The Forums of Guanajuato
surprising crime stats, México - Printable Version

+- The Forums of Guanajuato (https://www.gtolist.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.gtolist.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Guanajuato Forums (https://www.gtolist.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: surprising crime stats, México (/thread-3054.html)

Pages: 1 2

surprising crime stats, México - Doyle Phillips - 06-09-2015

Mexico has very low violent crime rates.

The U.S. Assault rate is 5 times higher than Mexico’s. Mexico’s violent crime rates for Assault, Kidnapping and Rape are substantially lower than Canada’s and yet the U.S. State Department issues no such warnings for Canada. The rate for Rape in the U.S. is more than double the rate in Mexico. The numbers in the charts below have been adjusted for unreported crime from the respected 2012 Prominix report and are the most accurate statistics available on this subject.

Unless you are involved in the drug trade, you are statistically safer in Mexico than anywhere else in North America.

Even though the U.S. murder rate of 4 per 100,000 is lower than Mexico’s, tourists and visitors are statistically safer in Mexico and much less likely to be a victim of violent crime than in the U.S., Canada and many other countries regarded as safe. More: http://howsafeismexico.com/global_crime_rates.html

RE: surprising crime stats, México - admin - 06-09-2015

Doyle, Did you write this piece?

RE: surprising crime stats, México - admin - 06-10-2015

On 06/10/2015 07:52 PM, dphoydia@gmail.com wrote:
Nope. The credit/website is at the end of the text.
====
Not sufficient. POST WILL BE REMOVED as it amounts to plagiarism. The only piece of 'original content' in it is the word "more".

You have done this before - don't do it again.

Bill/ADMIN
You can learn more about plagiarism here

RE: surprising crime stats, México - admin - 06-11-2015

ALSO Please Note that this is not "news" - It is very stale and be can be traced as far back as: www.puntamita.com › In the News › Media Coverage Dec 15, 2006 - 8 1/2 years ago! It is perhaps even older than that.

RE: surprising crime stats, México - Lisa Andrews - 06-11-2015

She was just publishing something she found and thought was interesting, calm down a little.

Whenever the facts are from I bet the rate of rape is a lot higher here than reported, even though it is meant to include that I think the system in countries like Australia and Canada has educated people more on what is rape, like in relationships or if you are really drunk it is still rape and people are starting to report those things, whereas I don't think it would even make the reported list here, I can imagine the police here taking it seriously, but I might be wrong I haven't had to report anything to them yet and hope to not find out!

I'm also guessing chance of dying in a car crash here would also be higher, but I haven't researched it just ventured out on the roads with the crazy drivers and seen at least 10 or more crash sites...

RE: surprising crime stats, México - jesm - 06-11-2015

Truly? I mean is this actually occuring, crass plagarism on a helpful and good, but small-time bulletin board in central Mexico? Can we not believe anyone anymore. Oh, the humanity!

RE: surprising crime stats, México - DonaldW - 07-09-2015

Deleted - Expired Post. The previous post was made in error due to a browser problem by the named user. The browser problem was such that the post appeared current when it was actually not. Therefore it is the desire of the owner of this post to delete the message. Sorry for any inconvenience.

RE: surprising crime stats, México - doncoulter - 07-09-2015

As a retired editor and journalist, DonaldW, I can tell you that your understanding of "what defines plagiarism" is misinformed. You might want to check out the link provided in admin's post above.

Be that as it may, I suspect that the plagiarism in the first post was innocent and unintentional. I nonetheless found that post confusing: some of it appeared to be lifted from somewhere, but it wasn't clear if the entire post was from the source linked to at the end. Your notion that "a quote surrounding copied material seems courteous but not mandatory" is, I think, asking for trouble. A couple of quotation marks is all that clarity requires. Why not go to that minimal effort?

I know of no respectable website that allows the quoting of published material without proper credit, and I don't see why posts on Gtolist should observe a lesser standard.

RE: surprising crime stats, México - admin - 07-09-2015

DonaldW writes, "... If you know someone, it's pretty easy to tell their writing style and what easily see what they have written and what they have copied"

There are now over 800 members of gtolist ... Admin finds it hard to keep up these days so those cute little quotation marks in their proper places help a lot.

RE: surprising crime stats, México - jesm - 07-09-2015

Over 800 members, fantastic! Allow me please to retract my earlier "small-time" description.