private RV parking
06-09-2018, 04:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2018, 04:49 PM by Colibri.)
private RV parking
Hi, everyone

Have friends coming down for a six-month stay in November. They have a fully self-contained RV, but need access to water and showers. They have solar for electricity. I know there's Bugumville RV park on the way to SMA, but that's all I can find. Used to be a small park up by la Mina Rayas, Morrill -I think it was called. Anyone know if it's still operating? OR, anyone interested in renting out parking space at your home where they'd have access to water? They'd prefer a private location rather than an RV park. Thanks!
06-11-2018, 08:26 PM,
RE: private RV parking
Went to see the Morrill trailer park. (Lived right next to it when I first arrived here 20 years ago.) It's still up and running, and the same couple, Lupe and Antonio, who managed it way back then are still there. For those of you who don't know the park, it's just below the Panoramica between Mina Cata and Mina Rayas. You can go up to it also from Dos Rios. FYI (not to advertise, just to inform, in case you know someone who might be interested) they have 8 spaces with elec./water/sewer hook-ups and bathrooms with showers. It's an easy bus or walk to the centro and the park is gated.
07-22-2018, 09:13 AM,
Well everyone, I know you missed me - have been away on a 6 month Central America Sojourn and just returned! What a spectacular journey! I would say that it's good to be back but my adventuresome spirit always leaves me wondering what is better, the road or home.

Regarding the RV Park .... You didn't mention the size of the RV but I would not really attempt Morrill with anything larger than a pickup style camper. Not only is the road narrow and windy, it is "Guanajuato tough" . The only way I could imagine you would get a big rig in there is set up a few friends and have someone cross block their autos both below the campground and at the panoramica and then hope the police don't come while you drive the wrong way down from the panoramica rather than up through the typical Guanajuato nightmare passageway. And that's not to mention that most conventional RVs are very heavy and the engine might not have the capacity or they have overhangs on the back that scrape and sometimes drag off the undercarriage plumbing with the sharp changes in angles up, the limbs will overhang some areas and the streets are hard to navigate. In fact after touring most of the US west coast and most all of Mexico and Central America, I would rate Guanajuato as one of the top ten most challenging places to navigate a RV.

Otherwise the park that is 9KM toward San Miguel de Allende is on perfect flat land access but does take a little longer to get into town and is serviced by bus as well. Last time I checked, Carlos the owner was working on the showers at Bugamville (last year) so not sure of the status now. Since he had the rare Mexico luxury of sewer hook-ups, if there's a shower in the rig you can just use that. But I'd give him a call.

So good luck to your friends and I sincerely hope they are skilled navigators when they arrive here. It's not for the faint of heart even in a small auto. Also I am sure they are aware of it but ioverlander.com provides the most comprehensive list of Mexico campsites as well as others world-wide.
07-22-2018, 09:52 AM,
HI, Don Juan

Yes, agree about Morrill and big rigs. Thanks for mentioning that. I have friends who parked there for several years each years with a bigger RV (not one of those HUGE ones, though) , and they went in just as you described!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airport parking pgeilich 3 1,266 04-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Last Post: DonJuane
  private driver to SMA Ann001 7 2,081 12-26-2018, 12:37 AM
Last Post: DonJuane
  needing a parking space of some kind, 19 Aug- 2 Sep Doyle Phillips 1 1,295 08-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Last Post: aarwen
  BJX Airport parking vanessak 2 1,440 04-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Last Post: jesm
  Value of enclosed parking? Mikel1 6 2,323 08-31-2017, 01:23 PM
Last Post: lorenzetti
  Looking for private health insurance... Blackpool 2 1,971 06-21-2017, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Blackpool
  Private Tour recommendation Avram01 3 2,049 04-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Avram01
  Recommendation for private Spanish Tutor markfam 0 1,869 03-02-2017, 06:56 PM
Last Post: markfam
  Long term monthly parking near Centro or not Tim Maheras 2 1,782 02-11-2017, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Barbara
  Auditorio de estado parking Erika128 0 1,001 12-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Last Post: Erika128