Cell Phone Service in GTO
12-30-2017, 01:27 PM,
Cell Phone Service in GTO
Hello everybody:

I am getting conflicting reports about Cell Phone use in GTO. Verizon wants me to buy their $25 travel plan for Mexico and tells mw that they are partnered with TelCel so my Verizon phone service will work in GTO. (The plan is somewhat limited but good enough for a three week trip.) But now an acquaintance of mine in GTO says that she had trouble with Verizon in GTO nine months ago so she just got the TelCel SIM card.

Can anyone report to me accurately whether or not the Verizon travel plan that partners with TelCel actually works in GTO? I am also going to SMA and Morelia and Oaxaca and Playa San Agustinillo. Can I expect Verizopn to work in all of those places????

Jim
12-30-2017, 08:46 PM,
RE: Cell Phone Service in GTO
I think it depends on the phone. I haven't looked at this in some time but actually none of the Verizon frequencies that your cell phone uses to communicate with the Verizon towers in the US will work in Mexico and it depends then totally upon if your model of Verizon phone is flexible enough to communicate via the GSM technology that Telcel uses, in addition to the Verizon frequencies back in the US. If your phone's capabilities do include at least one of the Telcel bands, then you are in luck. In the Facebook group "On the road in Mexico", this topic gets hashed around a lot. Bad thing is the majority of those are west coast and Canadians who migrate to Baja each year and not a great deal of them come to this area. Still it could be worth a try.

It's really hard to keep up with the changing technology. I'd start by looking online to find the full specs of the exact model of phone you have, then from that you can see if any of the phone's bands match what Telcel is using (see link below).

Here are the frequencies that Telcel uses: https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers/telcel-mexico

Now if your phone specs match at least one of those, then you are almost home free. And I say almost because sometimes cell companies will use one set of bands in one city and another set in another city, so even though one of the bands your cell phone is capable of transmitting is in the list of Telcel frequencies, then you might be out of luck from time to time when Telcel might be using a band at some location that your smart phone does NOT support.

Yes, it's complicated.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Temporary suspension of internet service MissMyBike 0 270 07-21-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: MissMyBike
  TV Broadcast Antenna Locations in GTO MissMyBike 1 367 04-09-2023, 01:04 PM
Last Post: roberb7
  Emergency 911 Using a USA-based Phone MissMyBike 0 493 09-19-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: MissMyBike
  GTO organization Las Libres stepping up distribution of abortion pills roberb7 0 563 07-15-2022, 03:12 PM
Last Post: roberb7
  GTO has a dog whisperer jesm 0 565 07-04-2022, 07:09 AM
Last Post: jesm
  Internet Service Provider MissMyBike 3 730 05-24-2022, 10:16 AM
Last Post: DonJuane
  Fly with dog to GTO M Webber 1 770 01-10-2022, 02:47 AM
Last Post: mr bill
  Auto Towing Service TulieB 1 768 11-08-2021, 03:39 PM
Last Post: doncoulter
  Getting to know GTO wmeleney 2 1,041 10-25-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: wmeleney
  COVID conditions and restrictions in GTO wmeleney 2 1,151 09-03-2021, 10:15 PM
Last Post: DonJuane