Excellent link to events in Guanajuato
09-23-2016, 01:42 PM,
Excellent link to events in Guanajuato
It seems like there are more events in Guanajuato than ever, or maybe I started to notice them since I retired last year. I found myself trying to keep up with different email messages, facebook pages, this forum, posters around town, word of mouth, and the tourist kiosk. A few months ago I met Karen Yee, and recently I joined her local meetup group. It's the most complete listing I've ever seen, and it's free to join. If you know of other events, please send her a message on the Disfruta GTO page (see link below), and she'll add it there. Thank you Karen, for putting this together!

P.S. Kay, you could add the Sunday brunches there if you wish.

http://www.meetup.com/Disfruta-GTO/
09-24-2016, 11:04 AM,
RE: Excellent link to events in Guanajuato
I joined this group after you posted it, and I'm honestly a little disappointed. :/ There are a lot of events listed, but all the descriptions are in spanish and it makes it really difficult to understand what's going on, even with a translator. In addition, it seems like half the locations are incorrect. The map links to someplace in mexico city, or Guerrero, etc. I'm the type of person that's definitely not afraid to show up and soldier through in my awful spanish to enjoy whatever is there, but it's definitely not helpful if I don't know where, nor understand what it is that I can expect.

Not that any of this is anyone's fault of course. I'm just finding it way more difficult to connect here and get involved to a level of my understanding than I had hoped for. :/
10-01-2016, 12:06 AM,
Hi Erica,
I'm sorry you are disappointed with this meetup link. I sent a copy of your comment to the meetup organizer.
I live here and know where all the locations are, so I never looked at the maps; I didn't know some of them are incorrect. If you get a map of the city at the tourist booth in the Jardin Union, you will be able to find most of these places.
As I said in my original posting, this is the most complete link of events in Guanajuato I have ever seen. A lot of the members are from other cities in Mexico or they are tourists who come to Guanajuato from other countries. I don't think Karen started this group with just expats in mind, and she probably thought most people would have enough grasp of Spanish to have a general idea of what the events are about.
If you have a doubt about an event, you could ask a question or make a comment: just click on the name of the event and write in the box where it says "Hey Erica, get the conversastion started!" If Karen isn't online, someone else will probably respond (but maybe not so quickly during Cervantino!).
I hope this helps and you are able to find your way around.
Barbara
10-01-2016, 11:40 PM,
HERE'S KAREN'S RESPONSE ABOUT THE DISFRUTA GTO MEET UP GROUP. ERICA, SHE ASKED ME TO POST THIS HERE BECAUSE SHE WASN'T SURE SHE COULD FIND YOU ON THE MEET UP PAGE.

Hello -

It is unfortunate that you are disappointed with the site and its lack of ease in understanding the events and where there are.

It is a compilation of the cultural events in GTO, whose descriptions and listings are written by the companies producing the events and/or by the venues themselves and hence primarily in Spanish. As they are written by Mexicans, I assume the writing is correct. Often in Google Translate and the like, the translations are literal - word for word - which is not always an accurate translation, but hopefully you can get the gist.

Addresses on the site, when listed, are actual addresses of the venue. Yes, often Google Maps simply doesn't have them listed, guess these Callejones makes it hard for them to map. Additionally, addresses often aren't used by locals, for example with Teatro Juárez - everyone knows it as being in front of El Jardin, and therefore I have listed it as such. I don't think many people can give me the proper address of that theater.

Guanajuantenses are very friendly and amable. I am sure they would be helpful if you can't find a venue, to help point you in the right direction. Along with the handful of Tourist Kiosk booths in town, who supply maps. GTO is a fairly small town and hopefully you discovering where the venues are will happen soon. It would be a shame if you were not able to take advantage of the great cultural offerings here, many which are free or very very inexpensive, because of a language barrier. I do hope your frustration does not impide your enjoyment of this wonderful city and all it has to offer.

Karen Yee
11-20-2016, 08:43 PM,
This Meetup group is a lot of fun and very active. Karen puts a lot of work into this, but cannot be expected to attend every event or give directions (although she's always been very helpful in my experience) It's something of a thankless job for her, yet she continues-give her a break. Part of the fun of being here is practicing my abysmal Spanish with locals who are happy to help. Por ejemplo, I spent an hour trying to find a Meetup tonight, but talked to a lot of nice people. Some didn't know the place and others gave instructions I didn't fully understand, but it's the journey, right? ;-)
Deb Lander
Quote:Es lo que hay...
http://www.bestajijicrentals.com
01-10-2017, 03:15 PM,
Thank you for posting this with the link. It looks like a great resource for those of us living in Guanajuato.
Even if we could turn back, we'd probably never end up where we started - Haruki Murakami
01-10-2017, 09:00 PM,
.... descriptions are not clear because they are in Spanish (he, he).... This one made me cackle out loud.

No offense but one of my favorite things about this city is it forces you to learn Spanish. Cherish it for as long as it lasts ... Starbucks today; San Miguel tomorrow ;-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excellent dog food? NatJon 3 102 10-27-2017, 10:38 AM
Last Post: NatJon
  Advice needed - Buying an apartment in Guanajuato Clemens 0 151 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Clemens
  Adult cohousing project in Guanajuato Capital Colibri 2 547 10-13-2017, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Jane01
  Can we talk about Guanajuato? lorenzetti 8 643 08-26-2017, 05:54 PM
Last Post: lorenzetti
  Goodbye, Guanajuato ... goodbye. SoNouveau 23 3,160 08-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Last Post: DonJuane
  Private Elite Limo Tours in Guanajuato...We go where other tour guides can't go! GTO LIMO RIDES 10 2,793 08-09-2017, 11:41 AM
Last Post: GTO LIMO RIDES
  The English Language Library of Guanajuato (ELL) needs you and your money. Doyle Phillips 2 410 03-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Doyle Phillips
  Newly-updated AA/Al-Anon Meeting Schedule for Guanajuato City, Mexico. AAinGTO 0 411 03-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Last Post: AAinGTO
  Map of Guanajuato bus routes? louisarogers 1 423 02-19-2017, 07:26 AM
Last Post: pianoheat
  Dentist in Guanajuato is here to help with your dental needs Dental GTO 1 729 01-26-2017, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Sue100