Where To Buy Turkey
11-25-2013, 10:13 AM,
Where To Buy Turkey
Any suggestions as to where to buy a turkey, short of going to Mega and spending US$30 or $40 bucks? (for a small one)

Or is that Mexico's going price?

Has anyone seen any turkey bargains at Bodega Aurrera in Silao? (being the closest possible bargain point) I've never been there, and when I look on Google Maps Street View, all I see is a vacant lot.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
11-25-2013, 11:46 AM,
RE: Where To Buy Turkey
Like sweet potatoes, turkey is not a common food in Mexico, so there is little competition to lower prices.

However, you can buy one for less in the campo, but you will have to kill and dress it yourself.
Jacqueline Mackenzie, PhD
(nonprofit) Summerland - Tierra de Verano
http://www.spanishimmersioneducation.org
Nuevo Cajones, GTO
11-25-2013, 01:10 PM,
Turkeys are in fact indigenous to Mexico so not sure why they are not more popular.
I was once at Calix just outside of Toluca visiting the round "Pyramid" ruins when a lady with two dogs came by herding a flock of turkeys. Not our white farm raised hybreds but very similar to the wild ones that I see along almost every California trail I have hiked
11-25-2013, 09:52 PM,
We got ours at Costco in Leon on Sunday. MX$312 pesos for a 7.1 kilo bird. (no cranberries thought...either fresh or frozen)
11-27-2013, 12:41 PM,
dried cranberries waiting to be reinflated are often sold along the street near Mercado Hidalgo and maybe at La Comer too. I think turkey may be a popular dish here, for those who can afford it, on the Noche Buena (Christmas eve). I've had it sliced and prepared in orange juice.