Firecrackers
01-18-2015, 11:04 AM,
Firecrackers
We have been in Guanajuato a week now, and a day hasn't gone by that we haven't
heard mucho firecrackers going off. I like fireworks as much as the next person, but
these seem to have little visual display and sound more like dynamite than firecrackers.
I came here for a cultural experience, and I know that this is part of it, but I don't get
this one. They have to cost money. Anyway, what motivated me to post this was the
barrage of fireworks that went off this morning at 6:00. There were a lot of them, and
it struck me as downright anti-social. Please enlighten me.
01-18-2015, 12:34 PM,
RE: Firecrackers
Yes it was a bit heavier this AM, but certainly not unusual for any Mexico City I have visited over the last almost 30 years.
01-18-2015, 03:42 PM,
I had mostly traveled in southern México where the cohetes don't seem to be as prevalent as here in Guanajato. On my first visit to Guanajuato, I wondered if a new revolution had broken out! They are part of life here, and most other Méxican cities: celebrating weddings, quinceaneras, Christmas, New Year's, Easter, birthdays, and just for the hell of it.
01-18-2015, 08:40 PM,
Welcome to the land of firecrackers. They are practically an every day occurance. The churches are one of the biggest users. I watch the padre of San Sabastian lighting then off quite frequently and especially this next when it San Sabastian day and festival. The month of May is a great firecracker month as there are daily desfiles to the Basilica by every employment group. Plus Christmas, Semana Santa, and all the Mexican Holidays. And for good measure any day. Friends tell me there are lots more firecrackers in San Miguel and when I have spent time with them I am sure that is the case. It is part of Mexico's great culture. Not unlike barking dogs. Bienvenidos!
01-19-2015, 09:28 AM,
Mostly to celebrate Saints, feast days and Virgins. Tyhe priests and alter boys are launching them. Time to get up and go to mass. Welcome to the most Religous State in Mexico