Dallas-GTO Chamber of Commerce Results
07-24-2010, 07:57 AM,
Dallas-GTO Chamber of Commerce Results
Success in Dallas for the Poor in Central Mexico

My message on July 23, 2010 at the Chamber of Commerce Convention at the Dallas City Hall was simple, ?The Mothers and Children living in rural communities have seen the same economic amazing opportunities that each of you has seen today, but without knowledge they cannot reach them. The know that they cannot reach them so they sent me to ask you to give them access to knowledge.?

At home in Central Mexico I had only a week to prepare. To ask me to leave Mexico on such short notice was hard. I mean it when I say that since early 2005, my heart is solely in Mexico. However, those who know my passion were there for me. Steve assured me that the Rotary members would be supportive. Martha coached me on how to address individuals, one-on-one, who have tremendous social influence. Peggy, Sandra, Connie and Kay all expressed the needs of their nonprofits and how I would be representing their missions too. And my family was 100% behind me, so I prepared.

As I was boarding the airplane I noticed that two volunteers from Oregon were also there. Out tiny 3-row seat plane had the three of us all in the same row. He was an ESL teacher with fluent Spanish had helped in a swimming class in our pool and she had been a special needs teacher for years so she assisted at equine therapy in our rancho arena. Now they both carefully examined the photo album I created, the brochures in both English ad Spanish, my new business cards and the flyer related to economics. They both assured me that I was on target and my message would be clear even if my Spanish was not. They were right.

The fates sat me next to a businessman from Dallas on the next leg who had given birth to fraternal twins 6 years previously. After seeing my photos he told the story, the painful heart-wrenching story of their birth. The day that both were to check out from the hospital, the boy was asked to stay for one more test. The patient family waited with their infant girl in their arms. Hours later it was confirmed that he had a rare liver disorder. Only then was the infant girl examined, but it was already too late, she died within 4 days. Although the infant boy survived, he suffered several strokes and other complications that have left him wheel chair bound and silent. The caring father assured me that both children with challenges and those unable to communicate with others need strong advocates. He left me in Dallas feeling sure I was taking the right step forward to help those living in my village.

Now I totally understand why Peter, Jo and Katherine love Guanajuato (GTO): they have the very same respect for relationships and the same hospitality rules as Mexicans. Peter, a teacher of students recovering from academic failures, was there to meet me at the airport. He then chased me down and tracked my movements that changed like the ball on a pool table during a professional game. Peter never lost sight of the fact that I was in Dallas ?on a mission? and he adapted himself to the role of both protector and guide throughout the three days. He drove me to and from the conference events and in the process gave me a chance to see a side of Dallas I had never realized existed. His family resides in an older more settled community where 60 story glass buildings do not exist. Their home is a quiet area filled with some of the biggest oak trees I have ever seen and established no-two-alike homes with lush foliage around them. The family resides near a large lake, many expansive parks and even a piece of unspoiled original Texas prairie where never before identified plants have been discovered. After seeing their modeled plaster walls with variegated rich colors, Jo?s kitchen with visible tools and intense deep colors, their oak-floored home, with expansive patios and outdoor greenery, it was clear to me why they find Guanajuato another place of comfort. In Dallas they live with many of the same charm that I see in Central Mexico. Sharing their home the night before the convention allowed me to feel relaxed and not nearly as detached from my Mexico home as I feared I might have been.

Peter allowed me to be over-cautious and get to the meeting very early on Friday. What a great gift that was for me. I was able to connect with Gustavo Trevino before anyone arrived. His desires for Mexico, more educational opportunities, mirrored mine. He further encouraged me. Soon I met Josie Orosco, Executive Director of the Chamber of Commerce, the person who made me feel so welcome with my first phone call to inquire about the conference. I began to help Gustavo, Josie and several others set up for the conference by placing schedules, sorting items into gift bags and other last minute activities. Before I knew it I was in the 8:30am press conference with about 65-75 mostly Spanish speakers from all over Dallas and GTO.

Each person, from the dignitaries front and center of the room, to the last minute arrivals, we all introduced ourselves in Spanish. I met a lady with a sewing business, she said her GTO seamstresses probably made my shawl. I meet a lady with cactus cosmetics to be made in GTO. A few near me were not Spanish-speakers and that helped my confidence levels. I was able to get my message across easily but when I exclaimed that I lived in CAAAAA-JONES, GTO the men just roared! I knew then that (somehow) the day would be a success. That relaxing feeling was amplified when Josie said, in front of everyone sitting in the press room, that she had found a spot for me to speak in the main program. My heart nearly came out of my chest before it slowed to normal and I began to wonder who I would be understood.

