Western Union scam?
12-07-2011, 08:55 AM,
Western Union scam?
I just received an email from people I barely know. Here is what it said:

Hope you get this on time, I made a trip to UK(Scotland) and had my bag stolen from me with my passport, cash and credit cards in it. Unfortunately for me, I've made contact with my bank but they are not providing a fast solution. I need you to lend me some money to sort my self out of this predicament, I will pay back as soon as I return.

Western Union transfer is the best option to send money to me. Let me know if you need my details(Full names/location) to make the transfer. You can reach me via email danandada1928@yahoo.com or the May Marriott Aberdeen hotel's desk phone +44702-409-8795
-------------
If these are the people that I think they might be, I can't imagine them asking me for $. So let's beware and see if this kind of thing shows up from anyone else.
12-07-2011, 10:08 AM,
RE: Western Union scam?
Most definitely a scam. Their email has been hacked.
12-07-2011, 10:32 AM,
Yes, a day or two ago I received a similar message (supposedly an urgent problem in England) from a person whom I do know pretty well. Obviously, his e-mail had been hacked.

I want to let him know that, but does anyone know if I do send him an e-mail (at his regular e-mail address, not of course replying to the hacked e-mail message) my own e-mail could somehow be hacked because of the connection? The hacker already has my e-mail, apparently, but would getting in touch with my friend somehow make matters worse?
12-07-2011, 11:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-07-2011, 11:07 AM by The Duck.)
How can anyone fall for this B/S in the first place?

Google a phrase from the message and see what comes up - this scam/hoax has been going around for years -- this version is harmless as all it leads to are dead ends.

You can also Google the Hotel [there is no "May Marriott" anywhere on Earth] and its "phone" which leads right back to the hoax.
12-07-2011, 01:58 PM,
Yes, it is the right thing to do to alert the "victim" that her/his email files have been breached. Send a normal message and it will go thru - unless someone else has alerted previously and the account was closed by the rightful owner- if so you will get a "failure" notice. This has become a way-too common thing, a variation of the "Nigerian oil discovery" scam we see frequently.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When are Regular Music Performances in Jardin de la Union? WriterinExile 1 1,246 08-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Last Post: WriterinExile
  BeWary: another phone scam Doyle Phillips 2 2,241 08-21-2015, 08:34 AM
Last Post: colleen
  Mcafee scam peddler665 3 2,540 01-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Last Post: peddler665
  Western Union scam update colleen 0 1,444 12-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Last Post: colleen