Guanajuato Retirement
04-12-2015, 02:32 AM,
Guanajuato Retirement
Hi Everyone. My wife and I are considering Guanajuato for retirement in late 2016. We're familiar with San Miguel but never made it to GTO to check it out. We'll be 55 and will have $1700 a month to live on until SS starts. Is that enough to live modestly? A small apartment, decent internet, probably satellite tv. But nothing extravagant. Thanks for all opinions!
04-12-2015, 10:37 AM,
RE: Guanajuato Retirement
That amount is plenty. You planning on renting or buying?

Welcome to Gto,
Ponce
www.MinorityRacer.com GTO es tuyo...Todo bajo Control
[Image: Forum_Sig_Pic.jpg]
04-12-2015, 02:48 PM,
Thanks Ponce. We'll rent. Do you find GTO meets your shopping needs or do people make a lot of runs to Leon? I'd like to get rid of our car but will hang on to it if necessary. I've read parking a car can be expensive.
04-13-2015, 09:11 AM,
Might check at your local Mexican Consulate about a resident visa ..... unless a 180 day tourist permit is OK with you. $1700 between 2 people is not enough to qualify for a Temporal Visa
My Mexico Page
http://sparks-mexico.com/
04-13-2015, 11:39 AM,
As a budget traveler who spent 2 months in GTO this year I would be hesitate to try it on $1,700 a month for 2.
Now if you get lucky finding a quality apartment like I had for 3,500 pesos plus utilities you might squeeze by.
I can do it on $1,000 US a month when alone but no way in this life could it work with my wife there also. Also I consume no alcohol beverages which I believe are similarity priced with US prices.
Groceries are expensive in comparison to the US. I would say on average a store such as Mega runs about 30 % higher than say Winco in California. There is a Costco in Leon which I presume may be cheaper but have had no personal experience there.
Many of the local Cafes especially around the University are bargains with 50 peso lunches/dinners for non students who normally pay 35.
Some of the higher end places have set menus for around 135 pesos (about $9 US) for a extra nice Siesta meal.
04-13-2015, 12:27 PM,
it may be a life without frills but you could pull it off and the adventure alone would make it worthwhile and fun. Numbers of USA ex-pats live here solely on their social security and enjoy a "modest" but enjoyable existence. Housing costs,plus the surprise medical or other unexpected expenses will be a huge variable and ditching the auto will free money for meals out and other extras. Leon offers more variety in shopping and dining but going there is a hassle and costly. Your dollar presently sits at a near record versus the peso and that might not last, but for now it helps mucho. IMO a couple can live rather well in nice aurroundings here with $2500 US per month.
04-13-2015, 01:12 PM,
It would probably depend on how much you can find a place to rent for but it definitely is possible. In loma de pozuelos a 1 bed, 2 story house, close to mega and the centre is about 9000 pesos/month but this is what makes a huge difference in living costs, if you can find somewhere you like to rent for cheap.
I spend about $1500 pesos a week on food mainly shopping in guanajuato and buying gluten free stuff and not sticking to a budget, if you buy at the markets and watch where it goes it can be cheaper. You can have a cheap street dinner for $100 pesos for 2 if you want.
My services including gas, water, electricity, internet (no phone but only a little bit more with internet or cable) range between $1500 to $2000 a month, for a small house with limited use of a dryer. Internet and phone is about 400 pesos a month, unless you speak fluent spanish i wouldn't get cable which is expensive, mainly in spanish and only with spanish subtitles, I was paying maybe 400 a month and sharing with the neighbour and never used it, but get Netflix which is only 99 pesos a month and has lots and lots in english, no ads and is generally just awesome.
I have only just bought a car and started visiting Leon but you can get all the same food here and everything you need to live comfortably. Leon is only a cheap bus fare away (but about 1.5hrs on the bus), you can also get it to Silao to stock up which is meant to have cheaper food.
Car running costs are expensive, fuel, changing the rod for the wheels because of the cobblestone roads, insurance, registering, toll roads etc. All add up very quickly and I would think be hard on that budget. Parking isn't very much, between 10-30pesos for a couple of hours but houses close to the centre don't have parking spots and you can't access a lot of the centre by car. There is a lot of walking here, and all of it seems to be uphill!!
The bus is 10 pesos (maybe a little less depending on the type), taxis in the central area are 35 pesos up to 50 pesos if you are further away. If you like walking, tortillas, walking up hill and walking some more, then guanajuato is the perfect town!
04-13-2015, 05:18 PM,
There's lots of apartments for rent at around 3,500 pesos/month. That's what I'm paying, and have a magnificent view. There's apartments available for less than that, but my observation was, cheaper places don't have adequate kitchens.

I agree with Lisa that cable and satellite dishes are overpriced and unnecessary. I get all the TV and movies I need over the internet.

I got by without a car, with little difficulty, for the first 18 months I was here. They only reason I have one now is because I got it for free (plus the $1,000 I paid to import it.) To give one example, buses to León stop right in front of Costco.
04-13-2015, 06:58 PM,
Thanks for the good info. Think we're going to head to Nicaragua until SS kicks in. Guanajuato looks amazing, and I enjoy taking long walks. When I read most traffic is routed through tunnels making it a pedestrian paradise so at the very least will have to visit.
04-13-2015, 09:36 PM,
In addition to Netflix You Tube has dozens of old TV shows & a ton of movies at no cost. I found I watch Have Gun Will Travel, Gun Smoke, Mary Tyler Moore, Matlock, , Perry Mason, Murder She Wrote, Even Jeopardy on there plus many more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can we talk about Guanajuato? lorenzetti 1 108 08-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Last Post: jesm
  Private Elite Limo Tours in Guanajuato...We go where other tour guides can't go! GTO LIMO RIDES 10 2,265 08-09-2017, 11:41 AM
Last Post: GTO LIMO RIDES
  Goodbye, Guanajuato ... goodbye. SoNouveau 22 2,085 07-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: Gigi Harrison
  Adult cohousing project in Guanajuato Capital Colibri 1 184 07-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Last Post: Clay01
  The English Language Library of Guanajuato (ELL) needs you and your money. Doyle Phillips 2 260 03-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Doyle Phillips
  Newly-updated AA/Al-Anon Meeting Schedule for Guanajuato City, Mexico. AAinGTO 0 210 03-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Last Post: AAinGTO
  Map of Guanajuato bus routes? louisarogers 1 289 02-19-2017, 07:26 AM
Last Post: pianoheat
  Dentist in Guanajuato is here to help with your dental needs Dental GTO 1 591 01-26-2017, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Sue100
  Subject: Calling all Americans living in Guanajuato Doyle Phillips 1 427 01-21-2017, 12:54 PM
Last Post: SoNouveau
  Excellent link to events in Guanajuato Barbara 6 1,064 01-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Last Post: DonJuane