Lousy Telmex Internet Connections
04-12-2014, 10:30 PM,
Lousy Telmex Internet Connections
Over the past few days my connection to the internet has been a mess - up/down constantly thoughout the day - has anyone else esp. in la Presa/Embajadoras been experiencing the same great service?
04-12-2014, 11:14 PM,
RE: Lousy Telmex Internet Connections
Yes. Glad you posted because my computer had just been to VREC, didn't know what to think.
04-13-2014, 09:52 AM,
We as well,Bill. Strong, then gone.... Repeatedly! Competition, please some competition.
04-13-2014, 10:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-13-2014, 10:53 AM by kasugie.)
4 things going on.....

(1) The relatively old copper infrastructure (in terms of internet time) is literally and figuratively rusting away. Guanajuato's connection to the internet backbone is way-over-capacity as well. Last year Telmex actually layed fiber optic internet trunks throughout the city, with the intention to upgrade everyone to a more reliable, higher capacity service. La Presa was intended to be a test case for connections. But, connecting homes even in a relatively modern neighborhood has proven to be too troublesome. So, Telmex abandoned this "proyecto" for the time being, and is now connecting Marfil and the outlying fraccionamientos instead - "low hanging fruit" from a telecom engineering perspective. Sucks to us us.

(2) I believe one of their trunks passes along Sangre de Cristo. Temporary moves seem to be cutting off service. Sucks to be us.

(3) Telmex has adopted Time Warner, Comcast, and AT&T's policy towards quality of service towards Skype, Netflix, and other 3rd party streaming services. Unless they pay for a service level agreement, these services get low priority treatment on their backbone routers. It's a complicated business, as Netflix and other streaming services have enlisted other 3rd party cloud/edge services to optimize their streaming everywhere in the cloud. But, these cloud services, (who've been paid billions of dollars) then flood the ultimate internet service providers, who are rightfully (and legally) pissed that they're not cut into these deals. Sometimes (in the case of Skype), they go out of their way to disrupt the service. Other times, they simply give these services low priority on their backbone routers and switches. Pretty well sums up the reason Netflix capitulated to Comcast a couple of weeks ago.

(4) Telmex has taken this one step further. I'm pretty well convinced they are siphoning off a portion of everyone's promised (but not guaranteed) bandwidth to support their new Claro video streaming service. Had they done this AFTER deploying fiber optic internet service to everyone in Guanajuato, very few would have noticed. But, given everyone's service is broken, it simply makes a bad situation worse. Sucks to be us.

Bottom line is we're screwed. 4G wireless internet is a viable alternative and provides similar bandwidth to what Telmex is offering with fiber optic service. However, Telcel, Movistar, Nextel, and iUSACELL have no plans to deploy this service in Guanajuato anytime soon.
04-13-2014, 12:46 PM,
Yes, my house in right in the Centro, two blocks off Alonso, and for the last couple of weeks the Internet has been problematic. It seems that the signal is up and down, pretty weak, and I have to reset my modem just about every day. At first, I thought it was my modem -- I have an Apple modem (stronger signal) daisy-chained to my telmex modem via ethernet cable in order to get a higher level of wireless security-lock in this student-ridden neighborhood. But, no, it seems to be Telmex. The Claro thing makes sense: I've been bombarded with sales phone calls about it, and sales reps have actually come right to my door to sell me the "service" which I don't want. Nothing to be done, I supposeā€¦.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Temporary suspension of internet service MissMyBike 0 289 07-21-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: MissMyBike
  Internet Service Provider MissMyBike 3 748 05-24-2022, 10:16 AM
Last Post: DonJuane
  Telmex - lack of presense DonJuane 4 1,138 08-02-2021, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Mikel1
  tech/internet repair person Ann001 1 994 03-12-2021, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jesm
  Internet service suzyngto 9 2,688 07-14-2020, 03:01 PM
  Fooling the internet peddler665 6 3,169 03-19-2020, 12:59 AM
  Telmex fiber optic jesm 4 1,632 07-16-2019, 12:53 AM
  Ordering internet service in English Waymond Smith 1 1,389 12-07-2018, 03:54 PM
Last Post: jesm
  Internet Providers? Lee Collins 0 1,055 08-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Lee Collins
  High Speed Internet flashpop 8 3,782 02-13-2018, 04:42 PM