crappy Interent for the past week or so
09-17-2013, 11:07 AM,
crappy Interent for the past week or so
Anyone else experiencing lousy [or lousier-than-normal] service over the past week or so - connection constantly dropping etc.?
09-17-2013, 12:38 PM,
RE: crappy Interent for the past week or so
Yep - dropped Skype calls happening all-too-frequently as well. I'm sure if someone contacts Telmex, they'll blame everything on the hurricane.
09-17-2013, 01:43 PM,
A friend of mine, a physicist and electronics engineer, told me that wet weather -- fog, drizzle, rain, etc. -- affects DSL service through the phone lines. I actually have found that to be the case, both in the U.S. and in M?xico. This is a local situation; I think Telmex is not the blame in this case!
09-17-2013, 04:24 PM,
There maybe something to that theory - I've been measuring my service throughout the day, and my speed seems to be back to "normal" as the weather has dried out.
09-19-2013, 08:04 AM,
Yesterday, after reading that some posters had been experiencing crappy internet from their Telmex Infinitum connections, I decided to run a speed test on my own connection. After doing so I found out that apparently Telmex had finally ended their trial run of 20 mbps speed over the new fiber optic line that they had installed at my house on June 3, 2013. My speed was back to the old 5 mbps.

It was strange though how I never missed the 20 mbps or noticed that it had dropped back to 5 mbps, nor am I presently noticing any drop in apparent speed at 5 mbps.

For that reason I think that I will choose to not upgrade to the paid 10 or 20 mbps service.

I will wait and see though, due to the fact that I run all my TV service from the internet now, over a Roku Device, accessing "USTVNow" as my basic cable, and "Netflix USA" as my movie channel, having dropped the use of Shaw Direct Satellite TV in 2011, due to excessive cost.
09-19-2013, 09:40 AM,
I had something weird happening Wednesday afternoon. I could access most sites, but not all. And one of the sites I could not access was http://broughton.ca

Now, this might not seem like a big problem, because I already know what's on this site. Unfortunately, I couldn't access email, either, and that's a problem.

The site is hosted by 1and1.com, and their data centre is in Kansas. Another site I have hosted there was also inaccessible, and the 1and1.com site itself was inaccessible.

I picked up my smart phone, which is connected to iusacell (thus taking TelMex out of the picture), and my site and email worked fine.

I tried calling 1and1.com's tech support, and they pleaded ignorance.

Then I called TelMex's tech support. The tech support lady could access my site OK. She made some suggestions, which I followed. Her basic idea was that the problem was on my computer. This turned out to be incorrect, because I borrowed a computer on the other side of town for a minute, and had the same problem there.

When I got home at about 9:30 PM, the problem had just gone away. Whatever it was, it affected Guanajuato, but not all of Mexico.

One thing I did not try (and I'm kicking myself for this) was activating my proxy server connection. I presume that, as long as I could access the proxy server through TelMex, I should be able to access anything.
09-19-2013, 10:03 AM,
We see many, frequent ads on TV for a banda ancha service called Blue. Ad says only available in metro DF. Anyone know about this? If successful there it should likely expand. With new Telecommunications law there must be Infinitum competition coming.
09-19-2013, 10:09 AM,
Running Speed tests are fine if the system [internet connection] is running. The problem as I see it is that the connection keeps dropping.

Like Janoni I too have dropped my Shaw satellite service - I don't watch enough TV to justifify the expense. My Roku box works fine* and USTVNOW gets the basics. PBS is now crap [too many 'non-commercials']. TVO [Toronto] and KNOW [Vancouver] were much better and I haven't found Inspector Gadget or Tin-Tin anywhere on ROKU. The 'free' content on ROKU is mas o menos worthless. TED of course is good but for children's programs the free stuff is pretty amatuer.

