Ballot opened by US Customs when sent via DHL
10-20-2018, 02:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-20-2018, 03:03 PM by kimmy.)
Ballot opened by US Customs when sent via DHL
Hi All,

Just a warning to US citizens who may be sending a ballot back by courier.

My ballot was opened by US Customs and thus invalidated when I sent it back to the US via DHL with some other letters. My mother in Oregon is going to see how we can get around this issue (email voting in Oregon is an option. I'm lucky to have a mother who is concerned and is going to look into it from the US side.) The point is, it may not longer safe to send your ballot back by courier. (I've sent my ballot back by courier from Mexico for 25 years with no issues.)

If other people have had positive/negative experiences sending back ballots with DHL or FedEx for this election, please share.

I'll post an update when I have more info.

Kim
10-22-2018, 12:13 PM,
RE: Ballot opened by US Customs when sent via DHL
A few days ago the Consul in SMA was accepting ballots
for the diplomatic pouch to the U.S. Also at that time he
would help with a free phone call to your registrar of voters
if you have problems voting.
10-22-2018, 08:16 PM,
I use Regular Air Mail -non registered- from Thailand for 37cents to Minnesota and it works fine... The state [Minnesota] also has a Ballot Status check app which shows results like this:

Absentee Ballot Status
Your absentee ballot application was received. A ballot will be sent to you by email for each election through December 31, 2018.

November 6, 2018, State General Election:
Your ballot was accepted on October 17, 2018 and will be counted.

August 14, 2018, State Primary:

Your ballot was counted..
======
If you plan early enough regular mail avoids the cost and possible complications of an express courier or 2nd - 3rd -4th stage handling by US Consular shipping (getting ballot to SMA, then SMA to US Embassy in MEX DF, then, MEX DF US Embassy to US State dept then finally handed off to US regular mail.) Before I moved here [Thailand] I used regular mail from Mexico with 100% success.over 19 years
I believe K.I.S.S. is a far better option. Mailing from Mexico is slow -that's a fact - but really no slower than from many other countries. I believe it is reliable and don't share in the common and oft repeated ex-pat pejorative view that it is not.
10-22-2018, 08:29 PM,
You have a huge advantage- Minnesota actually wants all its citizens to vote.
Texas, Georgia and others only want some votes to count.
Sad, but so true.
10-25-2018, 01:59 PM,
I am spending the weekend in San Miguel de Allende on the way to US. If you want something mailed, I'll be leaving San Miguel early, early Monday, so have it to me by Sunday in San Miguel if you want anything mailed. Send a private message and I'll give a meet up location. I'll be here through the weekend.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Registering to vote and casting your ballot from México Doyle Phillips 0 943 01-22-2020, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Doyle Phillips
  DHLing ballot back to States next week kimmy 2 1,434 10-14-2018, 02:32 PM
Last Post: kimmy
  carry your absentee ballot to U.S. Consulate Doyle Phillips 3 1,477 10-08-2018, 05:19 PM
Last Post: vanessak
  Customs Question pianoheat 1 2,407 03-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Last Post: sparksmex
  Register to vote and get absentee ballot--online Doyle Phillips 0 1,433 02-15-2016, 03:21 PM
  Register to vote and get your absentee ballot Doyle Phillips 0 1,425 01-18-2014, 05:05 PM