CARAVANING TO GUANAJUATO CITY?
03-29-2018, 11:52 AM,
CARAVANING TO GUANAJUATO CITY?
A few days ago in Nuevo Laredo there was a shootout between gangsters and Mexican Marines.
Among the fatalities (and the wounded) was a mother and two daughters caught in the crossfire
as bystanders. https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/mother-...crossfire/

Since 2003 I've frequently crossed the border at and have stayed habitually in Nuevo Laredo
(City Express Hotel). The next trip, however, will entail a higher degree of caution. (State Dept
message below.) I will be leaving Laredo TX at daylight and travelling toll-roads most of the way
to Guanajuato.

So, being part of a caravan of two or more vehicles would make me feel a little more confidant.
Are you driving during the first week of May to Guanajuato or to San Miguel de Allende?
Maybe we can arrange meeting in Laredo and then we would drive in tandem.

28 April 2018 Tamaulipas state – Level 4: Do Not Travel Do not travel due to crime. Violent
crime, such as murder, armed robbery, carjacking, kidnapping, extortion, and sexual assault,
is common. Gang activity, including gun battles, is widespread. Armed criminal groups target
public and private passenger buses traveling through Tamaulipas, often taking passengers
hostage and demanding ransom payments. Local law enforcement has limited capability to
respond to violence in many parts of the state. --u.s. state dept
03-30-2018, 10:05 AM,
RE: CARAVANING TO GUANAJUATO CITY?
Could you choose another place to cross?
03-31-2018, 10:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2018, 10:32 AM by DonJuane.)
On behalf of the GTO Welcoming Committee (which I have unfairly not yet been appointed to but shall assume the duty in the over-site of this grand injustice) I hereby grant you the largest and warmest welcome within my authority, Senior Doyle Phillips on your return to this beautiful, sometimes grand and sometimes lacking municipality of Guanajuato!!!!

Now for your trip down, I wouldn't caravan with anyone. People I have found can be a really big pain in the you know what, complaining about this and that and especially some of the old and grumpy ones we know here (which neither of us will name due to our honorable character). And even if there are total strangers out in the land of the "Internets" who might be willing, I'd have to issue a word of warning because people in general are always complaining about something. You are driving too fast, too slow, they don't like this hotel, it's too near or far from the road, they don't like the restaurant you picked, you know ...... bla, bla, bla......

So I'd say just to chance it. Even if you do get in cross gunfire, imagine the stories you will tell and how famous you will be pulling through with a car full of bullet holes. And there is no greater adrenaline rush than realizing that the border crossing could be your last breath. It's like the old wild west and where else can you get a thrill like that these days?

But if you stop and take a look at it objectively, you're much more likely to have a wreck on the way to the local Walmart than get hit by these gunman. So I'd just put on my adventure hat and take a chance (if it was me, that is).
03-31-2018, 10:39 AM,
Otherwise .... Welcome Back ... your curiosity, willingness to help and relentless drive to do the right and good things for the community have been duly missed.
04-01-2018, 10:55 AM,
I'm going to be crossing at Laredo sometime this fall I hope, pending sale of my house. I'll have a carload of 5 cats, 2 dogs and a parrot, and I'm already nervous!! Hoping there are no shoot outs that day. Doyle--wondering why you stopped at Laredo Nuevo instead of spending night on TX side? I'm debating whether I should try to make the drive in one long day--Laredo to GTO--or stop for the night partway down. Any suggestions from anyone who's tried both ways?
04-01-2018, 11:02 AM,
Many high-speed toll roads make it an easy daylight drive from NL to GTO but plan to go via Silao from a 57 turn off outside San Luis Potosi. At NL allow time to get documented at aduana.
04-01-2018, 03:27 PM,
You recognize the two main options.
One is an early, near first light, departure and then a full 10-11 hour drive. Good quality toll roads consistently patrolled by Federal Police and vehicle assist Green Angels. With time change, sunset now at 8pm, you should arrive before that thus all daylight travel.
Option two, break up the trip. You’ll feel better and probably enjoy the journey far more, especially with pets.
We overnight in Matahuala with several good and secure motel and restaurant choices
You traverse the high desert country of northern Mexico and cross the Sierras. It’s a great trip. You’ll be ever glad you did it.
04-01-2018, 07:58 PM,
Thanks for responses. I'm thinking I'll probably stop mid way, just because it will be exhausting to drive that long then try to get animals unloaded at the end and situated, by myself.
04-02-2018, 02:18 PM,
I highly reccomendation the more “Las Palmas” for it’s easy access and nice comfy rooms. Good folks. You can reserve a room on direct phone call no money down
04-02-2018, 02:19 PM,
I highly reccomend the motel “Las Palmas” for it’s easy access and nice comfy rooms. Good folks. You can reserve a room on direct phone call no money down

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  where can i buy laminate wood floors in gto city? dermotwa 1 168 05-03-2018, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Kay Curtis
  Moving from U.S. to Guanajuato KenMacD 3 263 04-24-2018, 10:17 PM
Last Post: DebandPaul
  Guanajuato or San Miguel-- your thoughts? louisarogers 0 161 04-16-2018, 10:15 PM
Last Post: louisarogers
  Adult cohousing project in Guanajuato Capital Colibri 0 122 04-10-2018, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Colibri
  Guanajuato Cohousing gaining momentum and defining itself Colibri 4 386 03-28-2018, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Colibri
  Clean up Guanajuato Barbara 9 679 03-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Mikel1
  Life In Guanajuato James Doran 2 485 02-28-2018, 08:52 PM
Last Post: Barbara
  Best driving route from W Coast US to Guanajuato kimmy 7 508 02-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Last Post: peddler665
  junkyard in guanajuato? dermotwa 5 379 02-02-2018, 11:58 AM
Last Post: DonJuane
  Can we talk about Guanajuato? lorenzetti 27 2,568 02-01-2018, 07:53 PM
Last Post: DonJuane