The Forums of Guanajuato

Full Version: Weather website
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There are lots of websites where you can find weather forecasts for Guanajuato. However, I'm located in Seattle and sometimes I would like to know what the weather actually was. Foreca.com has that information, but I am starting to question its accuracy, as it shows that Guanajuato got over *ten* inches of rain yesterday (Saturday). Did that actually happen?? Do any of you know of other websites where I can find out what happened weather-wise the previous day(s)?

Thanks much.

Jeff
Jeff - never heard of that website - pretty nice - getting bored with weather underground etc

If I read this Foreca.com chart correctly
[Image: meteogram.php?stn_id=1020076577&mglang=e...24h&tz=287]
it says, for Saturday, there was 80 mm of rain [if that is what the blue columns represent] which = 3.14 inches. It rained pretty hard for a while yesterday but can't say for sure how much exactly.
Jeff,
Here is a real time weather station affiliated with the University. You can find some historical data in Almanac tab. These fairly inexpensive online units can be found all over the world.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/find...00.1.76577

There is a webcam at Plaza de Paz as well. Webcams mexico.com or similar.
I believe that most of the websites that report weather in Guanajuato base their forecasts and reported temps and so on on conditions at the airport. If someone knows otherwise, please correct me. The airport, of course, often has quite different weather from what we see in town. Hell, even within town we can have a huge storm downtown and nada in, say, the Presa. Also, our mountainous setting, I think, contributes to the unpredictability of the weather here. Most of the weather websites I've looked at have predicted rain nearly every day this summer, but we've had some long dry spells.

Don
The Weather Underground station is indeed local, as long as you consider Valenciana local. You can see exactly where it is by going to this URL:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=21.006,-1...6&t=m&z=17

I agree, though, with what Don wrote about mountain climates and the unpredictability that goes with it. I, too, have observed(*) it raining in Municipio Libre, and not anywhere else. So, it's hardly surprising that weather conditions could be very much different in Valenciana than in downtown.

(*) "Observed" is actually a weasel word in this context. I got wet. :-)
Thanks, roberb7. But I'm confused. The map you link to indicates a location not in Valenciana but just outside of Marfil. If the weather station is near Marfil, that's even better for Guanajuato forecasts.

Don
Thanks all, for the information.

It was the chart that Mr Bill showed that had me questioning the accuracy. On Sunday, it shows that 280 mm of rain fell -- over 10 inches! Seems that would have caused some significant issues...
Don, I mis-read the map. It is indeed in Marfil. I got confused because:

1. The address is Mineral de Valenciana.

2. I confused CIME across the street with CIMAT in Valenciana. (There sure are a lot of acronyms in this country.)
Jeff, The anecdotal references to the highly variable weather here are totally correct. In addition to the micro-climate effects of the moutainous terrain, we also sit close to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, 200 odd miles either east or west. Thus we can be impacted by weather energies from either, or sometimes, from both coasts.
We are now dealing with the possible impacts here of a "double-header", good size storms coming ashore to west and east simulanteously. No danger, just more uncertainty as to weather.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/se...vacuations
Pages: 1 2