tankless water heater
08-29-2019, 07:02 PM,
tankless water heater
Does anyone have repairman they'd recommend? This is my fourth heater (first one spontaneously combusted and nearly burned down my casita), second one (brand new, cheap brand) didn't work at all, third one--Bosch--stopped working after 4 months. This one--another brand new Bosch, installed by my landlord, is not adjustable. It's either scalding hot or ice cold. : (
08-29-2019, 07:11 PM,
RE: tankless water heater
I'm no help to you but this is my exact experience with over a decade of different models of tankless while staying with a friend in San Cristobal de las Casas. (He has a new one every time I visit) So all the help I can add is saying "you are not alone". If you have a sunny rooftop, a lot of people like the solar models. Also considering the solar in the future. Lighting the gas 20 minutes before every shower gets old and leaving it on means constant gas bottle traffic. Good luck!
08-30-2019, 09:33 AM,
We have a whole house Bosch plus a smaller Siemens point-of-use unit in our casita. Both installed and supported by Augustine Hernandez. He speaks perfect English is technically very savvy and works as a free-lance robot technician for several area auto assembly plants in addition to sideline electrical and plumbing projects.
These water savers are great,but temperamental to say the least. More recent models seem far more reliable. We found the key element in successful and sustained operation of on-demand water heaters rests in them seeing a constant incoming pressure that holds within the specified operating parameters. Pressure fluctuations outside their envelope send them over the edge! Augustine will work with your home’s water supply system to make that happen or advise of poor systemic conditions beyond your control that will bring problems.
Highly recommended as a worker and person.
Tell him Jesse suggested you talk.
Cell ph: 473 652 9981.
08-30-2019, 06:17 PM,
What model Bosch? If it’s an instant on, with no electrical wires entering the unit for ignition purposes, no pilot light, have you checked the batteries?
Mike

08-31-2019, 08:05 AM,
Additionally some of these heaters require water pressure and might be designed to work in conjunction with solar calentadors. While building our house, I read numerous instant on heater nightmares. I researched, found out the compatibility issues and requirements for a good end result. We have great temps, pressure and low gas use. Not all components play nice with each other.
Mike

08-31-2019, 10:06 AM,
One further lesson learned. Our tankless units are also highly susceptible to hard water buildup that can foul orifices and reduce flow and pressure. The pressure changes can then cause additional operational issues. A water softener can mostly eliminate the mineral and salts that are prevalent here and protect against this plus end water spotting and the pipe and fixture damages that build overtime
09-02-2019, 02:28 PM,
Thanks Jesm and Mike,

The owner sent a tech out and apparently the problem is low water pressure. So they're going to fix that. I looked into a solar rooftop heater, but it was going to cost me around $1000.00 for unit--including labor and extra tinaco. Holding off on that for now and hoping the increased water pressure will do the trick.
09-09-2019, 10:02 AM,
I have about 4 cheap tankless water heaters and while the are a bit tricky at first they have all worked fine for over 5 years. One easy thing to do is take the shower head off and enlarge the hole the water passes through. Almost all the shower heads and other fixtures in Mexico are low flow when the water does not pass through fast enough the water in the heater gets too hot and in automatically shuts off. Enlarging the hole fixed that problem for me. Then experimenting with the controls. If the water is too hot turn it down to it's lowest level on the heater you can turn the cold water up a little but if you go to far it will shut the hot off. We use three faucet handles for the shower one for hot one for cold and one for both. We get it set up the way we like it and then just use the one handle.Good luck
09-10-2019, 09:54 PM,
Just back from a week's vacation where they had one of these. One initial single minute of water hot enough to boil a chicken followed by 30 seconds of tepid and 30 more seconds of straight out of the cold pipe. Only saving grace was that you could turn off the water totally, wait 3 minutes until you heard the tank-less "click" outside and at point you could turn the water on again start the cycle all over. Marine shower with a twist!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Solar Water Heaters James Doran 8 191 Yesterday, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Mikel1
  Like Water for Chocolate TheRobF 0 87 11-07-2019, 11:47 AM
Last Post: TheRobF
  Water delivery Clifs1 2 140 08-18-2019, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Clay01
  Don't Drink the Water James Doran 7 337 01-24-2019, 11:02 AM
Last Post: DonJuane
  pets and tap water Ann001 7 263 12-28-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Ann001
  Solar water heater installer we recommend louisarogers 3 547 02-20-2018, 05:39 PM
Last Post: DonJuane
  Solar water heater installer recommendation louisarogers 2 463 01-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Mikel1
  where to buy a gas heater? dermotwa 3 912 11-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Last Post: The Duck
  water supply McNally del Campo 9 2,246 06-22-2016, 12:09 PM
Last Post: McNally del Campo
  High water bill? RandR 1 1,091 01-17-2016, 01:34 AM
Last Post: louisarogers