computer repair
06-18-2015, 11:37 PM,
computer repair
Can someone recommend a person to fix computer problems who doesnt charge too much.If he speaks english its a plus,but its ok if he doesnt.I had 1 guy quote me 350 pesos to remove a virus,it seemed expensive to me....
06-19-2015, 09:34 AM,
RE: computer repair
350 pesos sounds like a bargain. Or you might be able to do the job yourself for free, if you're willing to spend a few hours of your own time googling for answers and applying them. After a couple of hours of frustration, though, you might conclude that 350 pesos wasn't so expensive after all.

Don
06-19-2015, 10:38 AM,
I agree that 350 doesn't sound too expensive for that.

We use a guy on Positos. He has a computer repair shop there. If you are walking towards the Alhondiga, his shop is on the right hand side, maybe a block before Desmond's irish Pub.

There is also a computer place by Embajadores (in that little strip of shops next to the Hotel). They are EXPENSIVE. I went to them to ask about getting my computer cleaned...just phyiscally cleaned (getting rid of dust inside and out). They wanted to charge me $650. Our guy on Positos charged me $120. (I live near Embajadores so I thought I would try just for convenience but not at that price!)
06-19-2015, 10:56 AM,
What kind of virus do you have. I mean what are the indications?
06-19-2015, 11:05 AM,
To properly clean a laptop, one must remove the keyboard and all the screws that hold it in place and including all the hidden ones, but most importantly, a series of micro miniature flat ribbon cables must be managed which connect the various parts of the computer together. If the internal fan is to be cleaned, often disassembley down to the mother board level is required which is tedious and can take an hour or two, even if you are experienced. Working with these delicate ribbon cables require a special knowledge of how to properly remove them where no damage will occur.

So what I am saying is, when hiring someone to do the work, ensure that is the business they are in and they have done the job many times before and prior to taking yours in to service. From that point it is a matter of finding a good price.

To clean a desktop computer, just take it to a service station or tire repair shop and tip them to borrow their blow gun. Open the side panel of the computer tower and use a thin screwdriver to hold each fan from turning when you approach it with the blow gun. If you blast a computer fan with a blow gun, you can make the fan turn at many multiples of times faster than the device is designed to turn and cause a bearing to burn out or for it fail prematurely with a shortened lifetime.

Of course if it is over 100PSI and you see things starting to bend when you are cleaning it, ease back - you don't want to rip the cables off the mother board if the air pressure is super high. In other words approach slowly and just get close enough to disrupt the dust, don't try to sandblast it :-)

P.S. Wear a mask or hold your breath if out in the open. Dust city! :-)
06-19-2015, 11:50 AM,
Best Buy in the US charges $200US to remove a virus, so consider when looking locally. I have removed hundreds of virus's in computers and have received payment of "nothing" to "an expensive meal" to "a free weeks stay at a hotel in Honduras where the hotel owner was in shock and panic" to "everything in between". So it just comes down to piece of labor up for negotiation, plus who you trust to put all your worldlys and shenanigans in front of for perusal ;-).

The virus remover will accumulate over his career a series of tools which scan your computer and report results. The knowledge and expertise of the person scanning for the problem will be called upon to understand which items reported are threats and which ones are OK. The threats will be deleted and the ones which are false indications and perhaps key operating hooks supporting other software will be left in place by them.

The computer will be scanned before and rescanned after threat removal takes place. Testing of common operations should occur after removal of any rogue software. Now each of these scans takes anywhere from about 2 hours in a brand new or super fast device to maybe 4, 6, or 8 hours in a lower priced or older device. So if you are a computer tech who is working on computers all day, you set your tools to run on a client's computer and you continue on with various other tasks. If you are a friend working on an infected computer, it usually means giving up your daily fun to watch your friends scans ticktock by.

So again it's a matter of the value of labor and trust as to who works on your computer or scans it for a virus (and unsaid but a factor, the quality of job they do). The price comes down to what you are willing to pay and what they are trying to charge added to the trust factor.

**** Add to this, you should understand what virus removal means to both you and the tech who is working on it. If you are thinking it means your computer is repaired to where it works exactly like it did the day before you got the virus and the tech is thinking that you are wanting a fresh uncustomized version of Windows, losing all you have done up to this point, then that is certainly something to be ironed out before you get started with the work.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bike repair Mikel1 1 844 06-12-2021, 01:51 PM
Last Post: kasugie
  SLR camera repair admin 2 1,182 03-18-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: roberb7
  tech/internet repair person Ann001 1 987 03-12-2021, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jesm
  Washing-machine repair doncoulter 0 836 06-07-2020, 11:49 AM
Last Post: doncoulter
  Sewing machine repair Mickey 0 922 09-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Mickey
  Smart TV and Dell Computer Help Needed Gigi Harrison 0 924 05-31-2018, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Gigi Harrison
  shoe repair? Sue100 2 1,502 01-15-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: DGA001
  Jewellery repair MarionP 2 1,524 08-27-2017, 10:54 AM
Last Post: MarionP
  I phone repair Mikel1 0 1,083 04-21-2017, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Mikel1
  Brillantes Caminantes computer request Kay Curtis 0 1,328 06-06-2016, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Kay Curtis