Can we talk about Guanajuato?
12-30-2017, 09:14 AM,
RE: Can we talk about Guanajuato?
Enough already! Yes, we have hills. Lots of them. Some steep, some very steep. One is even aptly named El Infierno (the hell). They give us our amazing views and the geology and topography provide the precious ores that first caused this place to ever exist.
But the fear of physical exhaustion or bodily harm are phantoms. You walk as much as you want, in whatever direction or inclination that suits you. There are treats to be enjoyed no matter where you choose to head, up, down, a little of both.
We are up on the Panorámica above La Presa de La Olla, a height difference of 180 feet from lake level if my altimeter is correct. We walk down, we walk up. Some days we do, some we don’t.
Please bear in mind the saving grace for all of this is that taxis are plentiful and the ride up to one’s home when desired is 50 pesos or about $2.60 US. Pretty cheap and simple solution to what some see as a challenge too tough to take.
I think we should be more like San Francisco and embrace our beautiful hills and even write songs of praise for having such beauty and diversity.
12-30-2017, 10:11 AM,
Enough of WHAT already? I was responding to an invitation out for a drink. Basically I'd make this recommendation to anyone and feel comfortable to do so to their face and that is, if an opinion of someone other than your own offends you that much, I'd highly recommend that you seek another form of entertainment. I and everyone else have as much right to our own opinions as anyone else, and so does everyone else here.

If you have an idea to present, try presenting the idea without saying others opinions don't count. It makes for a greater debate when leaving out the name calling and degrading part. Enough of saying enough of already!

Cheers :-)
12-30-2017, 10:37 AM,
If you sell all your stuff and move here, perhaps planning on getting a job here and you don't even consider any of the things I pointed out, then perhaps the consensus is that any repercussions will be your own tough luck. I point out some of the issues that people don't think about and people can either take this into consideration or they can completely ignore it. At least the thoughts have been presented for consideration. If people are thinking of moving here, I am certain they have already realized the reasons they want to move here; perhaps something I say can allow them to make a more informed decision - or not.

My best friend of 25 years who lived through WW2, fleeing from communist Hungary, to Argentina, to Europe once told me that the real reason most people move is to escape themselves, while most unfortunately they soon discover that no matter where they go, there they are. I always accepted this not as a contrary opinion to my own wanderlust but something worthy of thought and consideration. In fact it is so meaningful that as I travel about it's the one thing that I always most recall from the time of his and my friendship.

Additionally the subject I present has been considered by many, considering it was enough for normally happy-song Buffet's "Banana Republics" and others such as Jerry Jeff Walker's "Gringo in Belize". There's a lot of people out there with dreams and not all of them turn out as expected. If someone stifles that dream due to a point missed and learned before a fateful leap, perhaps the person with that dream can move on to a better one.
12-30-2017, 11:53 AM,
If you are one like me who shares others broken dreams with equal parts of empathy and humor, and you are a fan of Jimmy Buffett then you might enjoy another little known work by Buffet and that is his first musical "Don't Stop the Carnival". It's something that goes along these lines of heartache and humor.

More about where it came from here .....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_St...al_(novel)

Basically the album tells the story in song and while it's nothing like you've heard from Buffett before, it grows on you after a couple of spins.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transportation from BJX to Guanajuato City cab2345 2 106 01-11-2018, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Sue100
  Adult cohousing project in Guanajuato Capital Colibri 12 919 01-11-2018, 01:40 AM
Last Post: alikarim
  Hello, Guanajuato… Hello! CoryBrown 7 270 12-08-2017, 03:57 AM
Last Post: DonJuane
  Advice needed - Buying an apartment in Guanajuato Clemens 0 232 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Clemens
  Goodbye, Guanajuato ... goodbye. SoNouveau 23 3,504 08-20-2017, 12:28 PM
  Pre Concert talk? pianoheat 1 281 08-20-2017, 11:57 AM
  The English Language Library of Guanajuato (ELL) needs you and your money. Doyle Phillips 2 450 03-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Doyle Phillips
  Newly-updated AA/Al-Anon Meeting Schedule for Guanajuato City, Mexico. AAinGTO 0 513 03-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Last Post: AAinGTO
  Map of Guanajuato bus routes? louisarogers 1 475 02-19-2017, 07:26 AM
Last Post: pianoheat
  Dentist in Guanajuato is here to help with your dental needs Dental GTO 1 789 01-26-2017, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Sue100