Most of the better stuff is blocked in Mexico so one has to set-up a VPN [J are you doing this for Netflicks? - if so please post some tips]

*works fine if the Internet is working

ROKU vs AppleTV: both have HDMI outputs. ROKU also has standard red/white/yellow video connectors for older TV's which is a plus. On the other hand AppleTV has an Ethernet input that solves problems if you have poor wireless.
09-19-2013, 11:36 AM,
If you do not want to be blocked from USA sites on your Roku Device, I would suggest subscribing to UnblockUS which is a Canadian company offering a "Smart DNS" service for 4.99/month Canadian. Essentially you enter their DNS servers into your router configuration and it fools sites like Nefilx USA into thinking you are in the USA. It works for Netflix and about 30 other streaming sites that are normally accessed via streaming players such as Roku Devices. However this service is not a VPN, but rather, as mentioned, a "Smart DNS" service. UnblockUS and Smart DNS can be googled.

Note that USTVNow does not require the use of Smart DNS or a VPN. However, it is very important to know that if you are using UnblockUS in order to receive Netflix USA or the such, that you SHOULD NOT use the normal UnblockUS DNS servers. You should use their alternate servers which are 184.106.242.193 and 67.23.7.56 . Using their normal servers are fine for NetflixUSA etc., but the normal servers will cause USTVNow to not function. (Also note that if using UnblockUS DNS with Roku, only enter their DNS into your router, not into your computer. Use your normal DNS servers in your computer)

Also, someone posted that some sites were not coming in, and others were, on their Infiinitum connections. That is a DNS problem. Note that what I am talking about here has nothing to do with what I was talking about in the above two paragraphs. I would download and run "Namebench" which is a program, that when run, will find the fastest DNS servers for your system and geographical location. Telmex's DNS servers are very fast, but I have suspected them of screwing up a lot lately so I ran Namebench and found that their were some OpenDNS servers that were faster and more efficient. I am currently using one of the recommended OpenDNS servers in my #1 slot on my computer, and Telmex's second server in my #2 slot on my computer.
09-19-2013, 12:15 PM,
Quote:Most of the better stuff is blocked in Mexico so one has to set-up a VPN [J are you doing this for Netflicks? - if so please post some tips]

You don't actually need a VPN for Netflix. Netflix does however, decide which content is available to you based on where it thinks your computer is, not where you purchased your membership. For example, if you took your laptop to Egypt with you, you would only be able to watch films that Netflix makes available in Egypt.

I discovered that "Hell on Wheels" was available on Netflix in the US, but not in Mexico. Fired up the VPN, and was able to get "Hell on Wheels". It works both ways. "The Pope of Greenwich Village", a film which I still haven't seen, is available in Mexico, but not in the US.

You definitely need the VPN for Hulu and Pandora, two resources that I can't do without.

Quote:Also, someone posted that some sites were not coming in, and others were, on their Infiinitum connections. That is a DNS problem.

Maybe, but maybe not. Up until yesterday afternoon, I was using Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). One ot the things the TelMex lady told me to do was to change this to pick up the Infinitum DNS servers automatically. I did this, and it made no difference.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
cat Bring back in a week or so? Doyle Phillips 0 686 12-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Doyle Phillips
  Lousy internet for past week or so mr bill 12 2,991 10-29-2014, 07:33 AM
Last Post: mr bill
  Free sterilization campaigns next week Amigos de los Animales 0 708 09-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Amigos de los Animales
  Sterilization campaigns this week Amigos de los Animales 0 541 08-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Amigos de los Animales
  Finally! Arriving this week. Mykul 1 1,133 08-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Last Post: peddler665
  Graduation Week in Rural GTO & house rebuilding Jzmackenzie 0 1,010 07-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Last Post: Jzmackenzie
  Anyone going to US in the next week, willing to mail a letter? srmisterio 0 1,079 05-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Last Post: srmisterio
  Natura organic store opens next week here! Barbara 1 1,460 02-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Mykul
  A FREE WEEK BY THE LAKE IN AJIJIC Gigi Harrison 2 1,644 12-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Last Post: McMurphy_RP
  Need one week rental in January jrobillard 2 1,938 12-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Last Post: doncoulter