Looking for a friend
03-28-2018, 12:56 PM,
Looking for a friend
A 77-year old man living in Santa Rosa is looking for a friend who speaks English, likes dogs; someone to talk to, go to lunch with, visit once in a while, man or woman. Please call 044 473 111 42 59. Thanks, Jerry Lee.
03-28-2018, 02:45 PM,
RE: Looking for a friend
Hi,
If your friend wants to come into town, he could go to the Sunday brunches. The schedule is posted a few threads down.
Barbara
03-28-2018, 04:58 PM,
Francisco and I would like to get acquainted with your friend (the dogs were a selling point) when we get back to Gto, only it could be a few months from now. :[

I'll make a note of it and I won't forget.

ju
04-01-2018, 03:30 PM,
Bruce, putting my snarky behavior to the side and no sarcasm intended, but you might like the Lake Chapala area more than where you are living, if you are not someone tied heavily to where you are living. When I last visited Chapala, a group called the Lake Chapala Society had established authority over a large lush garden over nearly a city block that looks like it would accommodate many Gringos who would like to spend the day talking and visiting with others. At the time I thought it would be an interesting place perhaps for me once I lost my rambling fever, to maybe settle down and enjoy my afternoons.

Otherwise I would say Guanajuato is one of the most "self-minded" retirement communities, if you can even call it that. Most of the people here are pretty much into their daily lives and don't seem to socialize like other popular areas of expats (other than a Sunday brunch). And while San Miguel de Allende used to offer that type of atmosphere, of kibitzing in the Jarin that offered a warm and friendly atmosphere to meet new friends and reminisce - today after the monumental marketing campaigns of recent times, it seems mostly populated by lost tourists having a rest rather than days of old where the Gringos and locals congregated to exchange stories and friendship every day.
04-02-2018, 05:52 PM,
Aww, it sounds sad that people don't have someplace to hang out in Gto and trade stories. Not even Plaza Fernando LINK to Google maps?

I looked at the website for the Lake Chapala Society, and it is impressive. LINK to Lake Chapala Society website.

ju
04-03-2018, 08:26 AM,
The expat demographics here are totally different than Chapala or SMA. Far fewer both in absolute numbers and as perecentage of overall population. Plus, for personal preferences, more independent and separate.
04-03-2018, 11:07 AM,
.... not to mention a few more adjectives LOL

Yep, you've definitely got to be a "self starter" and master of your own entertainment to live in GTO :-)

Still it's not worth signing the death sentence of a satellite or cable contract ;-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice needed for U.S. friend to apply for permanent residency here? AAinGTO 0 467 07-14-2017, 11:47 AM
Last Post: AAinGTO
cat Great old friend seeks small apartment Doyle Phillips 0 1,167 01-09-2015, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Doyle Phillips
  Another Gringo friend dies colleen 1 1,151 09-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Last Post: stephen carew
  Update on my friend's year 6/1 FM3 colleen 15 8,570 07-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Last Post: DavidR
Smile Friend the Guru on FACEBOOK! guanajuatoguru 0 944 11-28-2011, 01:32 AM
Last Post: guanajuatoguru
  Farley seeks friend and walking companion Juanita 0 1,125 12-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Juanita