The Forums of Guanajuato
Like - Dislike ? - Printable Version

+- The Forums of Guanajuato (https://www.gtolist.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.gtolist.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Guanajuato Forums (https://www.gtolist.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Like - Dislike ? (/thread-1294.html)

Pages: 1 2

Like - Dislike ? - scottcap - 04-26-2012

Hi Everyone,

I am planning my first visit and if I like the area I probably will buy a 2nd home here.

Can each reader of this post tell me 3 things that they like about the city and 3 things that they dislike.

Your answers will be of value to me.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Scott

RE: Like - Dislike ? - admin - 04-26-2012

Welcome Scott,

What a 1st post!

If we can get just 10 of our now 558 members to respond you will have helped create a very valuable community resource.

MEMBERS...what can you say?

RE: Like - Dislike ? - meroberts - 04-27-2012

:heart: Love that we have:

1) A great community
2) This board
3) Good friends
4) Sunday breakfast where we share news
5) And a healthy environment

RE: Like - Dislike ? - Karen Gans - 04-27-2012

Like: Breathtakingly beautiful
Warm, friendly people (Mexicans and Americans)
Cultural events: symphony, foreign movies, etc.
Dislike: Barking dogs all night!

RE: Like - Dislike ? - jesm - 04-27-2012

Like:
compact and foot friendly
cultural and recreational opportunities well beyond its population
cosmopolitan and diversity, almost as much European as Mexican
variety of cuisines
not overwhelmed by Americans

dislike:
cannot name one, ok if you insist- maybe late night noise in centro and early morning firecrackers.

give it a try, you will love it.

RE: Like - Dislike ? - romeorico - 04-27-2012

Scott: We were enchanted on our 1st visit & returned to see if our first impression was "legit." Each visit only improved our opinion. We built a home to retire to in 2+yrs...Renting as apts now. LIKES: weather, diversity of the people in age & nationalities, the Sunday brunch group, GTO's beauty/history, affordable cultural things to do, the pedestrian nature of GTO & fresher foods for health. DISLIKES: The intrusion of Domino's Pizza & other unhealthy Gringo foods....Plastic water bottles: where do they go?....Look forward to hearing what YOU like & dislike. Let the adventure begin!

RE: Like - Dislike ? - colleen - 04-28-2012

Like:
1. Lovely city. Beautiful views from nearly anywhere.
2. Not overrun w/ gringos.
3. You can have friendships with Mexicans and learn about the culture.
4. There are lots of activities for all sorts of interests, but since I don't care about concerts, it's OK not to attend.
5. Growing number of interesting restaurants (tho I seldom go out to eat)
6. Usually at a corner the cars go uno x uno, letting one from each side take a turn.
7. Groups to get involved with. Groups that help animals, women, young people with scholarships.

Dislike:
(if I didn't drive I probably would have fewer things to dislike)
1. Incredibly inconsiderate drivers who just stop when they want to have a conversation with someone on the sidewalk. Couldn't care less about anyone else.
2. And they park wherever they want to. Near my house they sort of pull over and then the rest of us have to figure it out.
3. Finding out a couple of years down the road, how your "good friend" took advantage of you when you thought that's just the price of whatever it was. Remember, the gringos have all the $, so therefore it's completely OK to overcharge them or take advantage of them. On a smaller scale, the taxis do it all the time.
4. That same "good friend" saying "I couldn't help myself". So then it's OK. But he'll never pay you back.
5. This should be in bold and all caps - The total disregard for time. It's NOT OK that they say 9:00 and arrive at 10:30. For everyone who is so nonchalant about the appointment, there's someone on the other side waiting and waiting.
6. And don't tell me what you think I want to hear. I want to get the real answer. If you tell me YES 3 times and make me keep coming back just to get a NO as the final answer, that's not what I want to hear. If the answer will ultimately be NO, tell me the first time before I am inconvenienced to that extent.

Alot of my experiences are different from someone who lives here, walks to Centro to have a meal, goes for a swim and goes home to read. I have a business, Donkey Jote, an English language bookstore. I have gone thru the migracion system for years and am "inmigrado". I have to deal with govmt offices for the business and with other businesses. Some good experiences, such as my accountant - nobody came to pick up my info. When I realized it, I called. I found out they just paid my taxes for me, on time. They knew I'd pay them. What nice people.

We didn't move here to save $. When we bought the house we didn't even plan to move here. But now that we are here full time (for the last 10 yrs) we realize we couldn't go back to the US unless we lived in a trailer park. But everyone is different. That's something to like here in Gto.
Oh, damn. How could I forget to "dislike" graffiti? If they can have so little of it in San Miguel, why can't they (or why won't they) do something about it here?

RE: Like - Dislike ? - peddler665 - 04-28-2012

Collen- You're dislikes are common everywhere I have been in Mexico with few exceptions. This after 26 years of such travel.
In a short visit this past March I have fell in love with your city & am in the hunt right now for a place to stay a month or two this coming Winter.
Theaters
The culture
The Plaza
Restaurants

Dislikes------------------------errrr Can not think of any. OH! yeah Tourists wearing shorts.

RE: Like - Dislike ? reply to peddler - colleen - 04-28-2012

Yeah, what I dislike is probably universal to MX. It's a cultural thing. And it's sometimes very difficult to live with. But for someone who is thinking of moving to MX, whether to Guanajuato or another city, it is relevant to think about these cultural differences with the country in which we were born. Can you live with it? Some people aren't bothered by it. I'm bothered by it but I can live with it. Some people just can't take it. And I think it is important for someone new to living in MX, to understand that you are going to be taken advantage of, by people who are otherwise very nice and helpful.

I took this request for information seriously. Of course I don't like the dogs barking or the fireworks at 6AM. Forgot to "dislike" my young neighbors' parties which start at 4PM and end at 5AM. I just sleep in a different part of the house, if I can sleep at all. But, hey, they are really nice people.

RE: Like - Dislike ? - jesm - 04-28-2012

Lots of good points being offered. Glad some have dealt with the far broader impacts of the cultural divide between Mexican society and life style contrasted to the more "efficient" manner we have north of the border. Regardless of the specific locally focused "likes" which are many, one must be prepared for the differences life here, in all areas of the country, involve. This can be trying but it comes with the territory. Our experience based on 5 years full time in Mexico is everything, I mean everything, takes about three times the effort and time to get done, "time" is absolutely a non-critical element, family and friends take precedence over money and accomplishment, and yes non-Mexicans are likely to be seen as a cash cow. Even with those cultural challenges, we love it and could not live elsewhere.