Embajadoras mess
07-11-2014, 10:36 AM,
Embajadoras mess
It just gets worse and worse. Does anyone know what the plan is? Has there been anything in the Correo or other paper? From looking at the banner over the tunnel which brags about spending 15 million pesos on this, it sure looks stupid. Just what I always wanted was to stroll thru a park-like setting at Embajadoras minus the plants which they removed. And meanwhile, traffic is backed up to Escuela Normal and beyond. On a Friday afternoon I was backed up in the tunnels since the cars coming from Presa wouldn't let any car in front of them to go up to the Panoramica.

It sure looks like the street will not be replaced. If that is the case, then the tunnel they put in maybe 15 yrs ago, going to the right, with an exit onto Presa is just a waste of $. And how do you get to the bus stop and Belauzaran? I guess I get home the long way on Panoramica.

Maybe the worst part is that all the vendors seem to have been pushed up to the further end of the blvd by the tunnel. Unless you are really hungry and want to find some food, why would you even bother going there? Is the plan to modernize Gto. so that there are no more vendors? That would seem to be contrary to the UN funding of a historic city. I could go on bitching for quite awhile, but I'd rather just get an update from someone who knows what's happening.

Thanks for any info.
07-11-2014, 04:36 PM,
RE: Embajadoras mess
There have been a few articles in Correo over the past several months, and I imagine a.m. has had a few as well. The plan is to connect the Embajadoras park to the long traffic island where the Monumento a la Bandera is. (Since there's almost never a flag there, I call it Monumento sin la Bandera.) This will eliminate the two retornos, or U-turn connections, there, forming one long park and pedestrian area. Sounds like a good deal to me, at least in concept.

The main streets themselves will be restored, one on either side of the park. As for the removal of plants, landscaping is also in the works.

How long this will take is anyone's guess. I saw a mention somewhere that the work may not be finished until Cervantino. Don't know if that's true.

As for the vendors, they should be able to return to their old locations eventually. If not, they'll surely raise hell. Guanajuato's pols seldom dare to mess with street vendors.

Traffic has indeed been bottled up, but in general it's getting better. I walk downtown from the Presa area every day, and on most days lately, traffic has "only" been backed up to the Cambio. It was much worse at first, but I suspect many drivers have learned to take alternative routes. If the traffic was backed up all the way to the Escuela Normal today, that's unusual.

This Embajadoras renovation is part of the same plan that included the repaving of Sangre de Cristo. At least they didn't do both at the same time.

Don
07-14-2014, 08:03 AM,
I noticed on my walk yesterday that they are alternating traffic direction down the open street adjacent to the market. When it gets backed up to the normal they stop the traffic coming up toward the embajadoras and let the traffic going towards the centro go through. Seems to be helping.
07-17-2014, 01:56 PM,
I talked to the proprietor of what is, IMHO, the best shrimp cocktail bar in GTO. It's currently located very close to where Sangre de Cristo hits Embajadores. (He had to relocated across the street from the park.) He thinks the work will be completed sometime in October. Or November.
09-28-2014, 12:00 PM,
The park, as now re-designed, is part of the overall plan to make GTO attractive to foreigners who bring in lots of $$$$$$$$$$$ with renting rooms in hotels, spending big sums of money eating at fine restaurants every day, and renting expensive homes. There will be no "grassy areas" in the Embajadores anymore for the average Mexican to take his family and enjoy a weekend. It's a very "formal" type of re-model that's quite ugly compared to what was there before. The only good thing is that all the electrical and plumbing below the street was completely redone and replaced. Also, that the streets will be much "prettier" than before.

Get used to it. This is the overall plan for all of GTO, particularly anywhere near the main economic centers. Soon, GTO will be a lot like San Miguel, catering mainly to American ex-pats and ripping up not only streets and parks to present the "correct American-type image", but also cultural things will be pushed out the door. Now we have STARBUCKS, MC DONALDS, KFC, DOMINOS and RADIO SHACK.........and a lot more garbage will be coming.......that's the plan. Make it just like beautiful USA.
09-30-2014, 09:05 AM,
I'm not sure I agree with this last posting. First of all, the grassy areas in Embajadores were minimal to say the least and rarely used by locals and foreigners for anything (I live near the park and would pass by it daily and multiple times during the day). I see far more people enjoying the grassy areas of the park up by the Presa, this past Sunday being a prime example.

GTO is an urban space, small, but urban nonetheless, and big grassy parks do not necessarily work in a city of this size with limited land resources for expansion.

Additionally, the $ provided for the Embajadores renovation were federal funds rather than local ones.

Finally, the emergence of chain outlets (in this case US based ones) sadly is inevitable across the globe. This is easy to deal with. don't shop there. I NEVER buy coffee from Starbucks, but from Cafe Tal. I would never go into KFC with that delicious roasted chicken place right across the street. But you may note that the vast majority of customers at these places tend to be the locals rather than the visitors or foreigners with lots of money being drawn in as you so say. And while you and I and others might not like to see the expansion of these greedy US chains, I think it is presumptuous of us to deny the locals (WHERE EVER they may be--be it here in GTO, Mexico, Fez, Morocco or Delhi, India) access to these chains that promote themselves worldwide.
09-30-2014, 11:48 AM,
Great post DML!
I of course think it is great because I agree with it. Smile
I use to get upset when I'd see a new US franchise "Ruin" a favorite of mine (Shades of Puerto Vallarta) but then realized they are overwhelmingly supported by locals. While I eat fast food in the US less than 6 times a year I must confess after a couple of months eating delicious Mexican cooking I have on rare occasions been tempted by such.
It has yet to happen in Guanajuato but with a 2 month trip this year I may be tempted to some fries/malt & burger.
PS
I will not however ever be found in a Mexican Starbucks.
Also Bill. Why is this in this section?
09-30-2014, 09:29 PM,
Thanks peddler665! Also, with the exception of KFC, all those other chains have been here for some time now. Additionally, it turns out the largest (and fanciest) Starbucks is in New Delhi, India.

And you know what...sometimes I want a subway sandwich dammit! And I won't feel guilty about it either. (I spend far more at my favorite tamale, taco and gordita stands.)

I think this thread was posted here incorrectly to start with.......

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Light-filled casita near Embajadoras for long-term stays kimmy 0 845 11-15-2018, 09:16 AM
Last Post: kimmy