The Forums of Guanajuato

Full Version: Mega Disappointment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
For me it seems the Mega store has really gone down hill over the years I have been here. Once again it seems their refrigeration has broken and they are scrambling to get it fixed. The problem is I believe they will try to sell all the stuff that was supposed to stay cold but didn't. So I can't buy any of that stuff for at least a few weeks. I see packaged meat from peneranda that apparently has defective packaging because the meat is going bad inside the package. I still witness the unpacking cleaning of mold and repacking of cheese. And one has to be blind not to see that the date labels on packaged meat have been changed the question is how many times.
I've been to HEB a few times they seem much better it would be great to have one of those here.
Seems like Commercial Mexicana, the retail chain that includes Mega, has been looking to sell for some time. Such a strategy often employs drastic cost reduction tactics so profit rises, attract buyers, and owners cash out. Looks like this approach definitely effected their store's quality but had the desired result as Grupo Soriana is now purchasing Commercial. We will have to see how the new Owner handles the Mega brand and outlets.

Agree totally about HEB, very well run stores with great merchandising. GTO just not large enough to support a store. Perhaps HEB could add a second location in Leon but closer for us, maybe near the new Liverpool.
I hope they don't turn it into a Soriana like the one we have. It's not a bad store but they don't have nearly the selection of things as the Mega.

DonaldW

Deleted - Expired Post. The previous post was made in error due to a browser problem by the named user. The browser problem was such that the post appeared current when it was actually not. Therefore it is the desire of the owner of this post to delete the message. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Surprising these points are often missed (1) That not every Mexican is a campesino and (2) the Starbucks/McDonalds/la Marina's etc are not built for "us" super affluent [really?] Gringos but for "them" Mexicans. Perhaps in part it is because Gringo contact with the Mexican population is limited to the level of domestic servants, restaurant employees and no more?
Excellent points, Mr. Bill. The Mega and its competitors would have gone bust long ago if their only customers were us deep-pocketed "gringos." I don't much care for the Mega myself, but my (Mexican) wife prefers it. Imagine that: a Mexican who likes the convenience of one-stop shopping as much as regular people do! She hasn't yet found any "isles" there, though, and would be interested in directions.

It's also worth noting that not everything at the Mega is overpriced. And it happens to have the best selection of beer, wine, and tequila in town. I've heard some Mexicans like to drink. :)

Don
My points in the original post are a frustration and that frustration is also because overall I do like the Mega and for many things I don't think the prices are high especially those New York and Rib Eye steaks that are tender and delicious and half the price of California I will say I buy my tequila at a small store in Tepetapa cien anos 100 pesos Mega 136 for the same bottle. that said a 1/4 kilo of almonds Embajadoras market 50 pesos Mega about 80. You gotta know how to shop this town. I too am Married to a Mexican and she likes the Mega. If you think about it how many Gringos in the store compared to Mexicans it is overwhelmingly Mexicans. Medio kilo of eggs 10 pesos at the Baritillo fruit market cheapest I've found. You gotta shop around They don't call me frugal Phil for nothing
"...And it happens to have the best selection of beer, wine, and tequila in town. SHOPPING TIP where else can you get 6 meses sin interes on booze? My other favorite time is the annual Julio Regalado week when toilet paper goes on sale 3x2 This year was a disappointment as my brand didn't make the list.

FrugalPhil -- Oso Negro does an annual promo or two where they pack a 250ml with the litre. On more than one occasion I've encountered tiendas pulling the little fellow out of the promo box and selling it separately. Then they sell the litre, still in the box, minus the 250.
I agree...point well made Bill.

Last I looked the Gringo population in GTO is a teeny tiny fraction compared to the Mexicans. Does one really think we are the only ones supporting this place? Additionally, every city I go to I see Mega, HEB, Soriana......and walmart, Costco, Sam's Sears, Liverpool...etc etc.

Really, do you think the "locals" can't afford to shop at these places? This country has far more money than you think it does

http://luxurysociety.com/articles/2014/0...ods-market

pianoheat, your original post in no way commented on how locals can't afford this store. I too agree it has gone downhill and always prefer to buy my meats and produce at the local markets.

DonaldW

Deleted - Expired Post. The previous post was made in error due to a browser problem by the named user. The browser problem was such that the post appeared current when it was actually not. Therefore it is the desire of the owner of this post to delete the message. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Pages: 1 2 3