Moving to Guanajuato
11-14-2010, 01:59 PM,
Moving to Guanajuato
Hi, I would like to introduce myself and my wife, Larry and Sharon Drews. We are scheduled to move to Guanjuato in late January 2011. We have arranged for initial accomodations at the Hacienda La Escalera for a month, but we will be looking for a longer term rental.

Our plan is to live in Guanajuato for 6 months, learning about the city, and visiting nearby towns, to determine if this is where we want to permanently retire. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

We are both busy studying Spanish, Sharon at the "kitchen Spanish" level and myself a little further along. She is using "Rocket Spanish" as her educational tool, and I am using "TellMeMore".

We are both looking forward to this adventure!

Regards,

Larry and Sharon Drews
11-14-2010, 03:38 PM,
RE: Moving to Guanajuato
i strongly suggest Escuela Mexicana here in GTO if you want to continue your Spanish lessons. I just finished a 3 month program there and my famliy and I have been very happy with the teachers and classes. Good luck!
11-15-2010, 04:53 PM,
(11-14-2010, 03:38 PM)DML Wrote:  i strongly suggest Escuela Mexicana here in GTO if you want to continue your Spanish lessons. I just finished a 3 month program there and my famliy and I have been very happy with the teachers and classes. Good luck!

Thanks very much for the recommendation. We will look into this school when we arrive.

Regards,

Larry
11-25-2010, 02:10 AM,
Hola Larry & Sharon!

We look forward to welcoming you to Guanajuato in January! I have been based here for 6 years, originally from Oregon, and have gone through the process of settling here, studying spanish, buying land, and building for a retirement. I founded my Guanajuato Land & Homes Real Estate Buyer's Service in mid-2009 and might be able to help you with a rental property come February or March. Please note my recent posts regarding such. I'd also be happy to help with any other matters related to settling in Gto!

With Best Regards, James

James Pyle, Gto Buyer's Rep
Guanajuato Land & Homes
Gto Cell: 473-108-3584

(11-14-2010, 01:59 PM)ldrews Wrote:  Hi, I would like to introduce myself and my wife, Larry and Sharon Drews. We are scheduled to move to Guanjuato in late January 2011. We have arranged for initial accomodations at the Hacienda La Escalera for a month, but we will be looking for a longer term rental.

Our plan is to live in Guanajuato for 6 months, learning about the city, and visiting nearby towns, to determine if this is where we want to permanently retire. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

We are both busy studying Spanish, Sharon at the "kitchen Spanish" level and myself a little further along. She is using "Rocket Spanish" as her educational tool, and I am using "TellMeMore".

We are both looking forward to this adventure!

Regards, Larry and Sharon Drews
11-25-2010, 11:05 AM,
(11-25-2010, 02:10 AM)James Pyle Wrote:  Hola Larry & Sharon!

We look forward to welcoming you to Guanajuato in January! I have been based here for 6 years, originally from Oregon, and have gone through the process of settling here, studying spanish, buying land, and building for a retirement. I founded my Guanajuato Land & Homes Real Estate Buyer's Service in mid-2009 and might be able to help you with a rental property come February or March. Please note my recent posts regarding such. I'd also be happy to help with any other matters related to settling in Gto!

With Best Regards, James

James Pyle, Gto Buyer's Rep
Guanajuato Land & Homes
Gto Cell: 473-108-3584

James, thank you for the offer.

We will initially stay at one of the units in Hacienda La Escalera for 5 weeks while we look for a longer term rental, furnished. We will be looking for a two bedroom apartment for 5 months where we will be within easy walking distance of grocery stores, banks, pharmacies, etc. We have a small dog. We have a limited budget, so we are not looking for luxury accommodations, just comfortable and clean.

We will contact you when we arrive and see what you have available.

Regards,

Larry and Sharon Drews
11-27-2010, 02:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-27-2010, 02:58 PM by ldrews.)
A couple of people have contacted me about our upcoming move to Guanajuato. It occurred to me that it might be valuable and/or useful for me to record our experiences in preparing for and actually moving to Guanajuato, and this forum would seem to be the natural place to do that.

Is there any special format or approach that would be beneficial? Or just add messages to this thread?

Regards,

Larry Drews
So, we started out with the desire to be able to live comfortably on our retirement income. It became clear that we would not be able to do that easily within the United States. Housing costs, medical costs, transportation costs, etc., seemed likely to increase substantially during the coming years and we were barely making it today. In addition, I was becoming more disenchanted with the direction that the US culture was taking and wanted to distance myself from it.

We read two books on Mexico: "Boomers in Paradise" (Living in Puerto Vallarta), and "The Plain Truth about Living in Mexico". The latter book extolled the virtues of Guanajuato. We visited Puerto Vallarta for a week and did a rapid tour of the area and determined that the weather was too hot and humid for us, and that it was being overrun by US and Canadian expats to the extent that it was driving prices up toward US levels. So Puerto Vallarta wasn't going to work for us.

So, we decided to try out Guanajuato. We were anxious to make a move, so we decided to just move to Guanajuato for 6 months and see if we liked it. If not, then we could pick up and try somewhere else. Since Mexico allows 180 days on a tourist visa, this fit our plans perfectly. We located a place to stay initially, Hacienda La Escalera. Their website and English speaking email is handled by Donna, who is very helpful.

