New Panadería in Embajadoras
01-26-2014, 03:10 PM,
New Panadería in Embajadoras
Siskiyou Bakery is a keeper. Owner trained in Ashland, Oregon (that's why it's called Siskiyou Bakery ) and specializes in custom orders/requests, like Egg Challah, cinnamon rolls, vegetarian pizza, etc.

Padre Belauzaran #4 - just across from the Ponciano Aguilar tunnel entrance.
01-26-2014, 08:19 PM,
RE: New Panadería in Embajadoras
A staple seems to be their whole wheat garlic bread which I like best toasted. Also features small pan dulces made with regular flour. The bakery/pizzeria is a few doors below Embajadoras on the left going down Padre Belauzaran at #4. You'll see pizzas flaunted out front, with the bread in an interior display case. Open at least Monday-Friday. Definitely closed Sundays.
01-26-2014, 10:07 PM,
Another vote for a great bakery.
Gil came around to the restaurant when we had first opened and we have been using his products ever since.
Tasty bread and fantastic service from a nice guy. What more can you ask for.
02-28-2014, 08:47 PM,
A little update on Gil's behalf.
He is now selling his bread in the other doorway beside Los Campos.
So for those who don't care to walk up to his bakery you can get it on Calle Alonso now.
03-01-2014, 06:03 PM,
I don't know about the bread, but the pizza is gross. It's the same style as the other cheap pizzerias in town, but it's also undercooked, despite being tossed in the microwave before serving.
03-01-2014, 06:13 PM,
I gave him a little lecture regarding the pizza.

He is a good baker and I suggested he focus on some European style bread instead of offering up the same stuff that is all over town. He opened around the same time we did and became convinced that to succeed he needed to do what everyone else is doing.

I am pushing him to focus on the bread and ditch the other stuff...or to make a decent slice and charge a bit more.
03-03-2014, 10:04 AM,
It would be nice to have some onion and garlic bagels
03-03-2014, 12:13 PM,
Gil is open to all suggestions and will do custom orders....
03-04-2014, 12:15 PM,
When I i passed the bakery near Embajadoras yesterday, it was closed. Is Siskiyou Man only selling from Calle Alonso now?

About pizza, Mykul, if he wants to keep offering it, he'd likely find customers for a good veggie pizza. Also for a tasty fig bread (used to be available on Calle Alhondiga but no longer).

Improving his signage might lure more customers in. I notice he has advertised for a new panadero. As there are plenty of Mexican bakery outlets in town including one on Calle Alonso, I agree that carving out his own niche, not diluting with what is already available, is the way to go. I'm wishing him suerte.
03-05-2014, 09:45 AM,
Gil has had a tough time of it here.
He stopped by 2 days ago to tell me he is closing up shop.
I have offered him space here on Alonso to work in and am hoping he will accept and make another go of it.

I am just waiting to hear back on what he wants to do, so it seems my announcement was a little premature.

I will update you all once I have a better idea.

Michael

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1-2 Artists to Share Embajadoras Studio-Gallery Space CatherineH 1 1,231 01-26-2020, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Doyle Phillips
  sublet nr Embajadoras Market available for most of March raquelita 1 2,400 02-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Last Post: raquelita