The Forums of Guanajuato
Anyone know a dependable private taxi service? - Printable Version

+- The Forums of Guanajuato (https://www.gtolist.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.gtolist.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Guanajuato Forums (https://www.gtolist.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Anyone know a dependable private taxi service? (/thread-1539.html)

Anyone know a dependable private taxi service? - jparrent - 10-01-2012

Hi there:

We are having a number of friends and family visiting in the next few months (after Cervantino). Since my husband and I are here serving with the Peace Corps, we are not allowed to own a car and getting permission to rent a car is a hassle for us as well.

So we are hoping someone may know a dependable private tourist taxi we might be able to hire for special times. We can use the normal taxis around town, but we are looking for someone willing to pick us up in San Miguel and pay them for 5-6 hour tourist visit to Atotonilco, Dolores, Santa Rosa, etc. We would also like them to be able to act as a shuttle to and from the airport. An English speaker would be preferable, but most of the folks coming speak enough Spanish to be able to communicate easily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jeanne

RE: Anyone know a dependable private taxi service? - mr bill - 10-01-2012

Hi Jeanne

Ramiro Guti?rrez P?rez
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Credencial: LO0045
Vigencia: 12-04-2013
Tipo: Gu?a local

Speaks excellent English and has a nice car.

I've lost his number - perhaps one of the other members has it?

Or the tourism office can help you

Cantarranas #5 Int. 6
Col. Centro C.P. 36000
Tel. y Fax: (473) 732 4363 / 732 9492
correo: turismo@guanajuatocapital.mx

RE: Anyone know a dependable private taxi service? - doncoulter - 10-01-2012

Ramiro: home 732-3549, cell 044-473-122-3758

RE: Anyone know a dependable private taxi service? - laconstance - 10-01-2012

I recommend Jorge: cel 473 108-5931
Green taxi #160
Speaks some English, is learning and loves to practice. He drove some guests of ours all around the Panoramica a year or so ago. He will pick you up and take you to the airport at all hours of the day or night. He does not do airport pickups, but I think that has more to do with the lock on taxi service that the Silao/Le?n drivers have on that service at the airport. It's easy, though, just buy a ticket across from the rental car places inside the airport when you come out of aduana.

Flecha Amarilla runs a bus to Dolores Hidalgo every 20 minutes. You don't have to go to the bus station to get it -- it stops on Alhondiga. Same bus stops at Santa Rosa, so you can buy a ticket only to there. City buses go infrequently to Santa Rosa, but I don't know how often.

Primera Plus goes to San Miguel de Allende, and it is a short trip: about 1:15, very reasonably priced. From there, other buses go to Antonilco and all other points.

I wonder why you want taxis everywhere? Admittedly, they are great if you are in a hurry or have a lot of stuff to carry. Is someone disabled and could not reasonably travel by bus? If not, try it! Take the local buses! Take the long distance buses! It is only in the USA where if you don't have a private car you are marooned. In M?xico, you can go anywhere by public transportation or ad hoc arranged transport on the fly. Loosen up and try it! You'll meet the locals and be richer for the experience.

RE: Anyone know a dependable private taxi service? - peddler665 - 10-02-2012

The cross country buses in Mexico are excellent. I have been using them for 26 years. Best way to go.
I have yet to ride the locals in Guanajuato but have done so in many other Mexican cities. Always fun & inexpensive. I'll be on board in G this January.

RE: Anyone know a dependable private taxi service? - jparrent - 10-03-2012

Just to clarify-we use the buses, both local and cross country all the time when we travel. And we love them. But occasionally, especially with friends, we want to be able to get off the beaten path to pueblos, etc. and just hang around for awhile without having schlep luggage with us.

So for instance, we will be on a 10 day trip to Guadalajara and SM and then home here to GTO. We will be going to Guadalajara by bus and to SM from Guadalajara by bus, but then we would like to take a "tourist day" on the way home by hiring a driver to take us back to GTO. In this case, our place in SM has a driving service we can hire. But there are times here in GTO where we want to spend a day exploring at our own pace in places that are a bit harder to get to by bus and we would like to have someone we can hire to do that. Also, it is great to know someone for the airport run. Although it does sound much easier to just take a cab from the airport here to GTO than to pay the back and forth for pickup.

The other limiting factor a bit to buses for us with my sister is that she is a professional photographer and not only does she carry a lot of fairly fragile, expensive equipment that she is nervous about leaving in the luggage area of the bus, she is interested in hiring someone for the day who can take her around at her own for a day stopping when and where she wants to take photos.

Thanks for all the ideas-keep the names coming if you have someone else you would like to recommend. :)

RE: Anyone know a dependable private taxi service? - peddler665 - 10-03-2012

Makes perfect sense to me. On our Honeymoon we used a guy all week in Guadalajara way back in '98.
If you ever need a driver/guide in The Zihuatanejo area I have a great guy who while Mexican grew up in The San Francisco Bay area so speaks perfect English.

RE: Anyone know a dependable private taxi service? - laconstance - 10-03-2012

If you want an exploratory trip starting in Guanajuato, I suggest that you talk to Jorge (see my post above). He may just be able to take you around all day!

RE: Anyone know a dependable private taxi service? - raquelita - 10-06-2012

I agree, the luggage compartment of an intercity bus would be a risky place to leave fragile, expensive equipment. A violinist played in borrowed shirtsleeves at the Gene Byron after his suitcase was stolen. Fortunately, he kept the violin with him. I have never had a problem in many trips however.

Re local buses, I ride one almost every day but their lack of maintenance bothers me. It's often a jolting, noisy ride. For inexpensive sightseeing within Guanajuato I recommend one of the newer Sprinters (minis).

RE: Anyone know a dependable private taxi service? - Mykul - 10-21-2012

We called Jorge tonight based on the recommendations here and will be using him tomorrow morning, will report back.