A blog that disparages expats
08-22-2010, 09:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-22-2010, 09:24 PM by DavidR.)
A blog that disparages expats
Dear all,

This is one of the blogs that concerns me. Please see my comments further down the page.

David

SATURDAY, AUGUST 21, 2010
Gringolandia: Liberalandia

I have been trying to make this point for years: The vast majority of Americans who move to Mexico and form Gringolandians are political and religious liberals.??Just one example of this is the death threats and wishes I've received from them as a result of the stand I take on what is and what is not true a true expatriate.??I am mentioning this due to an article I read in Foxnews today: "Dems' Shocking Palin Death Wish". This is a story in which...??"A New Hampshire Democratic candidate has apologized for a Facebook post in which he wished Sarah Palin and the father of her grandchild, Levi Johnston, had been on the plane that crashed Tuesday, killing former Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens."
IS THIS HOW ALL LIBERAL THINK?
I am also mentioning this because of a new mortal enemy I've acquired named, David. He is going about forums, "Gto_List" to be specific, sending me messages. The latest was his wanting to know if I will enable the comments feature of this blog so he can let me have it by refuting my "scurrilous" screed.

I wonder if he even understands the definition of the word:
1. Given to the use of vulgar, coarse, or abusive language; foul-mouthed.
2. Expressed in vulgar, coarse, and abusive language.
Well, David....I do not enable the comments on this blog because of people like you who use language like "scurrilous", and much stronger, in your overblown reactions to this blog's subject. I choose not to enable narcissistic behavior by some Gringolandians.

And, if you are like the rest of the liberal Gringolandians who move here, it is just a matter of time before your terminal narcissism takes over and the threats start to come.
If you want to take another look into the dizzy minds and fuzzy thnking of the majority of Gringolandians, check out this story: Escape From America.
And one final word for you David. Check out the title of this blog:
LIVING IN GUANAJUATO

Just my thoughts, my controversial opinions, my editorializing, and my strongly worded thoughts on my life and travels in Central Mexico!
If you don't like what I write, don't read it or get your own blog and write whatever you think is the truth about living in Central Mexico.

Dear Doug,

Thank you for mentioning me in your blog, I am honoured, but I feel compelled take you up on some of your ?controversial opinions? and ?editorializing?

I would like to start with your refusal to allow a comments area in your blogs. This would seem to indicate a lack of confidence in your writing and a fear of criticism that, for a professional writer as yourself, would normally be used to gauge reader response and act as a learning exercise. I would recommend that you reconsider your policy.

The use of the expression ?mortal enemy? seems strong when one considers I made a simple request. I doubt very much that you have any such enemies either here or in your country of origin although you have made spurious claims that you have had three death threats in the past. The word paranoia springs to mind.

Next is your selective use of definitions regarding my correctly used word ?scurrilous?. Return to your dictionaries and check again. This calls into question many of the ?facts? you are fond of using. With reference to the word ?narcissistic? we need not look any further than your self-referential writing.

Your are correct in assuming that I do not like what you write as you are doing a disservice to our host country, the US, all of the expats who live here and, ultimately, yourself. We do not hate you but rather feel pity.

My preference for this discussion would be for it to take place on your blog but as you refuse to open it to comments I have taken the action of addressing you in an open forum

I would like you to post this letter, unexpurgated, on your blog. I believe that another view needs to expressed.

All the best,
David Rogers
08-22-2010, 09:22 PM,
RE: A blog that disparages expats
i must say, you sparked my interest...i'd like to see this blog that you are writing about. can you post a link?
08-22-2010, 10:26 PM,
Well I too have been concerned by the web/blog post and book excerpts from Doug Bower. After much reading i concluded that this
man is a broken soul and possibly has a personality disorder. Having lived in GTO I know that what he puts out on the web is at best fiction but most likely dillusional. He rants endlessly about the US expats but also about Mexican nationals. I was taken aback to read that he thinks Mexicans are liars, thieves, cheats and in one case bums.These are his words not mine. If you took him for his word one would think that GTO is over run with anti American thugs,rapist and killers. I also wonder aloud why Mexican officals have not revoked his Visa and sent him packing.
08-22-2010, 10:49 PM,
Bravo! You expressed my sentiments exactly, but much more eloquently.

(08-22-2010, 09:15 PM)DavidR Wrote: Dear all,

This is one of the blogs that concerns me. Please see my comments further down the page.

David
08-22-2010, 11:11 PM,
I have continued to read Doug Bower's blog, and I continue be blown away by how his descriptions never seem to match, in any way, the city I own a house in. I even live near him, it seems, and have seen him repeatedly misrepresent the area.

He certainly has his right to his opinions, though he clearly does not wish to discuss these opinions with anyone else, just post them as fact. Perhaps, posting his posts here will give us a place to discuss. I certainly don't see any of us as attacking him, and definitely no one is threatening him. I just hate to see this kind of thing go unchecked.

