Internet service providers in Guanajuato
01-13-2014, 10:40 AM,
Internet service providers in Guanajuato
My wife and I purchased a small casa in the Centro last August, which we hope to retire to in a couple of years. While we wait for that much-anticipated day, we occasionally rent the house out to vacationers.

Shortly after closing, we went to TELMEX and signed up to have the Infinitum package (399 pesos per month) installed, with the goal of having wi-fi throughout the house. We had to return to the U.S. a few days later, leaving the person who manages the property to meet with the TELMEX installers. When they arrived, he was told there was no more capacity available in the neighborhood and they had no idea when that situation would change. Every couple of weeks the manager returns to the TELMEX offices to follow-up and try to kickstart the process, but over four months have passed and nothing has changed.

We have been providing a Telcel "stick" to guests so they can access the internet, but it has serious limitations (only works on one device at a time) and frequently needs to be "refilled". My question is, besides TELMEX and the Telcel stick, what other options are there to get high-speed internet into the casa, with the ultimate goal of having reliable (?) wi-fi?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff
01-13-2014, 11:46 AM,
RE: Internet service providers in Guanajuato
"we went to TELMEX and signed up to have the Infinitum package ... Every couple of weeks the manager returns to the TELMEX offices to follow-up "

This is not handled locally. Call Infinitum 01 800. 123 2222 ask for help in Ingles if need be. 1st they can tell you about service availability [give them your phone number] which should be pretty much universal in GTO Centro. If you have a phone line you should be able to get ASDL service. Fiber Optic may not be availavle for quite some time in Centro but regular internet should be a no brainer. There was a time almost a score of years ago now that even getting a phone was near impossible but that time has passed as have the good old days of REDES dial-up [which was here before Telmex]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsNr0QC-fhbhQr26tYQ7x...8mKzFXdXBg]
01-13-2014, 12:02 PM,
Many thanks. I will pass that info on to the property manager and see what happens.

However, I still am interested in what, if any, other options are available for high-speed internet should TELMEX continue to not work out.

Cheers.

Jeff
01-13-2014, 12:16 PM,
Smoke signals might work as Carlos Slim can't block them
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjlXBipURhuz9sMBAmcdO...VkdGvbNHHe]
01-13-2014, 05:13 PM,
Oh Yeah? I heard Carlos is full of wind!
01-13-2014, 08:18 PM,
As there is no cable service here, that option is not available. In faint hope we might see a Telmex alternative in our lifetimes, we follow eagerly the service described briefly in the attached article, Blue TOGO. It is presently only available in metro DF but they are doing a heavy nationwide TV promotion program on Televisa sports broadcasts. Stay tuned!
http://www.fayerwayer.com/2012/08/mexico...-internet/
01-14-2014, 11:17 PM,
After 20+ calls over 6 months to various Telmex "helpdesks", nothing happened with my Internet upgrade. A personal visit with a formal complaint letter in spanish to the manager at the Telmex main office did the trick very fast. Make sure you have a copy and get it stamped.
01-21-2014, 08:18 AM,
Six years ago when I purchased a Telmex/internet package, the phone line was installed within a very few days, but the internet was another matter. No one told me that I had to call Infinitum to arrange for the internet service; of course I thought I had arranged for it when I signed up for the package at Telmex! It took an hour-long phone conversation among my architect, Telmex, and Infinitum to straighten it all out. By the time we got the information that we had to call Infinitum, the original work order had expired and we had to start over! It ended up taking about 6 weeks, but I have to say that the actual internet service is much better than what I had previously experienced in Colorado.

By the way, if your modem dies and you can't revive it by resetting, you have to call Infinitum, not Telmex. Infinitum will test it over the phone, and if the modem is indeed dead, they will put a return number in your Telmex records. Only then can you return the dead modem to Telmex to exchange for a new one.
01-21-2014, 12:59 PM,
Getting an upgrade is different from getting new service and yes, you do need to call INFINITUM for any problems. I bought a house 7 years ago that had a phone connection. In the escrow process I got a notarized letter from the seller assigning the number to me. I took that to Telmex and asked to add internet. They changed the billing name and gave me a modern and told me it would be 3 days. After 3 days I should plug the modem in following directions in the package. I did this after 3 days and everything came up and worked just fine.

A few months ago I had a problem which was very resistant to location. Every piece of hardware all along the line was replaced in succession as each replacement failed to fix the problem. The English speaking agents on the phone and the technicians who came several times were all very helpful and sympathetic and the problem did finally get resolved.
01-21-2014, 03:32 PM,
Regarding the return of a dead modem: A few years ago, after concluding that my modem/router was kaput, I didn't bother to call anyone. I simply took it to the Telmex office, along with its power cord and Ethernet cable, told them it no longer worked, and asked for a new one. They gave me a whole new kit, no questions asked.

That was a few years ago, as I say, so procedures may have changed. Or maybe they were just in a good mood that day. In any case, when your modem dies, this might be worth a try. Certainly quicker than calling Infinitum and waiting while they test it.

Epilogue: When I got home with my new modem and plugged it in, I soon learned that my diagnosis was wrong. The problem wasn't the modem but something else entirely--and all my fault. Oops.

Don

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guanajuato English Speaking AL-Anon meeting Forestmoods 0 76 04-03-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Forestmoods
  English speaking Al-Anon in Guanajuato Mexico Forestmoods 0 211 11-15-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Forestmoods
  Temporary suspension of internet service MissMyBike 0 304 07-21-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: MissMyBike
  Guanajuato Symphony 2023 Izzenhood 0 583 09-06-2022, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Izzenhood
  Internet Service Provider MissMyBike 3 769 05-24-2022, 10:16 AM
Last Post: DonJuane
  US women welcome to come to Guanajuato for abortion pills and abortion assistance roberb7 0 684 12-22-2021, 02:00 PM
Last Post: roberb7
  Auto Towing Service TulieB 1 806 11-08-2021, 03:39 PM
Last Post: doncoulter
  Earthquake hits Guanajuato State DonJuane 8 1,765 09-14-2021, 02:39 PM
Last Post: DonJuane
  Orthopedist in Guanajuato city suzyngto 0 807 08-26-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: suzyngto
  Guanajuato Municipal League baseball roberb7 3 1,491 04-23-2021, 01:36 PM
Last Post: roberb7