The earphones (for translating) that I expected were not forthcoming. The meeting was about 80% spoken Spanish and 50% written Spanish on the Power Points. 9:30am to 3:30pm as the new timeframe allocated and most of the program was right on schedule. The President of DIF, Lupita Garcia de Ramirez, looked over my photos as she was sitting next to the Mayor of Salamanca who adored the photo of me at the orphanage in his town. People gave me their cards when I asked but few people passed out many of them.

As the morning went into afternoon I became more aware that I was learning more about the newness of Leon and Sileo than I wanted to accept as possible to be so near to my village with so many needs. Apparently I was not alone because Ramon Ascenio, Undersecretary of Investment Promotion, asked if he could join me for lunch. He wanted to know more about my work and the living conditions in my village. After talking with me for a while, he assured me that change was coming. He stated that he was sure he?d get me help getting books into Mexico. I never doubted that he spoke to me from his heart.

After lunch people spoke even faster as the time was running out. We had already gone over an hour past time when Josie called my name to the stage. Not one, but three people had offered to translate for me. I was ready.

After stating my name I said, ?You know my birth certificate says I?m Polish and Scottish, but my heart is Mexican.? The room went silent, everyone looked at me. I went on to say, ?The message we all saw today, fancy new buildings, spotless technical equipment, clean lab robes and millions spent on modern buildings is also what my neighbors see, but unlike all of you, they can reach it. The cannot reach it because many of them do not have even 20 cents for a bus ticket to come to my house for free equine therapy for their disabled children. Funny thing is, only one mother out of the 665 children I examined over a year in rural areas asked for money, all the rest of them asked for access to knowledge. They simply asked for the opportunity to be able to help them selves. It was them, those mothers and children who sent me here today to ask you to help me get free books to Central Mexico.? The crowd roared, clapped, rang out!! Josie grabbed me, cameras flashed, Ramon Ascenio jumped up on the stage, more cameras flashed!! Soon Miguel Marquez Marquez Secretary of Social and Human Services and Luis Vargas Gutierrez, Undersecretary of Social Services promised help. Law firm Rizo, Alcazar & Assoc. assured me they would pay for books to be moved into Mexico. Juan Carlos Diosdado Plascencia, Institute of he Mexican Interior promised to get me to the Department of Education at the federal level and a complete program for preschool in bilingual format. Hugo Garcia from San Luis de la Paz promised help with translating for anyone, anytime I needed.

For the next 90 minutes I was outside talking with people, then I was whisked away to the Ramada Inn for another two-hour presentation about the pain from drug cartels and what actions can be taken to stop the harm coming to youth as a result. Only rarely was the harm to the country, or to their pocket books mentioned, the focus was the harm to their youth. That?s why I live in Mexico, it is the children who are most loved, business takes a back seat to family every time. It was that side of the people in the conference who listened to me, the beauty of the Mexican devotion to family that is going to make my efforts get results. I thank everyone who made that dream and reality for rural mothers and children just wanting access to knowledge.

For more information, sign on to Facebook and PLEASE sign our petition for literacy to help us get funding for a library: http://www.causes.com/petitions/503 or for more information on our work look at http://www.causes.com/causes/503970

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TV Broadcast Antenna Locations in GTO MissMyBike 1 392 04-09-2023, 01:04 PM
Last Post: roberb7
  GTO organization Las Libres stepping up distribution of abortion pills roberb7 0 582 07-15-2022, 03:12 PM
  GTO has a dog whisperer jesm 0 584 07-04-2022, 07:09 AM
Last Post: jesm
  Fly with dog to GTO M Webber 1 791 01-10-2022, 02:47 AM
Last Post: mr bill
  Getting to know GTO wmeleney 2 1,060 10-25-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: wmeleney
  COVID conditions and restrictions in GTO wmeleney 2 1,165 09-03-2021, 10:15 PM
Last Post: DonJuane
  COVID-19 vaccinations in GTO March 19-21 roberb7 3 1,714 03-25-2021, 09:59 PM
  Moving Household items and tools to GTO M Webber 2 1,428 02-02-2021, 09:39 PM
Last Post: mr bill
  Oxygen shortage in GTO roberb7 0 997 01-13-2021, 06:24 PM
  Shipping Parcels to GTO from US MissMyBike 2 1,472 11-16-2020, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Mikel1