching the greedy little things play around the feeders.

One thing I might suggest is to go to this site: http://www.birdfeeders.com/index.cfm

They sell perky pet feeders. No, they are not lovely. Yes, the birds just love the feeders. Get the plain 8 or 16 ounce variety with little perches. Bring them down with you on the next return.

Linn
02-24-2011, 09:56 PM,
Is this the Pozuelos mall where Mega is in Guanajuato?

Many thanks to all who answered. I broke my glass hummingbird feeder today, trying to scald it, but I hope to have the little guys back in syrup in a day or two. Right now, they perch on the fence, looking quite pitiful as they try to locate the missing feeder.
02-25-2011, 10:22 AM,
I'm pretty sure that it is the mall where Mega is. However my question is, which store is it?

Possibly dianagoodz could elaborate on which store, or which floor, or what type of store it is (if the name of the store is not known).

I have always preferred the hand blown glass feeders made by BirdBrain.
They are pricier, and are not for the lazy, as cleaning is more difficult than an inverted plastic bottle feeder, but now BirdBrain has quit making the glass flowers, and they are only offering plastic ones. I have thought of going to the Guajuye Glass Factory in San Miguel de Allende, and having them make something similar to BirdBrain's design with glass flowers, but I suppose at least a dozen would have to be ordered in order to make it cost effective.
02-26-2011, 12:46 AM,
Thanks to all who answered. Today, I bought a feeder at Bichos Mascotas, the pet store in Plaza Pozuelos in Guanajuato. The owner himself helped me, and he had several varieties. He was out of the really inexpensive ones, but will be restocked by next Friday. He also carries Perky Pet, in stock.

Now, I will share the recipe for hummingbird juice, given to me by Linn. Heat water almost to boiling, and then add as much sugar as the water will dissolve. Another person gave me the tip of adding just a bit of grenadine to impart that irresistible red color, if your feeder is clear glass.

Hummers in my neighborhood are happy now!
02-26-2011, 02:51 PM,
In San Miguel you can find http://www.audubonmex.org/
[Image: hummingbirdfeeder.jpg]

Best Hummingbird Feeders Imported from the states at a special Audubon price of 250 pesos.
Wasp and bee free. Feeds 8 Hummingbirds. Mirl Gratton has 8 species of hummers feeding on his new feeders. 32 ounces, glass.

To reserve a feeder or to make plans for delivery contact Linda Whynman.

Also, here is email for Georgia Conti who lives on Lake Patzcuaro. She has a well deserved reputation as being the best ornithologist of the American community in Michoacan. She will be happy to talk with you, and she sells hummingbird feeders. I think she told me she has recorded 34 species. Don't quote me on that. Will have to ask her again.
05-10-2012, 04:05 PM,
I purchased 2 "high end" hummingbird feeders. 1 is US and one in SMA at the "Silvestre" shop. The hummingbirds would not even consider looking at them. Bought one at Home Depot in Leon and it is like a locust invasion. They love it. Go figure. 120pesos vs 90.00usd