The Forums of Guanajuato

Full Version: Experience with Roku or the streaming boxes for tv?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wondering what channels are available and if its a better deal than megacable
I don't know about the level of service but I will say that if you need a VPN to get US "out of country blocked" programming into Mexico and your device doesn't provide for attaching to a VPN, there are open source firmware packages that can be placed on a (second) router you can add to your home which will set up either a separate wired or wireless subnet and this router will attach to most of the commercially available paid monthly services like StrongVPN, HideMyAss, etc and thus provide a US IP address to any equipment in your home that needs it. In fact a router that will provide this function can be found for as low as about $25 but as always configuring it is the challenge but most of the VPN providers can give you a hand with it. The package price for VPN access I think start at around $7 US per month. The speed of your Internet service does need to be roughly double the throughput you'll need on the streaming device if a VPN is used, so also keep that in mind.
Thats good info, thanks. I have just started exploring this option here in GTO, so I will keep that in mind. Do you use a VPN yourself?
Yes I do. I have a relative in the US with very fast broadband service and all I did was set up a high performance router in their home with the open source "OpenVPN server" running on their router. While traveling I use primarily an "OpenVPN client" on my laptop to access that relative's US router. The advantage of this is that once beyond the expense of the higher profile router, the service is free and no entertainment company will ever figure out that it is a VPN and black list it. The disadvantage was that it took many hours to configure as I built up knowledge in the technology. So that route in not for everyone but still a possibility.

Otherwise a very good friend of mine uses laptop app to access StrongVPN and she likes it. But that is only good for accessing things like Netflix and other streaming facilities from the laptop.

Also about 7 years ago I set up a router with US subnet for a relative who wanted to live in Mexico for a while and didn't want her company to know about it, so she worked hiding that fact via the setup that I previously spoke about. We used StrongVPN for that set up as well.

P.S. Also required porting out a US phone number to a VOIP service and installing equipment to provide the US phone number in Mexico (or at any location world-wide). This is not so special these days with many companies in the market to provide VOIP service.
You are waaay more knowledgeable than I in these matters. Thank you for your advice. Mind if I hit you up with any questions I may have in the future?
I'll give it a shot, sure.