New faces in town!
01-27-2011, 05:40 PM,
New faces in town!
We made it! Sharon and I arrived late on Tuesday the 25th in Guanajuato. We are settling in at a small apartment just behind Hacienda La Escalera. We are both out of shape and struggling with the ups and downs, but we are getting better already.

We intend to join the Sunday Brunch group this next Sunday to meet some of the other "Gringos" and pick their brains. We look forward to meeting everyone.

Larry and Sharon Drews
02-01-2011, 01:17 PM,
RE: New faces in town!
Welcome to Guanajuato!

I must apologize on behalf of all the forum members for the lack of a response to your post, but I believe the reason is due to the fact that this forum is not very... "well developed"...yet.

Although I have never personally taken part in the Sunday Brunch Program, I am sure you will enjoy it, if that is your "cup of tea". It would be a good way to quickly learn the area, and make some local friends.
02-26-2011, 11:19 PM,
(01-27-2011, 05:40 PM)ldrews Wrote: We made it! Sharon and I arrived late on Tuesday the 25th in Guanajuato. We are settling in at a small apartment just behind Hacienda La Escalera. We are both out of shape and struggling with the ups and downs, but we are getting better already.

We intend to join the Sunday Brunch group this next Sunday to meet some of the other "Gringos" and pick their brains. We look forward to meeting everyone.

Larry and Sharon Drews

Hola Larry and Sharon
As an ex-pat-to-be couple who will most likely be following you to Guanajuato in another year or so, we'd like to hear about your experiences, either in the forum or privately.

Tom
03-02-2011, 10:00 AM,
Well, it has been a month since we arrived in Guanajuato. And we are loving it here.

The first week was spent in a small rustic apartment on the hill just behind Hacienda La Escalera. Fondly known as "the hill from hell". Our first impression was that everywhere is up from where we are! Our landlady, Donna Guzman, was very helpful and took us on a short walking tour of the neighborhood.

The first Sunday that we were here we made connection with other ExPats and the Sunday brunch, held at the Los Santos restaurant in Marfil. Since we did not know our way around, we took a taxi. Cost was 40 pesos. After brunch some of us went to the big public marketplace, Embajadoras, where we walked through aisles of vegetables, fruits, clothing piled in heaps, various knick-knacks, etc. Then we all walked to the central plaza/garden, El Jardin de Reunion. My wife Sharon spotted a Starbucks coffee shop and everything started looking better to her. (The trip here was so stressful that she declared that we should turn right around and go back to the US!)

At the Sunday brunch we met Martha Roberts, a native Mexican who had lived in the US for many years and had returned to Mexico just a few years ago. She was looking for a couple to share her house in the San Javier area of Guanajuato. This seemed ideal to us, so we instantly accepted and moved that afternoon! Not only did we get a nice residence, but also access to someone very knowledgeable about Mexico/Guanajuato and who is bilingual. We have been living with Martha and her husband Don for 4 weeks now and everything is working out well. We are happy as clams!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Car rental in town Winnifred 3 1,540 02-02-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: James Doran
  New in town Sophia 1 1,074 10-24-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: OregonMusicMan
  Best pizza in town pianoheat 0 880 08-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Last Post: pianoheat
  Looking for the best wings in town Jan Herrin 8 2,888 07-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Jan Herrin
  In town for a few weeks, a couple questions? thatjackelliott 8 3,162 01-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Last Post: thatjackelliott
  ART RESIDENCY back in town! ARTIST RESIDENCY 0 1,598 05-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ARTIST RESIDENCY
  In-town car rental companies in GTO? glynnaprentice 3 2,261 01-26-2016, 01:39 PM
Last Post: dermotwa
  ATM in town that dispenses USD OliviaShanks 5 3,059 12-03-2015, 11:19 AM
Last Post: The Duck
lawyer NEW WARDEN IN TOWN... meroberts 3 2,645 01-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Last Post: meroberts
  Newbee in Town: Furniture, WiFi, Carpenter, etc. TRESDUKE 1 2,491 10-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Last Post: raquelita