Chedraui - another choice for consumers
07-18-2019, 04:49 PM,
Chedraui - another choice for consumers
I learned today that a Chedraui supermarket will be opening around August 20. It will be close to the new Liverpool.

This provides us consumers with another choice, but it's too bad that they didn't choose to use this space for a Costco or H-E-B.
07-18-2019, 06:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2019, 06:06 PM by DonJuane.)
RE: Chedraui - another choice for consumers
I agree. The merge of Mega with Soriana created a new word in our vocabulary, "Soriana-ized" to mean a step down in the quality, sort of a like a Bodega Aurrera selling lower quality items than it's parent Walmart, if that's even possible. When Mega got bought out by Soriana, Mega became "Soriana-ized" (copyright MS).

I can't remember the last time I was in Chedraui but I think it was San Cristobal and they did stock Dr. Pepper from what I can remember where no one else did. Not sure about the gourmet section but I'll keep hope.

It's too bad that none of the markets that offer the small center isle of gourmet items ever confer with people who buy from that section. It seems for the most part that their corporate buyers just "don't get it" as to what can be placed here that gourmet cooks are looking for. On the other hand if anyone wants a real treat along with a reason to pretend you are still salaried and successful, head to City Market in Queretaro, a market that totally understands the higher end food buyer market and their lack of a budget to boot.

Still I seldom go to a supermarket these days since the Baratillo has such good vegetables and refrigerated chickens now. I do go on week-long horseradish searches from time to time and hit the big markets at least once a month for soft drink runs. Hoss and the cowboys at Bonanza SMdA always come through in a pinch.
07-19-2019, 07:30 AM,
City Market is the upscale outlet that emerged from the Soriana purchase and integration of Commercial. They are very nice stores. Not enough rooftops, yet, in GTO to warrant a City or HEB.
07-19-2019, 08:04 AM,
I eliminated my horseradish searching by bringing down bottles of Atomic brand on my last trip NOB. I’m set until my next annual trip.
Mike

07-20-2019, 09:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2019, 09:57 AM by DonJuane.)
That indeed's the best philosophy, to bring it down with you. I finally found a moderately acceptable bottle of mostly-pure horseradish (back room, all the way to the right in the back there on the left in one of the refrigerated section panels) in the Bonanza store in downtown San Miguel. I like the grainy pureed and not the stuff that tastes like mayo infused with chemical flavor to try to match fresh. The Bonanza stuff was pretty good but it's now been a while and too much time for me to give a quality review.

I also saw "hotdog relish" there and what I call US southern style cornbread meal as well. So while it may not be the line you are looking for, if you need something not extremely popular, this might be one place to look. I don't even think City Market has horseradish but I don't remember for sure. City Market is so unique in other areas, e.g. climate controlled chamber aged prime beef, that you forget to do a full mental inventory sometimes. Still no Dr. Pepper or Shiner Bock like HEB, however. You have to keep the wheels rolling if you are a whiny and needy Gringo (apparently ;-)
07-20-2019, 04:18 PM,
Atomic horseradish is my biggest “want” it’s refrigerated from the factory, it’s just grated horseradish, salt, vinegar and a touch of sugar. It’s a commercial product sold retail in a few groceries. Magnificently hot, mellows after the bottle is opened. Sometimes something other chile hot is needed.....

After that I’m pretty much a-okay with local offerings. If I want pastrami, I bribe local beef and smoke it. Same with ribs, fresh pork smoked is great.

When I’m away, all I want is a good tamale for breakfast!
Mike

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chedraui Owie DonJuane 5 1,421 08-22-2019, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jesm
Heart It's YOUR choice: 10,000 Books into Landfills or the Hands of Indigenous Learners? Jzmackenzie 3 3,437 07-28-2010, 01:29 AM
Last Post: Ulysses