Moving with young kids to Leon
02-09-2015, 11:02 AM,
Moving with young kids to Leon
Hi! I just joined the GTOList. Looking forward to some good conversations here!
I am coming to Leon in 2 weeks to look at schools and potential homes. I may be moving my family of 6 to Leon in a few months, and I just have loads of questions!
I am having trouble finding info about the International elementary/primary schools in The Leon area.
I hear there are 2.
Are there any others?
I am coming to Leon in 2 weeks to look at schools and potential homes. I may be moving my family of 6 to Leon in a few months, and I just have loads of questions!
Where's the best & safest place to live?
Thanks!!
02-09-2015, 11:55 AM,
RE: Moving with young kids to Leon
This is a message board for Guanajuato. Same state as Leon but not the same city. We are about 35-45 minutes away depending upon traffic. Those of us who live here with kids (including myself) will most likely not have any information about schools in Leon.

Is there a specific reason you are moving to Leon? It is a large city and will be difficult (but not impossible) to navigate without a car. Additionally, it is not so aesthetically pleasing, to say the least (although there are some nice parts I am sure).
02-09-2015, 12:27 PM,
RE: Moving with young kids to Leon area
My husband's work is in Silao. It's been recommended by his company that we should live in Leon. However, we can choose wherever we want to live. I'd consider living in Leon, Guanajuato, or Irapuato (so we're not too far from Silao.)
Any information on schools and nice places to live would be appreciated.
Thanks!
02-09-2015, 12:31 PM,
Actually, for raising kids, León is on a par with Guadalajara - better schools, more options for extracurricular activities, shopping, etc. Likewise, León and Irapuato are the two cities where a growing number of ex-pats seem to be having their jobs transferred to. A reverse commute from Guanajuato is costly and a royal pain-in-the-ass.
02-09-2015, 01:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2015, 03:43 PM by The Duck.)
I agree with Kasugie. Leon also has a fine zoo and the largest metropolitan park in the state. Its historic center is quite nice. It is a wealthy, vibrant, modern city with very low unemployment. Also there is a major arts and cultural complex there. Don't be discouraged by Leon nay-sayers on gtolist as their experience with Leon probably amounts to little more than day trips to Costco and Sam' club. The 'better' areas of both Irapuato [the 'villas'] and Leon [Campestre and Cerro Gordo] are at the far ends of each city in relation to Silao. If your husband's work will be in the Puerto Interior Leon would be the closer location. I'd suggest you getting in contact with the HR rep of your husband's employer and see what help can be offered and again if his work will be in the Puerto Interior they may have some guidance to offer as well.

A "yellowpage" listing of schools in Leon is here http://www.seccionamarilla.com.mx/result...ato/leon/1 a more complete list can be found on the Sec of Education site http://app.seg.guanajuato.gob.mx/ceo/ where you can simply plug in the City and grade level to generate a list which will then have contact info and map links. There is another site somewhere which gives the rankings of the schools. If I can find it I'll post it here.

And finally regardless of where you settle come visit Guanajuato.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moving money? datgnat 15 5,502 04-21-2022, 03:09 PM
Last Post: roberb7
  Bravos de León 2021 baseball season roberb7 1 973 06-07-2021, 07:48 PM
  Moving Household items and tools to GTO M Webber 2 1,435 02-02-2021, 09:39 PM
Last Post: mr bill
  Club León is the champion of Mexican soccer roberb7 0 870 12-14-2020, 12:06 AM
  Positive changes since moving to Guanajuato? louisarogers 6 2,737 10-11-2019, 12:50 PM
Last Post: jesm
  Getting to Hospital Angeles in Leon DML 1 1,189 10-07-2019, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Mikel1
  Thinking of moving to GTO in December, expat family from Atlanta Kalanisters 19 6,297 03-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Last Post: DonJuane
  Taxi/uber BJX Leon to GTO bus station BillandLisa 3 2,123 01-14-2019, 11:05 AM
Last Post: DGA001
  Leon immigration pgeilich 10 2,747 12-06-2018, 04:50 AM
Last Post: louisarogers
  good doctor in GTO, Leon or SMA? Janet01 5 2,632 11-29-2018, 04:06 PM
Last Post: pgeilich