Clean up Guanajuato
02-15-2018, 11:59 PM,
Clean up Guanajuato
COPYING FROM A POST ON THE GUANA WHAT FACEBOOK PAGE. PLEASE EMAIL ALEX IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. SUGGEST AREAS OF THE CITY YOU THINK NEED CLEANING AND THE DAYS/TIMES YOU ARE AVAILABLE TO HELP. THE CENTRO IS USUALLY KEPT CLEAN BY THE CITY, BUT OTHER STREETS AND CALLEJONES ARE NEGLECTED. HE WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THIS AN ON-GOING ACTIVITY, MAYBE ONCE A MONTH.

I would like to organize a garbage pick up walk/ run here in Guanajuato. Would this site be a good medium to organize something like that or does anybody know an alternative?

[email protected]
02-16-2018, 10:00 AM,
RE: Clean up Guanajuato
Peñaranda y Temezcuitate Have their own WhatsApp and use it for communication amongst neighbors. Social events, repair concerns and crime / suspicious activities. A monthly clean up is also promoted for the first Saturday of each month, there is a recycling component to the event as well, proceeds are used to fund purchases of materials to make repairs, add to the neighborhood alert system and fund social gatherings. It's an ongoing thing in this neighborhood. It might be happening in other areas too, good project.
Mike

02-16-2018, 11:49 AM,
Thanks, Mike1.

Could you please share this information by email to Alex at the email address on my post? He is the person trying to organize clean-ups. He's not on the Forum and can't see messages here.

Thanks!
02-17-2018, 12:36 PM,
Yes, please - share the contact info! I searched the internet for Peñaranda y Temezcuitate, and couldn't find out how to connect with them.
02-24-2018, 02:57 PM,
I did some more checking around and found these interesting groups:

Un Paseo de Guanajuato - Facebook
"Pertenecer a la ciudad es formar parte con su gente para disfrutarla, cuidarla, mantenerla limpia, segura, pintada, arbolada y sin grafitti."
Google translation: To belong to the city is to be part of its people to enjoy it, take care of it, keep it clean, safe, painted, wooded and without graffiti.
LINK

Movimiento Colibríes de Guanajuato - Facebook
"Somos un movimiento independiente de cualquier afiliación partidista o religiosa que se dedica a federar las buenas acciones de sus colibríes."
Google translation: We are an independent movement of any partisan or religious affiliation that is dedicated to federate the good deeds of its hummingbirds. (They lead ecological restoration projects and workshops for the public.)
LINK

And here's a non-profit dedicated to stray pets:
Fundacion Corazon Animal de Guanajuato - Facebook
"Esta es una asociación sin fines de lucro, fundada en la ciudad de guanajuato, gto. donde trabajamos arduamente por el bienestar de animales domésticos que se encuentran en situación de abandono y crueldad, tanto en la vía pública como en casa habitación."
Google translation: This is a non-profit association, founded in the city of Guanajuato, Gto. where we work hard for the welfare of pets that are in a situation of abandonment and cruelty, both on the street and in the home.
LINK

This animal rescue organization different from the Amigos de los Animales de Guanajuato, which appears to be in San Miguel de Allende. LINK

-Janet
02-25-2018, 09:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2018, 09:55 PM by Barbara.)
Thanks for these links, Janet.

I looked at the page "Un paseo de Guanajuato" but can't figure out if it's an active group or if they organize clean ups. It seems to be a page which just posts photos of city employees and others cleaning, and people using market bags instead of plastic bags.

Animals de los Animales is here in Guanajuato capital and is very active in sterilization campaigns and looking for homes for rescued dogs. They just had their annual fundraiser today, which was lots of fun and I hope a financial success. For those who are interested in donating, below is their webpage (they accept PayPal, Visa, and Master Card), and their facebook page for information about the free campaigns.

https://www.facebook.com/amigosdelosanim...tocapital/

http://amigosanimalesgto.org/en/amigos-d...uanajuato/

Barbara
02-26-2018, 01:52 PM,
Hi, Barbara -

I couldn't tell whether Un Paseo was organizing another cleanup, but I sent them a message to ask about it. And thanks for the info on the Amigos de los Animales - I had put their name in Google maps and it appeared to be in San Miguel. I wrote to Amigos to ask about visiting their shelter. We'll see what happens!

ju
02-26-2018, 04:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-26-2018, 04:32 PM by Barbara.)
Hi again Janet,

Great, let me know what you hear from Un Paseo.

Amigos de los Animales doesn't have a shelter, but Fundacion Corazon Animal de Guanajuato does. It's quite a way out of town so you will need to go with somebody by car, or have good directions. I believe they always need volunteers to help daily with feeding and clean-up, and on Sundays to take out and walk some of the dogs - they have over 100!

Barbara
02-27-2018, 01:31 PM,
Okay, thank you! We are in touch with Corazon in Facebook, and they said to call them when we're ready to visit and they'll give us directions.
03-01-2018, 01:19 PM,
I apologize for the very delinquent reply, deeply involved doing taxes and settling things NOB for the next year, before returning on a now permanent basis.

Whats App VECINOS

Facebook VecinosAlerta.Temezcuitate y alrededores

There is also a Temezqitate y Penarandas emergency alert system which neighborhood leaders created to notify neighbors of a crime being committed. The group leaders have a camera system in place and can actuate lights and audio alerts in the neighborhood if needed. Police are notified as well. Drills have been run to get an understanding of what to do if there is a disturbance.

The organizers of this group spearhead a monthly neighborhood clean up each first Saturday of the month. They encourage recycling, all recycled items are redeemed for cash, the receipt is posted and any profits are used for camera/ alarm system repairs of upgrades, callejon repairs, or community events.

A current project is repainting homes in need of sprucing up, but the owners may not be able to financially or physically do the work. So far, about 5 homes have been repainted with donated / purchased paint.

A couple of months back, the community donated materials, and the city provided labor to repair paving stones and grout, eliminating weeds, and making walking less precarious.

We will be donating labor and material to repair some stairs in the area, improving and cleaning up their function and looks.

A very active and organized group of homeowners. And nice people on top of it!
Mike

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adult cohousing project in Guanajuato Capital Colibri 1 181 06-13-2018, 01:59 AM
Last Post: Colibri
  Moving from U.S. to Guanajuato KenMacD 3 314 04-24-2018, 10:17 PM
Last Post: DebandPaul
  Guanajuato or San Miguel-- your thoughts? louisarogers 0 189 04-16-2018, 10:15 PM
Last Post: louisarogers
  CARAVANING TO GUANAJUATO CITY? Doyle Phillips 12 772 04-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Ann001
  Guanajuato Cohousing gaining momentum and defining itself Colibri 4 405 03-28-2018, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Colibri
  Life In Guanajuato James Doran 2 518 02-28-2018, 08:52 PM
Last Post: Barbara
  how to clean rugs or professional cleaner Karen Gans 0 165 02-20-2018, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Karen Gans
  Best driving route from W Coast US to Guanajuato kimmy 7 549 02-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Last Post: peddler665
  junkyard in guanajuato? dermotwa 5 393 02-02-2018, 11:58 AM
Last Post: DonJuane
  Can we talk about Guanajuato? lorenzetti 27 2,643 02-01-2018, 07:53 PM
Last Post: DonJuane