Donate your body
09-03-2017, 03:17 PM,
Donate your body
For those of you living here in Guanajuato who might die here, have you thought about what you want to be done with your body? Perhaps you'd like to donate it to the medical school of the Universidad de Guanajuato. An email address and phone number for more information in the link below
Also, if you don't have a will, September (mes de la patria!) is the month when notary publics offer a discount to write a will which is legal in Mexico.

On a lighter note, there are some excellent films at the CineClub of the UG and Cine de Mina this week. Enjoy!

http://www.ugto.mx/noticias/noticias/118...estigacion
09-05-2017, 01:24 PM,
RE: Donate your body
How comical; this isn't a direct response to my previous post is it? I hope not! Hey, this old dog is here to stay LOL. But seriously I am an organ donor on my driver's license which makes me wonder, is this even honored in Mexico? (Not that anyone would want anything after having a good look at any of these organs.) Still I suppose the university could have what was left.

Else your proposal for facing death may not get that many hits, especially in this crowd. (I've often wondered if they passed out brochures back up north for moving to Guanajuato at scenes of accidents, distributing them only to those standing in the outer circles of the event to cover only those who witnessed but stood well behind so they wouldn't have to get too involved LOL - you'd think everyone was dead here, that is until someone decides to complain about the dog poop, wink, wink ) Then again, maybe it's the water. After all, just mention Guanajuato to anyone in Mexico and what's the first word that comes to mouth? That's "mummy". (Mum's definitely the word.)

Otherwise back to cheating death. (No need for applause.) I was just thinking the other day that although this area as an ash destination is of honorable mention, I originally planned to have my ashes spread across the Santa Rosa wall, the deep undersea wall leading down to the Cayman Trench that Jack Cousteau discovered back in the 60's, just off the island of Cozumel, Mexico. It's my own personal favorite SCUBA diving destination.

Wonder if one can do a "partial donation" to the university while leaving a few of their ashes somewhere else for posterity along the way :-)
09-05-2017, 07:57 PM,
Don Juane,

Haha, no my post was not in reply to yours, but was on my mind when somebody on a facebook page of expats uncensored in Mexico asked if we have a will, a living will, and what we planned to do with our bodies when we leave them. Someone else who lives in Leon suggested the possibility of donating your body to the UG medical school, they seem to have the need for corpses because it's not a common practice in the area to donate your body for medical research.

My original thoughts were cremation, too, but I don't want to bother anybody with the task of disposing of my ashes; it's not a pleasant task, so I'm opting for this donation process. Hopefully that will help some med student and not contribute to more pollution here.

About organ donation, I'm not sure about your foreign driver's license. I have a Mexican Licencia de Conducir, and it indicates that I am a "donador."

I've been alive and kicking here in Guanajuato for 26 years now, no plans for mummifying myself, but I don't post here often.
09-06-2017, 01:12 PM,
Dear Barbara
I am very, very grateful for your post. I have been trying to find a way to donate my body to a medical school instead of cremation. I had checked out the medical school in Guadalajara to do it, but will now be living in Guanajuato. Your information is very helpful. Thank you. Gigi
09-06-2017, 01:37 PM,
Thanks! While I am "scheduled" for cremation if I die at home this is much better than having me shipped back to the US if i die in the GTO area.
09-07-2017, 11:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 11:53 AM by Barbara.)
Gigi, Peddler, and others,

If you would like to save yourself a trip to Leon, Dr. Gerardo Chávez Saavedra from the Universidad de Guanajuato, Campus Leon, Departamento de Medicina y Nutrición will be coming to Guanajuato to collect forms for those who want to donate their bodies to the medical school. He will bring blank forms for us to fill out; they can't be sent by email because they need to be signed and witnesses in front of him.

We will meet here:

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2017
1:30 P.M.
Los Alpes Restaurant patio (in front of the main doors of the Universidad de Guanajuato on Lascurain de Retana)

BRING: your original PASSPORT, IFE, and/or other official Mexican immigration ID card. If you like, bring a witness; otherwise we can be each others' witnesses. We can made copies of the ID at the copy center attached to Los Alpes.

If you plan to attend, please let me know so I can tell Dr. Chávez how many people to expect.

See you there!

P.S. I have more information in English about the donor program, but the attachment is too large to include here. Send me an email at [email protected] and I'll forward it to you.
09-07-2017, 09:51 PM,
Just when you think it can't get any worse, someone flags you for pollution when cremating your body. I guess the subject of this post just opens up too many opportunities to crack a joke .....

Speaking of which - Back home I used to tell my relatives, just remember my last wishes if I ever die ....

"I wish I wasn't dead!!!" :-)
09-17-2017, 09:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2017, 09:10 PM by Barbara.)
REMINDER: We will meet Dr. Chavez this Friday at 1:30 at Los Alpes.
More information above.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto body work? Mykul 0 171 12-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Mykul
  Clothes to donate HyFlite 1 1,067 03-29-2013, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Jzmackenzie
Thumbs Up INVITATION - Conference - The Body Phantastique: Anatomy, Physiology, Soul & Spirit CentroBharati 0 1,071 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Last Post: CentroBharati
  Where to Donate Used Clothing? kasugie 1 1,304 07-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Last Post: meroberts