Now we need to make airline reservations and fly to Leon. But we have a complication. We have a small Shih Tsu dog that is an integral part of our family. No way is my wife going if the dog doesn't go also. But the dog is too big to fly in the cabin, so it has to be shipped in the live animal cargo. It takes my wife a few days to accept this. Then we find out that Leon airport is not accepting any animals, probably because they don't have the staff to process them on arrival. So now what do we do?

So, as I am writing, we are getting quotes from animal relocation companies, looking into flying to another airport (Aguascalientes? Mexico DF? Guadalajara?) and taking some kind of ground transportation to Guanajuato. However, buses won't work because the dog would have to go in the baggage compartment. Good luck getting my wife to agree to that!

If anyone has any ideas on how to handle the dog, I would love to hear them.

Regards,

Larry Drews
11-28-2010, 11:11 AM,
Hi there Larry and Sharon,

I am one of the people who contacted you (privately) to offer you assistance. Some of it is fee based since I do consulting for a living. But most of my assistance is simply because ?we?ve been there and done that already? and I love to help.

As a volunteer for Amigos de los Animales de Guanajuato, my heart goes out to you and Sharon trying to figure out how to move your Shih Tsu down here. We used to have one also. Let me try to volunteer an idea that you and Sharon might want to consider and someone out there might be willing to accept the challenge.

My husband and I moved here in 2005 and ended up driving down from Washington, D.C. just not to fly our dog ?Chloe? (who just passed November 7th) under such terrible conditions. Some of us drive to the border relatively often. I don?t know where you are flying from but there may be someone out there willing to assist you in driving you, or Sharon and your beloved dog from the border to Guanajuato in their own vehicle. There are a couple of us who would not mind fostering your dog for a couple of days while you arrive.

You are moving into a wonderful community here in Guanajuato Larry and this is the best forum to ask for guidance. I just returned from the US last Sunday and have no plans to go back any time soon or I would make the offer to do it ourselves. Anyone out there willing to assist?

Martha ; -)
When you have nothing to hide, you hide nothing.
11-29-2010, 11:51 AM,
OK, next installment on our trials and tribulations in getting our dog into Mexico.

Continental Airlines seems to have an excellent reputation regarding shipping pets. They take care of them. So we would like to use them to ship our dog.

Continental can get the dog to Guadalajara. Leon doesn't have anyone to process the dog, Aguascalientes doesn't have a pressurized cargo area airplane, but Guadalajara has both. So, we can fly into Guadalajara.

Now, how do we get ourselves and the dog from Guadalajara to Guanajuato? Does anyone make trips to Guadalajara that we could hitch a ride back? Is anyone willing to make a special trip to pick us up (we would pay for expenses plus something to make it worth your time)?

Regards,

Larry Drews
11-29-2010, 01:22 PM,
I have flown into Guadalajara many times. It is a small friendly airport. Beside the front door is an official taxi kiosk. You could ask there if any taxi or service would take you to Guanajuato. Be sure to specify la ciudad, since any Gringo going to Guanajuato is immediately assumed to be headed to San Miguel de Allende. Those taxis are official and presumably "safe." Alternatively, there are always people outside the terminal who offer to take you wherever you want to go -- even Guanajujato -- a somewhat riskier proposition, but another alternative if your Spanish is good enough to bargain and your nerves are strong. By bus, it is 4 hours to Guanajuato, so that should give you an idea of the length of a car trip.
11-29-2010, 03:45 PM,
(11-29-2010, 01:22 PM)laconstance Wrote:  I have flown into Guadalajara many times. It is a small friendly airport. Beside the front door is an official taxi kiosk. You could ask there if any taxi or service would take you to Guanajuato. Be sure to specify la ciudad, since any Gringo going to Guanajuato is immediately assumed to be headed to San Miguel de Allende. Those taxis are official and presumably "safe." Alternatively, there are always people outside the terminal who offer to take you wherever you want to go -- even Guanajujato -- a somewhat riskier proposition, but another alternative if your Spanish is good enough to bargain and your nerves are strong. By bus, it is 4 hours to Guanajuato, so that should give you an idea of the length of a car trip.

Thanks for the info. Do you know what the cost of a taxi from Guadalajara to Guanajuato (city) would be?

Regards,

Larry Drews

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The English Language Library of Guanajuato (ELL) needs you and your money. Doyle Phillips 2 159 03-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Doyle Phillips
  Newly-updated AA/Al-Anon Meeting Schedule for Guanajuato City, Mexico. AAinGTO 0 74 03-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Last Post: AAinGTO
  Goodbye, Guanajuato ... goodbye. SoNouveau 21 1,305 03-08-2017, 01:09 PM
Last Post: zerbit
  Moving from US to GTO - HELP? Renee1 2 241 02-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Last Post: wwintermute
  Map of Guanajuato bus routes? louisarogers 1 193 02-19-2017, 07:26 AM
Last Post: pianoheat
  Dentist in Guanajuato is here to help with your dental needs Dental GTO 1 482 01-26-2017, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Sue100
  Subject: Calling all Americans living in Guanajuato Doyle Phillips 1 305 01-21-2017, 12:54 PM
Last Post: SoNouveau
  Excellent link to events in Guanajuato Barbara 6 798 01-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Last Post: DonJuane
  English language volunteering at U of Guanajuato? Sue100 1 295 11-08-2016, 10:31 PM
Last Post: mr bill
  Great land investment in Guanajuato - nearby lake, clean air, space, tranquility... GTO LIMO RIDES 0 240 10-23-2016, 01:29 PM
Last Post: GTO LIMO RIDES