What I don't understand is, why does he stay here? He seems to enjoy nothing of this place. But, much like a traffic accident, I cannot seem to help myself from reading it.
08-23-2010, 08:47 AM,
David,

Thank you for expressing so clearly what so many of us feel about Doug Bower's blog. The responses to your post suggest that you may have started a movement!

Doug's blog was intermittently unavailable yesterday, and it is again unavailable as I write this morning. I suspect this is no coincidence. During the time that it was available yesterday, I noticed that he had--finally--added a Comments button. However, clicking on that button opened a box that included a strange, long-winded "warning," which concluded as follows: "Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author." Shades of that other gtolist.

Good luck getting through that barrier, or through in any way to Doug Bower.

Don Coulter
08-23-2010, 08:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2010, 08:57 AM by admin.)
David,

Thank you for posting your thoughts here. I'm sorry you had such an unfortunate experience in having them censored on the other message board of a [formerly] similar name.

I established this Forum in late February 2010 as the 'owner' of that glorifiedgmailgooglegrouplist deemed I wasn't worthy enough to be approved for membership. This forum is, as it states on its splash page, open to all, non-discriminatory and is uncensored/unmoderated. It respects that we are all adults, intelligent and fair in our comments.

http://www.gtolist.com extends invitations to Mr. Bower and to Lemuria/Lorel/Leslie to join us and contribute to the on-going discussions here..

Bill Byrnes
Admin of www.gtolist.com
08-23-2010, 08:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2010, 09:24 AM by soledad.)
[fixed over-quoting - TIP use NEW REPLY button at the Top of the message instead of the REPLY button at the bottom which generates all the redundant 'quoting' as its called] admin

Hmmm for some reason i cannot get a tabla rasa to post a reply..maybe that is because i haven't had all my rations of coffee this morning. Regardless i think there are public forums that Doug Bower uses from time to time that one may respond to his rantings.
He is all over the web so he can't be hard to find. Another "open forum" that directly impacts Bower are those sites that promote the sale of his writtings and allow the public to do reviews and ratings. I recall that Mike Holgate did so at Amazon.com and as i have seen any critical review is usually responded to my Bower. Another thought is to set up a web page closely titled to Bower's page so the community might refute his social commentaryt. Just my thoughts.
Don your right.the blog is gone...I did see it earlier today. I am sure it will be back.
08-23-2010, 09:26 AM,
Soledad, You are correct> Mr Bower does belong and participate in many other on-line venues [and under different names]. It was on one of them that David posted his comment which was then censored/removed.

http://groups.google.com/group/gtoconnec...0d7a00c09d
08-23-2010, 01:54 PM,
This morning I attempted to post on Doug Bower's blog. Like David Rogers, I think the most appropriate place to comment on it would be on the blog itself, not here on gtolist.com. As I mentioned in my earlier post here, it appeared that Doug had finally opened his blog to comments, and I looked forward to a lively discussion.

Now, however, I find that Doug's blog remains as hermetically sealed as ever. At least that's what I think he says in his latest blog entry. Like most of what he writes, his entry is less than crystal clear.

Here is what I tried to post on Doug's blog:

Your attack on David Rogers is completely unwarranted. In the first place, your implication that he is a "gringolandian" is way off-base. A few facts about David: He is from Australia, and therefore not a "Gringo" by the most common Mexican definition. He does not live in what you have called a "Gringo enclave" but instead lives in a neighborhood of mostly Mexicans. He takes Spanish lessons several days a week. He belongs to community organizations. He regularly participates in local culture. He has Mexican friends. What is "gringolandian" about this?

And what on earth does David's request that you open your blog to comments have to do with "death threats," liberalism, or, for heaven's sake, Sarah Palin?

Kindly note that my comment meets your criteria of being free of "threats or profanity and general vileness." I will nonetheless be stunned if you allow it to appear on your blog.

Don Coulter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Expats In Mexico Survey 2022 roberb7 2 865 02-09-2022, 12:12 PM
Last Post: jesm
  Book Recommendation: Why We Left - An Anthology of Women Expats abbubble 2 1,751 03-13-2019, 02:25 AM
Last Post: DonJuane
  Meeting some expats - Organic food and yoga Monica 13 3,512 01-05-2019, 11:09 PM
Last Post: DonJuane
  Meeting up with expats parkview 3 1,606 12-25-2018, 09:53 AM
Last Post: parkview
  Fellow English-speaking Expats and Visitors Forestmoods 4 2,558 11-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Last Post: cab2345
  Meeting GTO expats KatiaH 3 2,777 12-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Last Post: peddler665
  Registering our daughter for a birth certificate - any expats had to do this? Mykul 11 5,329 11-14-2015, 10:28 PM
Last Post: jorgecastelazo
  a quote for prospective expats raquelita 0 1,816 12-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Last Post: raquelita
  mexicobob: a great blog for improving your Spanish & more raquelita 4 4,287 07-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Last Post: Barbara
  Term Life and other financial services for expats expat planner 1 3,104 06-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Last Post: mr bill