The Forums of Guanajuato

Full Version: Buying a Home In GTO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My wife and I visited GTO during March. Our daughter went to the University through a study abroad program and she lived in GTO for about 6 months. We are thinking about buying a home in GTO.

There is a home for sale on craigslist. In anyone familiar with this area? Is it a nice section of town? Is this house priced correctly for the area it is located in?

https://guanajuato.craigslist.com.mx/reo...g=en&cc=us

We are hoping to get some recommendations on what areas to look for homes and any house hunting recommendations. We want to stay under $130,000 and be in the city center area.

Thanks in advance.

Tom & Kim
We used to live across the callejon from this place, for two years. I liked the area because it's so close to town. 5 minutes easy walk down to the jardin principal.

This callejon gets a lot of foot traffic, people coming and going to El Pipila. Sometimes, there's a lot of noise. One of the things I didn't like was a roof dog next to our place that barked a lot at night. Poor thing, they almost never let him off the roof.

I mentioned the easy walk down. Not so easy coming back up. It's about 160 steps (yeah, I know, I like to count things) from the bottom and they get progressively steeper. It gets even steeper above this place (about another 160 steps) to arrive at the plaza del Pilila. Logistics of moving things are difficult because of the location. When we moved out, I hired a business to carry things up to their truck. It's a killer.

That said, I loved going up to the plaza at El Pipila at night or early in the morning when there's practically nobody there. In the end though, we decided the steps were just too much. Plus we started adopting street dogs and they didn't have much room.

Another things that was difficult was having a car. I don't recommend leaving your car parked up on the street by El Pipila. I rented a garage from somebody, but that meant I had to walk quite a ways to go get the car.

Also, when it rains hard, the callejon turns into a raging river with whitecaps. Kinda fun though as long as you're not out walking in it. :)

Another thing I liked was that you could hear bands playing down in centro. That was fun. These days, we're farther out, but we've got a cochera and outside space for the doggies.

Okay, hope that helps.
Try searching on Google.com.mx and look for Mexican real estate sites in GTO. You'll find a lot more listings. Also listings are not always exclusive here, same house could be listed by a few companies and at different prices. Searching in Spanish instead of English opens up more homes for sale, it's not an expat market as of yet here like SMA, PV or Ajijic. Suerte.
Thank you for the responses!
Any progress on the home buying? I’m just beginning to look online—will prob rent first, but very interested in other’s experiences buying...